Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2010 9:15:17 PM EDT
I attended a safari rifle shoot south of Houston this weekend. The folks from the Double Rifle Shooter's Society put on a BBQ / Fun Match twice a year. Big bore hunting rifles are also welcome at the shoot.

So standing around waiting for the first match to start, and this very nice lady starts chatting about her latest safari where she killed buffalo #49 with her late husband's safari rifle. She looks sort of familiar but I have never met her. Then I realize that I have seen photos of her in a safari book FINN AGARD'S AFRICA. Yup, it's his wido Beret, now married to Bill Pace, an avid safari hunter from Houston.

She shot the famous .375 H&H in both of the matches. Her shooting was very impressive.

Link Posted: 4/26/2010 4:02:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Finn was my favorite gunwriter ever. I'd love to meet Berit, she seems like a great lady from her writing.
Link Posted: 4/27/2010 8:50:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Too cool!  I loved reading Finn's articles growing up.  It's good to see the nice lady is still hunting.
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 8:33:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Headless_T_Gunner:
I attended a safari rifle shoot south of Houston this weekend. The folks from the Double Rifle Shooter's Society put on a BBQ / Fun Match twice a year. Big bore hunting rifles are also welcome at the shoot.

So standing around waiting for the first match to start, and this very nice lady starts chatting about her latest safari where she killed buffalo #49 with her late husband's safari rifle. She looks sort of familiar but I have never met her. Then I realize that I have seen photos of her in a safari book FINN AGARD'S AFRICA. Yup, it's his wido Beret, now married to Bill Pace, an avid safari hunter from Houston.

She shot the famous .375 H&H in both of the matches. Her shooting was very impressive.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q135/Mike70560/IMG_0074.jpg

Cool.  Is that photo reversed, or are safari hunters really all left handed?
Link Posted: 5/1/2010 1:04:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Pretty cool.

Just finished his book (autobiography) a few months ago.
Link Posted: 5/1/2010 5:04:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By MarineHawk:
Originally Posted By Headless_T_Gunner:

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q135/Mike70560/IMG_0074.jpg

Cool.  Is that photo reversed, or are safari hunters really all left handed?

There were three of us lefties there. What was very interesting was that when she shot the 375 she would keep it on her shoulder and while looking through the scope at the target she would reach over with her left hand and work the bolt. And she did it quickly.

I see a lot of right handed shooters lower a bolt rifle down to near their waist to cock the bolt which is a very slow way to do it. It takes a lot  of practice for a lefty shootng a right handed bolt rifle not to do that. Obviously she has had a lot of practice.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 11:44:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Have always enjoyed his articles. Often wonder why the NRA doesn't compile some of his best articles into a book
and publish it like Outdoor Life does.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:42:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Crowkiller] [#7]
Originally Posted By huggybro:
Have always enjoyed his articles. Often wonder why the NRA doesn't compile some of his best articles into a book

Wolfe Publishing did....
Link Posted: 12/18/2011 8:47:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Crowkiller:

Wolfe Publishing did....

I wish someone would do the same with Skeeter Skelton's writings......
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:20:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow... Makes me laugh very hard at a few co-workers of mine that won't even chamber a round in my larger rifles.
I certainly hope I can still handle a safari grade rifle when I get to her age.

And thanks for the Amazon link... Ordered up and should be here by Satudray.   I love amazon prime.
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 12:55:53 AM EDT
[#10]

I got this for Christmas.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top