Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2007 12:43:35 PM EDT
Do you support stocking pheasants for hunting?
Link Posted: 8/31/2007 4:51:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you support fish stocking for fishing?

Link Posted: 9/1/2007 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#2]
In certain situations yes.

Like to maintain musky populations
Link Posted: 9/2/2007 10:22:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes.
Link Posted: 9/5/2007 9:03:45 PM EDT
[#4]
yep, I hunted a stocked pheasant farm this past weekend in upper MI.
Link Posted: 9/6/2007 7:05:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes.  I have hunted on preserves before, and I know of one place back home that the pheasants have more or less turned wild.
Link Posted: 9/6/2007 7:17:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Definitely...
Link Posted: 9/17/2007 7:51:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Definitely...

+100

Link Posted: 9/28/2007 6:24:29 PM EDT
[#8]
The DNR in Nebraska stated that stocked birds had like a 90% mortality rate in 18 months, therefore it is a bad idea.  

My thought was 10% of them still alive in a year and a half.  That's great! I'll bet that darn close to the regular wild bird stats.  s

I virtually never get a rooster that I think is more then a year old.
Link Posted: 9/29/2007 1:10:23 AM EDT
[#9]
They opened a place they stock with pheasants about a mile from me. If a few a year survive, then we should see an increase around here. thats all good for me.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:29:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Them stocked birds are the only kind we get here in NH.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:36:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Them stocked birds are the only kind we get here in NH.

Too bad it wasn't more than 13,500.  They get shot up too quickly!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:59:01 AM EDT
[#12]
you are SO right. EVERY time I pass a stock point there are at least of 3 trucks parked. Sunday I counted 8 trucks hunting a 100 acre piece. WTF???  I don't purchase a Pheas. stamp cuz I figure I pay enough to hunt ducks and geese and after opening day I got the marsh/river to myself.
edit- if they wanted them to survive they would release some birds in spots that hunters don't have easy access to. I don't know what the mentality of F&G is. I would think they would want them to become self-sustaining...
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:35:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Pheasants are a weird bird. I know Missouri and Kansas tried stocking the state in different areas and they just cannot survive. In Missouri they seem to survive and thrive a little north of 36 highway but can't seem to catch on south of the highway. In Kansas, north and west pheasant's do pretty well. South and east they just can't seem to survive. All in all I prefer to go to South Dakota as they are plentiful there....
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:10:37 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Pheasants are a weird bird. I know Missouri and Kansas tried stocking the state in different areas and they just cannot survive. In Missouri they seem to survive and thrive a little north of 36 highway but can't seem to catch on south of the highway. In Kansas, north and west pheasant's do pretty well. South and east they just can't seem to survive. All in all I prefer to go to South Dakota as they are plentiful there....

I can't figure that out and wanted to ask NH Fish and Game why they can't.  I grew up in Minnesota and they do very well there on their own.  I live in NH now and the winters here are nothing compared to MN but the summers and vegitation are much the same.  I can't figure out why pheasants can't make it on their own here.  I just wish I knew what the factor was that was preventing them.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:11:28 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
you are SO right. EVERY time I pass a stock point there are at least of 3 trucks parked. Sunday I counted 8 trucks hunting a 100 acre piece. WTF???  I don't purchase a Pheas. stamp cuz I figure I pay enough to hunt ducks and geese and after opening day I got the marsh/river to myself.
edit- if they wanted them to survive they would release some birds in spots that hunters don't have easy access to. I don't know what the mentality of F&G is. I would think they would want them to become self-sustaining...

If you want a duck partner on the weekend let me know.  I have no friends in the area who hunt, they just like to shoot guns.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:41:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I usually don't have a problem getting someone to hunt with, but you are more than welcome to join us. Especially if you got a dog LOL.
Sarg- send me a PM and we'll try and get together.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:56:14 PM EDT
[#17]
A lot of hunting is simply put shoot and take.

It's not meant to establish populations.

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:46:22 PM EDT
[#18]
put and take still doesn't make sense to me. it's a lot of work for little return. if you established a population then as state F&G you still get to charge hunters the same fees yet you don't have to buy birds every year.  I don't think NH will support Pheasant though. So none of makes sense here but I do support the stocking of them in places where they will start to reproduce.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:24:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I support put and take pheasant hunting mainly because pheasant tastes good and stocking puts lots of bird out there.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top