Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2011 2:13:55 PM EDT
I'm interested in trying trapping with snares. Can anyone give a brief break down? I've found a little info online, but I still feel like I don't know what's needed and where to get it. I looked at Cabelas and didn't find anything.

EDIT: I should clarify. I'm talking about wire snares, on trails. Not tree snares or anything else like that.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 3:46:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Just make sure it is legal where you live.  Stranded wire like used for haning pictures works best for small game.  I have never snared anything bigger then a groundhog.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 7:51:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Snares are pretty simply to construct.  I used aircraft grade cable and bent washers.  I salvaged the cable from a theater that was getting torn down and washers are cheap.  Look on the internet for snare plans that use bent washers for locking devices.  

Make sure they are legal where you trap.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:24:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Go to Trapperman.com.  It's the best trapping/snaring forum on the net.  Lots of experience there and people are willing to share.  You can also get books/videos on snaring from many trapping supply houses like Minnesota Trapline.  Make sure it's legal first.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 2:29:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I'm interested in trying trapping with snares. Can anyone give a brief break down? I've found a little info online, but I still feel like I don't know what's needed and where to get it. I looked at Cabelas and didn't find anything.

EDIT: I should clarify. I'm talking about wire snares, on trails. Not tree snares or anything else like that.

Utah has an online course for the furharvester certificate needed for their trapping license:

http://wildlife.utah.gov/dwr/huntereducation/487-hunter-education-furharvester-course-online.html

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:51:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Good info! that should get me started.

I don't think you need that class to get your fur-bearers permit in Utah. Only a hunter safety card.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:13:40 PM EDT
[#6]
If you want to buy your first snare...  ebay sells them.  

I will buy my first snare for hogs tonite on ebay.  

http://desc.shop.ebay.com/Hunting-/7301/i.html?LH_TitleDesc=1&_nkw=snares&_catref=1&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

what are you trying to snare?    that will determine what you can do and as everyone has said...  make sure legal in utah.    

I learned a few things from this...  i have never snared before:
iles.dnr.state.mn.us/recreation/hunting/trapping/modern_snares.pdf
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 4:06:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you want to buy your first snare...  ebay sells them.  

I will buy my first snare for hogs tonite on ebay.  

http://desc.shop.ebay.com/Hunting-/7301/i.html?LH_TitleDesc=1&_nkw=snares&_catref=1&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

You're kidding right??  You're buying USED snares??  For a couple bucks more, maybe, you can buy new ones with known specs to suit your purpose.  Go to The Snare Shop and get exactly what you want.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 4:13:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Buying used snares is like buying used underware.

Snares are inexpensive enough new from quite few reputable sources why risk buying someones junk.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 2:52:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Good info! that should get me started.

I don't think you need that class to get your fur-bearers permit in Utah. Only a hunter safety card.

http://wildlife.utah.gov/dwr/huntereducation.html

"The furharvester education course provides instruction in safe and
responsible trapping. Course teaches proper trapping technique and
device usage. You must complete this course if you were born after
December 31, 1984."

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top