Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2011 2:00:18 PM EDT
ok I bought a zink PC-1 today to start learing how to use a short reed goose call and this thing is hard. I feel like even on a basic honk its to high pitched and I dont get the almost humm or grunt at the begining of the call. Anybody got any tips or links to some videos online just wondering, as always thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 1:55:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Keep practicing.  Remember that how you hear it at 2 feet is not how it sounds at a distance.  I always thought my buddy sounded like shit with his and then I heard him from across a field.  HUGE difference.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 6:40:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Keep practicing.  Remember that how you hear it at 2 feet is not how it sounds at a distance.  I always thought my buddy sounded like shit with his and then I heard him from across a field.  HUGE difference.

This but also I have a PC and I also think it sounds a little high but not overly so and I dont think the birds care as long as its not WAY off.

Rusty
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 9:18:23 PM EDT
[#3]
With a short reed goose call you typically can't just blow into the call.  You'll have to use your diaphragm and "growl" into the call to get deeper notes.

Sean Mann calls can run without creating back pressure but most other SR calls need some.

Start by practicing "Tooo-it", once you get the 2 tone notes advance to "Grrr-it".  The correct back pressure will allow the call to get deeper.

After that you can get to the more advanced notes but you'll have to walk before you run.

Depending on where you bought the call someone could have "tuned" it in the store.  There are a bunch of directions online about tuning SR calls.  It all boils down to the longer the reed the deeper the note (and where the wedge is against the tone board).  I would suggest tuning the call as a last resort.

If you've been used to blowing a flute call you have to unlearn and start from scratch.  They are quite different!

Good luck.

ETA: noticed you are in NC.  If near the RDU area I can help you.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 4:17:35 AM EDT
[#4]
buy the DVD called Bad grammer it can be found at cabelas online or in some stores this is a great how to vidoe on goose calling also, i havent used that zink call but some short reed calls are made differently. Example i have a bunch of foiles duck and goose calls. I have on my goose lanyard a foiles strait meat honker and foiles high plains honker and a foiles showtime. Now the strait meat honker has a deep sound to it and my high plain honker has even a deeper sound to it (they way they were designed) now my showtime goose call is a compitition goose call and is very high pitched. For that reason i rely on a high pitch call when the geese are far away when iam flagging them and trying to get there attention and then when i do i will switch to my high plains honker and get "real" with them. and the important thing with calling is knowing when to call. A great rule of thumb is only call when you see tail feathers and wings because you dont want to be calling when they are coming right at you because they have very good hearing and eye sight and if your not and a greatly hidden layout blind of boat blind they might see you.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 4:32:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Ever been turkey hunting and heard the most clear, crisp, clean turkey call?  Yeah, that's how you know it's another hunter.
Real hens are all warbly and not nearly as consistent in their calls.
I've caught myself more than once thinking the crappy noises coming over the ridge were a hunter because they sounded so "off" and it ends up being a hen.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 4:39:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah i know what you mean but i also hear alot of guys out there that cant blow a duck or goose call to save there lives and it sounds horrible. To the OP one thing that is a must is practice, practice, practice and use that call as often as you can until your neighbors call the cops on you because what you want to do is get those guts on that call broken in, what that means is when your blowing the call the reed inside the call goes up and down and hits the guts of the call and after a long time blowing the call and i mean a very long time groves will start to wear into the guts and thats what you are looking for. It will help you get that raspy goose sound that you are looking for. Now if you dont like that call go to cabelas and try out the ones they have on display (but bring some cleaning wipes to use on the call before and after you try it out) and see if you like one of those more.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 4:45:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Practice a lot.  I'm not an expert, but a lot of back pressure and making a growling sort of sound helps a lot.  You have to blow into those calls like you mean it. Look on you tube for some how tos and go from there.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 6:31:33 PM EDT
[#8]
PC-1 is a passable call. Do you have the one with wood? Metal band in the middle? They are a little high but by moving your hands around you can change that along with the other tips that have been given. Practice. How bad do you want it? Carry it in your car, blow at stoplights, get chicks. Or at least weird looks from soccer moms. A true acrylic call makes the process a lot easier, but I learned the basics and called in and killed my first geese with a $12 K&H.

I just got my calls from the basement and gave one to the 2 year old hes a natural.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 10:50:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Buy a flute
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:53:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the SR-1, which I'm thinking is the acrylic version of your call.

Did yours come with a DVD? The DVD that came with mine was pretty helpful.

You'll get the buzz eventually. The reason they talk about getting the buzz is that once you get the buzz right, you have your air right.

Work on your air control, hand placement. For a deep goose, you should be calling into a cupped hand, with the fingers around the bell somewhat closed.

You should be blowing air like you would fog up a pair of glasses, then transfer over that breath into a slight cough.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top