Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2007 3:18:54 PM EDT
What cheap Walmart shotshells do you prefer, Federal or winchester?  

71/2 or #8shot

I can't decide.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 10:10:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Hmmmm.

Not much action in here.

If I posted in GD there would be 100 people telling me shotguns are bad for HD without realising you can shoot birds with them as well.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 10:16:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I like the Federals for my fun stuff.

Because I do not get to bird hunt that much - I spring for the Winchester AA Super Trap Handicap for doves - it realy reaches out there and taps them!

This my 2cents - of course - YMMV

Later,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 10:20:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I usually just buy the cheapest stuff that I can find at China Mart.

Link Posted: 11/19/2007 4:41:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Ammo is usually the cheapest part of the hunting trip. My 16 gauge is usually loaded with Fioochi Golden Pheasant loads, the same thing with the 20ga.  Don't find them at WalMart, get them online and have them delivered to my door.    

Link Posted: 11/20/2007 3:13:45 AM EDT
[#5]
When you're buying "promotional loads", it pretty much doesn't matter unless you notice your gun / choke combination has a distinct preference for one over the other.

Same can be said for the difference between 7 1/2 and 8s for either targets or small birds.  A miss will still be a miss.

You will notice the difference from the $3.49 shells if you switch to a Remington Premier or Winchester AA ($5.49) load.  These pellets contain more antimony in the alloy, making them harder.  They deform less and fly truer giver better patterns.

Link Posted: 11/28/2007 4:48:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I prefer the Federals. Only because my Rem 870 will stick the winchesters every once in a while. I use them for crow hunting loads so they usually stick when I have birds in range. I had a buddy that told me his 870 would only cycle Remington loads. I thought he was full of it, until it happened to me.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 10:41:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I prefer the Federals. Only because my Rem 870 will stick the winchesters every once in a while. I use them for crow hunting loads so they usually stick when I have birds in range. I had a buddy that told me his 870 would only cycle Remington loads. I thought he was full of it, until it happened to me.

+1

Sometimes the winchesters won't cycle in my benelli.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 10:30:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

+1

Sometimes the winchesters won't cycle in my benelli.

Interesting, I won't be buying them anymore. I should mention that the winny's function fine in my mossberg.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top