Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2010 4:54:17 PM EDT
Well, I have been getting the Coyote itch and figured that this past Sunday was a good day to go out and scratch that itch!  The weather was cool, 55 deg and the highs were forecasted to be around the low 80 deg mark.

So, I'm cruising down the road to my lucky spot, it's right at 5:00AM dark.  I see lots of Jack Rabbits, Kangaroo Rats, and a few Owls darting in front of my head lights, that's when I see this snake out in front of me.  I'm thinking no big deal, it's probably just a bull snake, well this little bastard took a lunge at the truck.  Well, I know what that means - Rattler!

I put the head lights on him to do the obligatory " check him out thingy " and decided that this one would be a keeper.  I took out my shooting sticks and whacked him on the head and he went down, I'm thinking - Wow that was easy!  :lol:

Well the little shit head was playing possum, he burred his head under his body for protection and just stayed there until my back-up arrived.  My buddy shows up and asked me if the snake was dead?  I tell him " well, I think the snake is kinda  dead. "  All it took was a poke from my shooting sticks and this sucker rears up in full strike mode with rattles just ablazing - we were both like, shit now what? :shock:

So, I whack him again and that seem to calm him down.  I asked my buddy if he brought a plastic bag to put the snake in and he's like yep, I got you covered, and hands me this all torn-up piece of craptastic bag - dip shit.  What the heck am I going to do with this?

I ended up putting the snake in a large plastic gear container with a locking lid, for the ride home.

I'm sure my buddy and I looked like my 6 year old daughter jumping around the garage chasing around some darn spider, just a hootin' and hollerin'!  Get him, get him, no you get him  :lol:

After the whack to the head.

The rattels were just a buzzen

Size comparison

Shit head is still alive

Now this little bugger is in the deep freezer -I'll wait about a week or two and pull him out.  I'm going to try and tan the hide and grill the rest!
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 5:43:58 PM EDT
[#1]
OH LAWDY JEEBUS!!! You are a brave man for putting the binoculars next to the evil possum-snake. I wouldn't get that close unless the snake had already taken a round.
Post pics of dinner and cool ass belt.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 7:38:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice! That's a good sized rattler.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 8:20:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Tastes like chicken....

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 8:41:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey send me the skull if you get the chance - I'd love to try and clean up a rattler skull. Haven't tried one yet.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 2:24:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies!

In the past I have seen some hogs of Rattlers while out and about, last year I came across one that was at least 3" in diameter and had a head like a hockey puck!  I have a very healthy respect for these " Buzz Worms " and really don't like to mess with them.

Rizzo, let me make sure this one is good and dead and then I'll send if off to you.  PM some basic instruction and a address.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:23:36 AM EDT
[#6]
It wish I could be that tolerant of vipers,and snakes in general. it would make hunting much more enjoyable.

We have a few vipers scattered  around central IL, and my deathly fear of them dictates my hunting season start for the most part.

I'd love to hunt out west, but I'd have to wait for cold weather.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:24:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Well looks like I'll still need that snake skull from you - my friend and I killed these this week, but they each took a 9mm to the head. Crazy thing is how much they move afterwards. I have some awesome video of my buddy skinning his about an hour after it was beheaded and the thing is still trying to strike and it's coiling and all kinds of weird stuff. Mine moved for more than 5 hours after it was beheaded. Devil spawn!

I think they are Mojaves.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top