Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2007 5:13:32 PM EDT
Who all is planning to bear hunt this year? What weapon? Bait, Stand or Stalk? Guided or Self hunt?

I will be going the third week in October. staying fairly local about 2 hrs from me in the Mountain region of SC. Taking my Dad and son we'll be camping and hunting for 3-days taking advantage while Deer and Bear season overlap so we'll be able to take Hogs, Bucks or Bears. I am going to start my scouting mid-Sept. and will try to get us a good place to set-up camp and hunt the surrounding areas for all three species. I'll probably really be the only one hunting Blackies as my Dad and son will mainly stick to the Deer hunting knowing them. Probably be a good mix of ground Blind and Stalking known trails/feeding areas once I locate some. Weapon of choice is a Marlin 45-70 guide Gun with 1 Remington Express 300gr. SJHP backed up with Garrett 420gr Hammerheads. Remington should do the job unless I run into one of the freak #400+ monsters then the Hammerheads will surely anchor anything.
Link Posted: 8/23/2007 7:28:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm pulling my tag for Southern NY. I'll be hunting white-tail, but want to have the option of filling my tag if the opportunity presents itself. Depending on available time in the field and how quickly I tag some venison will determine how much effort I put toward dedicated bear hunting.

My 308 Savage is my weapon and I have loaded up some 180g Nosler Accu-Bonds for the occasion. I can't see lugging around my 300RUM for medium sized blackies. For a lure I figure a few Bacon Cheeseburgers scattered around. During Turkey season, I might start smearing some peanut butter around some choice areas to see if anything hits it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2007 7:07:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Doing the spot & stalk in the the canyons in the NW. Using a 7mm Rem. mag. handloads using 162gr. Hndy. SPBT interlock & R22. The berries are ripe & the time is rite for sausage making
Link Posted: 8/30/2007 6:36:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Just got back from Skead Ontario Bear Hunting.
I was there for 6 days.
Stayed at a lodge and hunted on their stands in the
one of the very large Canadian forests.
Great hunt!

I took a single shot .308 and used the Hornady light magnum
loads.  

I took a nice old fat sow (230 pds, avg weight for a sow is 200)
The shot went through both of her lungs and she dropped pretty quickly.
It was a 40 yrd shot and she dropped in about 25 yrds and was DONE!

I took her my 3rd night.

Friend was there with a bow and didn't have any luck, saw plenty of
bears but most were too small and the ones which were of size were too
far or did not offer him a good clear and clean shot.

Now how are you going to run two types of ammo?  This surely isn't going to
help you keep a good zero with your sights or scope????  Leave the Remington
Express at home and run with the Garrett.  You can never go wrong with
Garrett or Buffalo Bore ammo.
Link Posted: 8/30/2007 9:45:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Now how are you going to run two types of ammo?  This surely isn't going to
help you keep a good zero with your sights or scope????  Leave the Remington
Express at home and run with the Garrett.  You can never go wrong with
Garrett or Buffalo Bore ammo.

I shoot Irons only on that gun. The 300gr Remington and 420gr Garrett have nearly identical POI within 100 yards even at 150 there is only 2" of difference, I rarely take shots over 75 with the 45/70 if I am hunting somewhere that is a possibility I usually take the '06. Normally I wouldn't run two different kinds of ammo but there is a method to my madness. The Garrett is overkill for 90% of the Bears I will run into in SC and if I get a shot at a nice Buck or tusker the HP will be much better than the hardcast Garrett. The Remington will more than do the job on most but if I run into one of the 500lb monsters I like having the Garrett as a back up Anchor shot. Took me going through quite a few brands and weights to find what I was looking for. Thanks for looking out though.
Link Posted: 8/30/2007 10:41:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I will be hunting black bear in SW PA with my dad this November.  We usually stand in the morning and the drive all afternoon.  I usually take my marlin 336  in .35 Rem.
Link Posted: 9/6/2007 7:30:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Bait pile is being hit nightly in N Central Minnesota.  Probably use a rabbit sqealer to get him to wake up and come in before dusk.

Using a Magnum Research BFR 7.5" in 454 Casull with a Nikon 2x Titanium scope.

Sweet horse feed, gummy bears, jelly, honey burns, black liquorice, ground up fish parts, and liquid smoke for bait.
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 8:45:40 PM EDT
[#7]
might go for black or griz haven't decided yet and work is keeping me busy if I do go it will be spot and stalk with my .338
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 8:59:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll be after black bear, deer and elk in SE Washington with a Model 70 in 30.06 - pushing, spotting and stalking, and/or sitting really still, freezing my ass off, and making up excuses ahead of time for why I didn't get anything two years in a row
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 3:33:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I will be going up in Zone 1 in South Carolina. For probably the last 30 years or more we sponser a bear hunt at our cabin. We have about 30 people almost every year. Lots of fun with this group. Its been mostly the same people every year. I will be deer hunting and bear hunting from the beginning of Oct. to the end of Dec almost non stop. Can't wait till it starts.
Link Posted: 9/21/2007 12:10:13 PM EDT
[#10]

I took my first bear with my bow this year.  We go to the English River area in Ontario, Canada.
Link Posted: 6/14/2008 8:16:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Going in the spring to Kodiak.  I am getting to go as an observer and to film for my boss and try to get some really good pics.
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm going to POW Island,AK  this fall (sept 08') with my dad.

He is shooting a rem 700, in 300 RUM
I'm shooting a marlin 1895GS (45-70gov)

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 4:14:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I got one in Cordova a few weeks ago.  A 6' blackie with an 18" skull.

Just need to mail the hide out for a rug!

ETA: From 40 yards with a .338  after sitting on the edge of a field for 2 minutes on a DIY hunt.  He came out right next to us! My hunting partner shot one 15 minutes later when we were dragging mine to the boat!
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 9:28:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Just got back from Leaf Rapids Manitoba on a 6 day guided bear hunt. A 6 hunter camp with 2 bears taken that week. I was one of the lucky 2 and shoot mine with a Remington 700 30-06 using 180 grain Winchester power point.
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 9:54:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I went in Ontario last year and will be going to a different place in Ontario this year.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 5:23:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Will be try'n it on foot this year in the Nantahala National Forest here in North Carolina. Will be hicking up the MTN me and a buddy try'n are luck. This will be a first usley run dogs every year but try'n something different this go around. Jeffro
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 5:12:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I am headed to AK for the month of Aug as a guides assistant.  I wont get to shoot anything unless it is self defense but I should be in on a few kills!
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 1:39:07 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I am headed to AK for the month of Aug as a guides assistant.  I wont get to shoot anything unless it is self defense but I should be in on a few kills!

What part of AK ?

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:38:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Brooks Range 137 mi north of Fairbanks.
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 5:36:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Had to cancel a Sept. moose hunt in Canada because of a D.U.I. so i decided to go to Minnesota on a bear hunt instead. It's over bait, not sure if i'll use a .270 or a 300wsm it is in a non quota area that allows 2 bear w/ an over the counter license. Last year a hunter with this guide bagged a 500#+ w/ a 23" skull. Finally got my WI. kill tag last year (10 year wait ) and took a 240 sow with dogs. (the one i was baiting went nocturnal right before the season opened.
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 3:05:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Had to cancel a Sept. moose hunt in Canada because of a D.U.I. so i decided to go to Minnesota on a bear hunt instead. It's over bait, not sure if i'll use a .270 or a 300wsm it is in a non quota area that allows 2 bear w/ an over the counter license. Last year a hunter with this guide bagged a 500#+ w/ a 23" skull. Finally got my WI. kill tag last year (10 year wait ) and took a 240 sow with dogs. (the one i was baiting went nocturnal right before the season opened.

can I go? can I go?... oh, wait. I AM going    

btw are we looking for a bigger skull than this ?

personal note to peta members...fuck off... if this offends ya I'm glad.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 8:39:39 PM EDT
[#22]
All over Oregon, Spot and stalk with a Model 70 .300 Win Mag, hand loaded 180 GR. Barnes TSX
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top