Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2011 7:18:50 PM EDT
It is done.  I've been up and traveling for about 36 hours.  First thing my kid says when I hug him is "Dad you smell like urine."  Nice.  

The grand total was 7,305 dead birds and I skipped the last hunt.  I could have easily broke eight grand.  More later....I'm tired.
Things I will discuss -

GM expense reports

International travel with guns

Border Patrol tries to confiscate my shotguns

Gunfire and aircraft engine: why they hurt
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Update goes here:  Hola amigos.  I'm at the estancia and am smack dab in the middle  of my adventure.  The weather sucks...80 and sunny every day.  Rough stuff.  I have not taken a single picture and for that I apologize.  I am just having too much fun shooting and boozing it up.  
There are a group of teachers here from California and that has made for some rather interesting conversations.
We are shooting well.  Since Friday afternoon I have 5,743 confirmed kills.  My shot / hit percentage is 86.7%.  The total number of birds and my shooting have both improved since last season.  I may break 10,000 this trip.  The shell bill should be spectacular.  
Go now while you can my friends.  The doves may not be here forever and you most certainly will not be.  You can make more money; you can even borrow it...the same cannot be said of time.  
__________________________________________________________________________________________  
You might recall last year about this time I posted a thread about dove hunting in Argentina.  Well, I was not going to go this year...I'm a "new" Dad, just bought a house clear across the country, etc., etc. ad nauseum infinitum.  
But then in December I had to put my Mom in the ground.  A couple of weeks ago I had to bury my best dog.  So I said fuck it all...we're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time.  I'm going back while I can.  
I will be taking my Beretta 687 EL Gold Sporting II chambered in 28 gauge.  It has 30" inch pipes and wears Briley chokes.

Link Posted: 1/20/2011 8:18:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck and safe travels!!

I am so jealous words can not describe it...
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 12:36:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I hope it's everything it should be for ya.

You're our source of pix.

Link Posted: 1/21/2011 1:02:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Post a new thread about this trip, I enjoyed the last one.
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 5:44:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 7:39:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Better to do things now than when you're too old to and will only have regrets.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 4:03:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Please post some pictures when you return.  I have wanted to go there for years, to hunt ducks and dove.  Let us know what it is like and a round about cost if you dont mind.  I am really considering a trip there in a couple years when I retunr stateside for good.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 10:32:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Post a new thread about this trip, I enjoyed the last one.

Hell yeah!
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 11:13:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Please provide a field report!
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 1:06:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Please post some pictures when you return.  I have wanted to go there for years, to hunt ducks and dove.  Let us know what it is like and a round about cost if you dont mind.  I am really considering a trip there in a couple years when I retunr stateside for good.

Plane ticket - $1300

Cost of Lodge - $2100

Shells - $12 / bx (last year I shot 335 boxes @ $4020)

Gratuities & Misc - I took $1,000 cash but came back with most of it.  This included a couple of days in Buenos Aires.  I mostly used my credit card.

Spending a couple nights in Recoletta to decompress will run you about $400 / day per couple if you stay in a 4 star.  Highly recommended if traveling with a spouse.

Link Posted: 1/27/2011 2:07:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Holy hell! That is a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 2:49:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Holy hell! That is a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$

Nah...you know what's really expensive?  Elephant hunting.  Now that's fuckin' expensive.

Link Posted: 1/27/2011 5:38:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Your my hero!  Sorry to hear about Mom and the pooch.  

You got out of MI? Where'd you go.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:47:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Hell ya, a good double rifle is what, 10K? Plus another 10k for safari.....i need a career in YOUR field! lol
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 11:00:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

snip.....i need a career in YOUR field! lol

Sucking dick for ammo is no way to go through life.  Trust me.  

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:47:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So I said fuck it all...we're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time.  I'm going back while I can.  

You, sir, are a wise man.
Link Posted: 3/6/2011 2:32:13 PM EDT
[#16]
bump for wanton killing update
Link Posted: 3/6/2011 5:12:11 PM EDT
[#17]
MOOOOOOOOAR!!!!!!  
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 5:38:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Enough sleep.  Post pictures.
Link Posted: 3/29/2011 9:26:35 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Enough sleep.  Post pictures.

Would you believe that I didn't take a single picture this time?  I was either shooting or drinking.  Sometimes I did both at the same time.  My hands were busy the entire time.  Instead I am going to put the tally sheet and my shooting gloves into a shadow box for my son.  I literally wore the index finger off of a glove from pulling the trigger.

I was impressed with the performance of my guns.   When the guns get hot, only then is the engineering proven.  I did not have a single gun related stoppage during the entire trip.  We had a Perazzi go down on the first day (firing pin spring.)  The Kreighoffs had no problems.

One fellow in our group brought with him a Model 21 and a Purdey Best.  He graciously allowed me to shoot each of them.  Fucking sex.  Pure sex.  If I have one regret about pics it is not getting a picture of me shooting the Purdey.  

It'll be a few years before I go back again, I think.  There is something about doing the trip in consecutive years that seems to diminish it slightly.  Hold that thought....

Link Posted: 3/29/2011 10:06:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 3:45:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Just returned today from dove hunting in Argentina.  Awesome trip, hunted for three days, took around 2500 birds.
Could have shot a lot more, but that much shooting (3100+ rounds of 20 gauge) plus mounting the gun many more times than that takes a lot out of you.
Beautiful weather; went with 5 other guys.
Thanks to 7M3 for the general info on doves in Argentina (helped with my budgeting) and for sharing his wisdom about life being too short to miss opportunities to do something like this.
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 2:44:51 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Just returned today from dove hunting in Argentina.  Awesome trip, hunted for three days, took around 2500 birds.

Could have shot a lot more, but that much shooting (3100+ rounds of 20 gauge) plus mounting the gun many more times than that takes a lot out of you.

Beautiful weather; went with 5 other guys.

Thanks to 7M3 for the general info on doves in Argentina (helped with my budgeting) and for sharing his wisdom about life being too short to miss opportunities to do something like this.

Where did you go?

Link Posted: 4/14/2011 5:28:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Went to Totoral, about an hour north of Cordoba.  Stayed at the La Loma estancia (ranch) run by H & H Outfitters (http://www.handhoutfitters.com/).
Set up the trip through Trek Safaris (http://www.treksafaris.com/).  One of the guys I went with has used Trek for 20+ years, and has done this trip 3 times.
No problems with Trek or H&H.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 11:18:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Things I will discuss -

GM expense reports

Ok
I'm waiting.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:01:06 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Things I will discuss -

GM expense reports

Ok

I'm waiting.  

Sorry...I got busy and then into other things.  

Long story short, due to a lazy assed CBP agent in DTW, I damn near had my guns confiscated upon re-entry because of a clerical error.  I had the foresight to have 'over-documented' my ownership of the guns prior to leaving and that is what saved me.  

CBP is in cahoots with the ATF to confiscate as many guns as they can upon re-entry due to these types of paperwork 'accidents.'  One of the CBP agents basically came right out and told me "this is what they want us to do."  Mother fuckers.  I won't take my own guns back.  I'll rent.  

I wore ear protection the whole time I shot, but had terrible tinnitus upon my return.  Sitting on the wing of a 767 for 11 hours doesn't help, I'm sure.  I thought I was fucked.  Tinnitus is forever.  I was really disappointed that I had injured permanently myself.  Then about two weeks later it just stopped.  I really feel like I dodged a bullet on that one.

I started a thread in GD about the GM expense reports.  Basically I got to witness some first hand stupidity which affirms that the new Government Motors is still just as broken as before the bailout and they deserve to go belly up and be sold off in chunks.  

Underwhelming...I know.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top