Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2007 12:30:20 PM EDT
Anyone know much about a hogs vision?  Are they color blind?  Should I camo my face and hands or my rifle if they are inside 50 yards?  

Link Posted: 11/18/2007 12:31:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Old folk here say Hogs can see the wind blow. If so, I imagine they can see pretty good.

Danny
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 2:59:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I think they can smell a lot better than they can see. In most of my experiences they really don't care too much if people are around or not. We've rode up on them on our 4-wheelers to less than 80yds in the middle of an open field and they didn't care.

Also one night we were walking down a path to get to a spot where they were coming down a creek and under a fence but apparently they beat us out and we ended up walking into the middle of them. They didn't seem to mind that we were in the middle of the pack until we hit the lights and started shooting.

That being said, I wouldn't worry so much about camo'ing your face or rifle. Just move slowly and keep quiet like you would do with any other type of hunting. Hogs definitely don't spook anything like deer do.
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 8:04:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Hogs can be really funny. I've seen hogs spook seeing us from maybe 200 yards, and then Ive seen them not even pretend to notice me at around 30. I wouldnt worry too much about getting all cammoed up, but I guess it never hurts. Hogs will run at the sound of a gunshot, but wont even pause over the bodies of other hogs. If you shoot one, just wait and more will usually come out.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 5:00:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Yea, they are funny. I think like most animals they see movement really well, colors not at all, contrasts moderately well. With the wind in my favor I have walked 400 yards, upright, across a winter wheat field and right to within 30 yards of feeding hogs. At other times, as soon as they saw the dust from my pickup entering the field they hauled butt.....hard to say.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 5:43:39 AM EDT
[#5]
They see as well as deer but are smarter than deer. After you have shot a few out of a group the rest get very spooky. I have seen them hang up in a treeline 200 yards from a rifle stnd and stay in the brush and stare at the stand for several minutes trying to figure out if any one is in it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 8:38:10 AM EDT
[#6]
if ur night hunting.....don't bother with camo.

course, it sounds like ur day hunting.....their vision is not so good. but, jeez, their hearing and sense of smell is awesome.  move quietly  and slowly and you can get close enough for a good clean harvest.  

BUT ....once they get spooked and take off running, they run a long ways off.  so make the first shot count.  after that all you will see is heels n assholes.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 8:33:25 PM EDT
[#7]
When people talk about them not seeing good, I think they are comparing them to a whitetail.

Hogs see about as good as a human.

Yep they are funny. But a lot of that depends on how hard they have been hunted. If you are putting pressure on them, they are extremely wary and are as difficult to hunt as any animals alive.

I had had them run off from seeing my night vision light multiple times until I figured out it was glowing. I have also had them spook from my watch light.

One night I moved my hand up to scratch my face and had a pretty good size hog run off like he saw me, even though I could barely see my hand myself.

I've been hunting on an overcast night that was so dark,i could barely see my hand in front of my face. The hogs that came in were not running into trees on the way up to my feeder. I guess that means they can see alot better than me in low light.
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 4:52:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I will agree they are smarter than deer, it is why I enjoy hunting them so much more than deer!

I have one big boar that has ruined numerous hunts. He will circle my blind in the dark and try to wind me, he will "rush" the feeder but not commit-trying to get me to give it up....he has actually driven other hogs off when I am in my blind and he knows it. When I stretch his hide, and I will, it's going to be pretty sweet!
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 3:54:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Dang will.......sounds like you have an agenda...lol

HAPPY THANKSGIVING
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:24:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Will,
Sounds like you have this ol' boy's brother. We played games like that for 4 months until he got a little too confident.

He made delicious hams.

His head should be back from the taxidermist some time this month
http://imageshack.us/thumbnmail.png
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top