Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2008 3:44:56 AM EDT
It occurred to me while responding to another post that handling wild turkey meat requires some knowledge if you want to end up with a truly palatable meal.  Add your tips, tricks, and recipes.  

Here are mine.

Properly handled and prepared, I cannot tell the difference between a 2 year old bird and a 3 year old bird on the table.

That's the difference between a jake and a tom. It's not like growing deer where you have to leave them alone for 5 years.

Likewise, I've eaten some 1 year olds that tasted like rubber bands.

If you are not using brine on all of your birds, you should. Big difference. Google a recipe.

Use injectors. Leave the skin on for cooking, put butter or margarine pats under the skin. Don't eat the skin.

Even if you smoke them, use the brine and add thick cut butcher's bacon. Smoke wrapped and unwrap to finish.

If you bake, use a baking bag. Frying tastes better. I personally like 'nuggets' the best.

I'm looking forward to your dinner pic!!

Link Posted: 4/18/2008 8:18:15 PM EDT
[#1]
My favorite is turkey-ala-king.

I always skin them.  When baking we wrap it in foil to keep the moisture in so it isn't dry.  Probably a sorry excuse for cooking but they are tasty.

I haven't tried frying but that sounds like a good way.

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:50:31 AM EDT
[#2]
i just breast them and chicken fry the strips.  only way i can eat the stringy things.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 11:32:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I cook all the time while I'm drinking Wild Turkey...

Oh wait.....

Nevermind
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:13:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends, last fall we skinned all our birds so we filletd the breast meat off and then I crockpoted the remaing meat off the bones.  The breasts got grilled with nothing more than soy sauce and lemon pepper.  The other meat got put in Turkey Noodle soup and pot pie.

This spring we had someone clean the birds so they were not skinned.  Those went to the local grocery store to be smoked, we have not gotten them back but I am told the guy there does a good job and you get a good tasting bird.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top