Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2011 9:59:21 AM EDT
After seeing another thread in here about 'poor' results with Coyote hunting and my own trouble hunting that damned elusive dog I figured I'd ask what your'alls ratio is for downing yotes?

I am rolling zeros out of 3 hunts

So what's that 3:0 for 3 times out and 0 kills

I know we are not all Rizzo

So what do you got?

And what kind of "Calls" are you using?

I got a Primos 'Still Jack Rabbit' and I can't tell you if it's any good lol...
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 12:19:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you talking about times you go out hunting or per stand? We might make 5 stands on one trip out but I don't consider that 5 hunts.

I'm not an expert predator hunter by any means but I have some friends that are and I usually go out with them. Out of probably 10 times we've gone out in the last year or so I think we've only been skunked once and other times we've either called in coyote(s), bobcat(s) or both.
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 12:39:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Are you talking about times you go out hunting or per stand? We might make 5 stands on one trip out but I don't consider that 5 hunts.

I'm not an expert predator hunter by any means but I have some friends that are and I usually go out with them. Out of probably 10 times we've gone out in the last year or so I think we've only been skunked once and other times we've either called in coyote(s), bobcat(s) or both.

Times out hunting, not stands.
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 12:47:19 PM EDT
[#3]
some ( people )  and i'm not real sure ,state by state thing....
bate, well not really, they set up  ( kriter cams ) and

soft dirt to see if any  walk around.  the bate thing might not be liked by  some / most
it you set out  a found dead bird and see it it gets drug off and check the foot prints
 ya get where this is going...?
kinda like fishing are the fish really in there er not...LOL
so heres a list
cam
bate
foot prints
if you see there there then there there shoot em
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 12:47:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm probably about 90% then but we don't hunt the same places over and over. It's easy to call a spot out pretty quick. Some of Chris's (my buddy) good spots he might only go out to 3 or 4 times a year to call, that's part of the reason why he's so successful, he doesn't over hunt spots.

ETA: The calls he uses is a Burnham Brothers digital. We've got a Primos and some other digital but like I said, I'm not an expert and we only use them occasionally when we're bored with some success.

Link Posted: 9/22/2011 12:51:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Got 7 last year.  Probably went out 10 times.  Several times I got nothing.  A couple times I got multiples. As a group we took about 36 from Dec-Feb.
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 3:17:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Some days I may have time for 1 stand, and sometimes I can hunt all day.
I have to lay it out in terms of stands to coyote ratio.

The last three years I've been getting a dead coyote every 6-8 stands.
This includes doubles and does not include misses or stands where I'm busted.

My longest dry spell was 19 stands.

My stands involve calling 12-25 minutes generally, with hand calls and/or my Foxpro.

I'll hit the same spot at the most, every couple of weeks unless I've been busted or had a miss.
In that case I may rest the spot for a month or two.

I'll alternate calls on the Foxpro, so I don't use the same sound in the same place every time.
I'll do only woodpecker/birds one week.  The next week only rabbit calls, the next week only fawn bleats and rodents... etc.
In the spring, I'll switch predominately to howls, pups, and canine calls.
I believe it's to your advantage to use a wide selection of sounds over the course of the season.
You may call in the same yote that busted you with the same sound, but IMO you have a better chance with a different sound.

I will not hit a stand unless the wind is right, to minimize getting busted.
There's spots that I have that are no good in a N,S,E, or W wind.
The first thing I look at when I decide to go is wind direction, and I decide where to go from there.

You have to remember that just because you didn't see the yote, it doesn't mean you weren't busted yourself.
They have ways to get your scent or see you, without showing themselves.

Another edit:

I hunt land that ranges from High coyote density/ High pressure to Low density/Low pressure.
Your ratio will be best in High density/Low pressure  and worst in Low density/High pressure.
The pressure doesn't have to be from coyote hunters.  Anywhere that they feel threatened by anything (hunters, shooters, farmers, dogs etc.) contributes to pressure and makes them more wary.
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 3:34:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I haven't gone varmint hunting in over a year so the coyotes are officially kicking my ass.
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 3:42:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I haven't gone varmint hunting in over a year so the coyotes are officially kicking my ass.

Charlie didn't get much USO. He was dug in too deep, or movin' too fast. His idea of a great R&R was cold rice and a little rat meat. He had only two ways home: death or victory.

Link Posted: 9/22/2011 8:19:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Most coyote hunters measure by stands not days. My ratio is 1 coyote for every 4 stands.

Those stinky, spray painted camo hunting clothes you wear probably aren't helping......

here, let me help....KINGS

Link Posted: 9/22/2011 8:59:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Most coyote hunters measure by stands not days. My ratio is 1 coyote for every 4 stands.

Those stinky, spray painted camo hunting clothes you wear probably aren't helping......

here, let me help....KINGS

lol, well today was the 1st time I used them

I think I am just picking poor places to hunt.  People shoot near all the places I've gone even if it is in the middle of the desert...

Need to find a place that does not have as much traffic...
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 5:43:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Charlie didn't get much USO. He was dug in too deep, or movin' too fast. His idea of a great R&R was cold rice and a little rat meat. He had only two ways home: death or victory.

It won't be today, it won't be tomorrow, but at some point in the not-too-distant future, the varmints are in for it.  I will make them pay.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 7:02:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It won't be today, it won't be tomorrow, but at some point in the not-too-distant future, the varmints are in for it.  I will make them pay.

Never get out of the fucking boat man!!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 7:15:38 AM EDT
[#13]
right now there's one out there in the weeds, giving me the paw
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 9:08:26 AM EDT
[#14]
I hunt in rural Colorado where coyote hunting isn't very popular, we hunt public land and go out 8 - 10 times a year minimum. I use a Johnny Stewart call, the one we have the most luck with is the pup call. Each time we go out we avearge three set ups, that is three different areas we set up and call. We average 1 coyote for every three set ups, we also have bobcats, fox and a bear come to our calls. We call for about 25-35 minutes and then change areas, it helps that we have a lot of public land to hunt and that no one hunts coyotes here. I hope this helps answer your questions oh, I have taken 2 coyotes in my drive way this year.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 9:29:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I guess if we go by stands then I am more 6:0

I really think I have just been going to places that are closer and are too heavily trafficked. I'd probably have a better chance running into human coyotes down here...
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 1:01:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I guess if we go by stands then I am more 6:0

I really think I have just been going to places that are closer and are too heavily trafficked. I'd probably have a better chance running into human coyotes down here...

Call where you can, when you can.
My ratio could be better if I cherry picked my best spots and gave them plenty of rest between trips.

I carry a call in the truck all the times and use it often.
Hell, the other day I showed up at my club's rifle range at sunup and did a little sequence before shooting.
Nothing showed up but I gave it a try.  

You never know what will come in and where.

PS I was sitting in my car  waiting for my SO to get off of work to give her a ride home a couple of months ago.
I was using a squeaker, trying to get feral cats to cross the street as the lights changed.  I'm a bastard like that.....

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Make that 8:0... dammit lol

I went out to Redington Pass down here.  Had no idea how many people go out there... lots of people shooting.  Went back in about 5 miles but you could still hear the guns in the distance. I set up on a nice hill in some rock over looking a nice valley with a wash and good patches of tree line.  Wind was coming from the NNE and I was eyeballing the east into the valley so no scent issues their (at least I think so) look really nice.  Saw lots of Javelina/deer and what looked like coyote tracks.  Saw some coyote scat so....

NOTHING that what lol

Did get within 50 yards of a white tail doe though.  Had a nice spine/neck/head shot in it as it trotted away... why could I not be deer hunting...

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 10:48:29 PM EDT
[#18]
about 1/25
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 3:48:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
about 1/25

That's not horrible for hunting Eastern coyotes. Not great, but not too horrible either. We have better population densities out west, so we have a bit of an advantage....
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 7:34:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Well my son, friend and myself are def noobs when it comes to hunting coyotes.  We are learning and getting better changing gear and how we set up.  Biggest mistake was not having a shotgun.

Hunting eastern Tn coyotes I have called in probally 5 that should/could have been killed but by the time we seen them they where in a full run through weeds or the woods.  Making our long range

20" scoped rifles less then ideal.  Right now stand wise we probally at 0/25 over the summer.  with about 4 different farms to hunt.   We probally seen coyotes 5 times taking a running shot 4 times.

I have yet to see a yote in the distance just walking around or standing there.

If I was a poacher could have killed 4 deer so far they just seem to stand there looking at the decoy.  We have managed to get our self hundreds of chiggers and 1 bad case of poison ivy.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 11:37:42 AM EDT
[#21]
When I was a kid I tried like hell to call coyotes in, all I ever got to come were crows and farm dogs.  I did trap a few though.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 12:46:41 PM EDT
[#22]
My ratio varies, based on time of year, how many stands I do during a hunt, where I hunt, and if we're counting all predators (foxes, bobcats, badgers, etc).

When I first got started in predator hunting I could've given you an exact figure because I kept a little black book of predator hunting with meticulous notes. Now I'm a little more loose with my record keeping, so I'll have to guess. Roll it all into an average, and I'd say about 1:5 stands I see a predator. Some days I call an animal every other (or damn near every) stand, and some days I go all day without seeing anything after 12 or so stands - hence the average. I don't hit stands where the wind is wrong, the setup is bad, or where it just doesn't 'feel' right. And like ch1966, I've been in slumps before - longest one was probably about 15 stands and zero animals seen.

Which is where I feel a need to make a point - just because you aren't seeing them, doesn't mean you aren't calling them in. Make sure that your setup allows you maximum vantage of your area, whether that's several hundred yards or just several yards. Make sure you can see as much of your downwind as possible and that you have provided security routes for predators to approach from. Get into position as quietly as possible and leave as quietly as possible. Use every terrain feature you can to your benefit, and don't forget to use decoys where they can be seen.

And sometimes, you just can't win. A coyote will bust you, a bobcat will see you, or that fox just won't come within shotgun range. You are hunting predators, and the challenge is what makes it fun and exciting.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 1:24:47 PM EDT
[#23]
my opinions (worth what you paid for 'em) on coyote hunting:

0.  location: if you're not where the coyotes are, it doesn't matter how bad ass you are at calling them up
1.  wind... know where it's blowing.  Coyotes are usually pretty wily and won't come in if they catch wind of you
2.  be still: if you can't sit still and be quiet you're sunk
3.  good electronic calls are FTW.  I remember getting great results with (can't remember the guy's name but it's a respected guy among the varmint hunting set) jackrabbit-in-distress (sounds like someone's cornholing a rabbit with a baseball bat), some kind of baby goat (the ranch where I used to hunt a lot of varmints had lots of goats),  (fuck, there was another one, but I can't remember... I might have to dig that stuff out of the garage).
4.  if you have an elevated position and the wind in your favor, I really prefer night hunts with an amber or red spotlight to day hunts.

If all else fails, shoot grey foxes instead, those suckers are dumb as dirt and will come to damned near any call.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:33:03 PM EDT
[#24]
been out 5 times and havent seen anything except squirrels and birds
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:37:09 AM EDT
[#25]
For this season (since August anyway), I would have to say that I am 4:0...but have to admit it should have been 4:2.  I bought a FoxPro earlier this summer and the first time out I had a pair coming in from my 6.  They were about 100 yards away when I decide to bail on the stand, as I was retrieving my call and decoy I saw them hauling ass.  The last time out I was using a new kettle creek diaphragm call. After playing with it for 15 minutes or so I decided to bail, so after picking up my decoy I jumped back into the ditch to head back to the jeep.  I saw in the sand, fresh "yote" tracks crossing over my foot prints, it saw me and headed back out the way it came in.  I looked up and saw that my choice of stand was completely out of view being on the high ground.  If I would have picked a stand on the opposite side of the draw (although I didn't have the shade or wind) I could have had good view of the low drainage and slope I was trying to hunt.  

Now that it's finally starting to cool down here in AZ, I may start going out for longer hunts.  Up to this point, I've just been going out for a couple of hours.  Sucks having to drive 30 miles North just to get away from all the recreational types out meandering in the desert...
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:58:47 AM EDT
[#26]
This weekend:
9 stands
called 5
killed 2
hit  1 and lost em in the Johnson grass
missed 1

I am pretty disappointed with the loss and the miss.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top