Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2015 8:49:31 PM EDT
My son will be 7 soon and we've been doing some small leathercraft projects. I'd like to find some tanned skins of coyote, raccoon, fox, or other similar critters for a few projects for him.

Where does one acquire stuff like this individually without being bent over a barrel?
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 8:51:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Tandy Leather sells skins but I don't know about prices.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 8:52:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tandy Leather sells skins but I don't know about prices.
View Quote

If its anything like I'm used to it will be over priced and of poor quality.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 9:28:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Talk to a large local taxidermist
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:46:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Talk to a large local taxidermist
View Quote

hah!  the guy wants more than Tandy!
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 8:32:54 AM EDT
[#5]
eBay has them.

Also F&T trapper supply.

I'm looking at their catalog now and it shows everything from Ermine to fox. Coyote beaver skunk etc.

Mid sized animal like fox $50-70. These are fully tanned with face and tail included. Beaver is only $45 -80 depending on size.

Skunk is only $20.

I order a lot of my trapping supplies through them so they are GTG for reliability and quality.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 5:46:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
eBay has them.

Also F&T trapper supply.

I'm looking at their catalog now and it shows everything from Ermine to fox. Coyote beaver skunk etc.

Mid sized animal like fox $50-70. These are fully tanned with face and tail included. Beaver is only $45 -80 depending on size.

Skunk is only $20.

I order a lot of my trapping supplies through them so they are GTG for reliability and quality.

View Quote

excellent. thanks!
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 8:29:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

excellent. thanks!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
eBay has them.

Also F&T trapper supply.

Skunk is only $20.

excellent. thanks!

No problem. Sorry forgot to add a link.

http://www.fntpost.com/Categories/Fur+Home+D+cor/Fur+Products/Tanned+Wild+Fur/

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 9:40:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Also F&T trapper supply.

View Quote

I agree, I've been ordering from them for years.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 1:57:59 AM EDT
[#9]
When I dropped off my put-up coon pelts at the NAFA depot right before the last receiving date for the auction the place was empty. Apparently, the Russian economy is taking the fun out of fur for a lot of folks.

What I am saying is that if you are able to find a local trapper who puts up his/her own fur you might do well to just buy from them directly and ship the furs to Moyleson your own. Your local pick up location may be able to point you in the direction of said trapper.  I see you are in GA, so you may want to start with this gentleman.

It is more legwork, and if the folks in GA aren't as helpful as the ones in IA you may find a dead end.  However, you probably won't get bent over a barrel.

ETA: Here are the prices to have a pelt tanned at Moyles. Choose "dressing".  The Bobby Gentry fellow may be able to help you figure out how much a trapper dried pelt for a specific species and grade will go for at auction.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 2:09:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Otherwise, I've had good, fair dealings with F&T as well.  They are definitely simpler than all the junk I outlined in my above post. Convenience is worth quite a bit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top