Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2009 7:44:56 PM EDT

I'm after this guy, looks like a basketball with fur on it, huge.

But there's plenty others in the area as well.

I got the plans from here:
build a live trap

The trigger is nice and sensitive and the door is solid when bumped, it works really well, I'm optimistic.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 7:47:50 PM EDT
[#1]
OST
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 9:09:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Good luck, what was you're total cost on that? $8-12?( if you don't mind).  Are you going to make a furry basketball skin hat?
Link Posted: 11/20/2009 5:10:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Good luck, what was you're total cost on that? $8-12?( if you don't mind).  Are you going to make a furry basketball skin hat?

My total cost was $40.00, but it could be made cheaper.  I didn't have any screws worth a damn and that was $10.00 of it right there.  The Hardware cloth was $10.00 as well.  So if you had some boards and screws laying around you wouldn't have to spend much to make it at all.  I want to get the raccoon stuffed and have him in that laying on a limb relaxing pose.     When all is said and done, I could have bought a premade live trap for the same price, but where is the fun in that.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2009 7:27:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Good luck
Link Posted: 11/20/2009 11:05:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Dude, I love it! The DIY aspect makes it so awesome! I really hope you catch that coon and you have to keep us posted on what happens.
Link Posted: 11/20/2009 1:40:43 PM EDT
[#6]
He'll be back OUT within 30 seconds.
Link Posted: 11/20/2009 2:07:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Do you wanna put your money where your mouth is, or was this just a drive by rude post?  The trap is built stoutly, and the trap, and it's mechanisms are an age old proven design.
Link Posted: 11/20/2009 5:43:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Do you wanna put your money where your mouth is, or was this just a drive by rude post?  The trap is built stoutly, and the trap, and it's mechanisms are an age old proven design.

I apologize if you took my comments as smartassed, rude, or insulting, as I did not intend them that way.
BUT, a large boar coon can destroy heavier box traps than that.

I've had them chew wooden traps to pieces, and bust up heavier gauge wire ones pretty badly.
Having the wire on the outside of the structure will enable them to pop it off the frame.
Continuous,single piece of wire (one seam) on the inside of the frame would be much stronger, preferably 1"X1" or 1"X2" heavy gauge/welded wire, and better protect the wooden frame.

A lot depends on the specific critter.
Some will just sit there, and others will dismantle the trap, then want a piece of you.  

Also, stake the trap down, or otehrwise brace it, or they can roll it,and escape easier.

Again,sorry if I came across wrong.
Good luck, and I hope you catch him!
Dave
Link Posted: 11/20/2009 5:48:44 PM EDT
[#9]
You know, now that Dave mentions it, I did think when I first saw it that the wire being on the outside would be a weak point, and that it didn't look secured to the wood enough. It will be very interesting to watch how this all turns out - give it a shot!
Link Posted: 11/20/2009 5:56:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Not overly portable compared to commercial traps, but in the back yard-who cares?  I like it.

Looks like fun, and it definitely beats that guy that was trying to catch a raccoon with a hockey stick, a hot dog, and I think an igloo cooler.
Link Posted: 11/20/2009 6:10:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I apologize if you took my comments as smartassed, rude, or insulting, as I did not intend them that way.
BUT, a large boar coon can destroy heavier box traps than that.

I've had them chew wooden traps to pieces, and bust up heavier gauge wire ones pretty badly.
Having the wire on the outside of the structure will enable them to pop it off the frame.
Continuous,single piece of wire (one seam) on the inside of the frame would be much stronger, preferably 1"X1" or 1"X2" heavy gauge/welded wire, and better protect the wooden frame.

A lot depends on the specific critter.
Some will just sit there, and others will dismantle the trap, then want a piece of you.  

Also, stake the trap down, or otehrwise brace it, or they can roll it,and escape easier.

Again,sorry if I came across wrong.
Good luck, and I hope you catch him!
Dave

In that case, thanks for the advice.  It won't go for long without me or someone checking, about 5 hours at the most.  If a coon tears this trap up, he has my respect.

As far as the staples outside, there's a crap ton of them in it, but if he goes totally berzerker, who knows.  I really don't see one breaking out of it though.
Link Posted: 11/20/2009 9:30:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't underestimate the strength of coons. I trapped & hunted them when I was younger for money. Prices were high then. Coon are the little brothers of bears. They are tough, strong and very smart. A mad coon can literally tear apart a trained coon dog that is 5x its size in a matter of minutes.
Link Posted: 11/20/2009 9:31:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Dave15,

It appears I owe you an apology.  I went and tested the screening, and I think a big one would have popped the staples out.  So I went in and reinforced it with 3/4" hammer in staples.  Now one isn't pushing it out anyways.  As long as it doesn't bit through it I should be okay.
Link Posted: 11/20/2009 10:00:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I've trapped a lot of coons, over 100 at least, doing nuisance wildlife control work.

Besides what's already been said, you are going to need some way to make that door stay shut. Gravity alone isn't going to cut it, a coon will be out of that in minutes, if not seconds.

The best traps IMHO are the Duke heavy duty traps. These are very simple, and very stout. The trap door is held shut by a heavy ring on each side that slides down when the door shuts. The only problem with these is that they need to be staked down, if a coon tips it over they can easily escape.

I have been out of the NADC work for years, but still have one of these traps. We still use it from time to time to catch feral cats and other nuisance animals in the yard.
Link Posted: 11/21/2009 4:07:00 AM EDT
[#15]
I wouldn't say the Dukes are the nicest but they have to be the best value out there.
I bought some out at the NTA convention last summer for mid $20s! (and saved $$$ on shipping)
That design has been around for a LONG time: I had some 15+ years old made by a guy out in Indiana.
Washers drop and the door is locked, as long as you stake or otherwise secure it to keep from rolling.

Somewhere I have a photo of a HUGE pile of livetrapped coons, (probably over 100) in cage traps,, and a stack of over 1,000 Tomahawk traps, folded down.

The Tomahawks were a GREAT trap, although spendy, in that they folded flat for easy storage/transport, and one could easily adjust the trigger sensitivity. I caught hundreds of coon in them and never had one get out, once in. (did have door hang a couple times, but that was MY fault, usually debris in way)

But props to the OP, making stuff is half the fun, and a GREAT way to increase your enjoyment.
And there is nothing like catching a critter/fish/whatever in or on a trap/lure/etc you have made your self!
Link Posted: 11/21/2009 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Nice looking trap!  I like the design and the craftsmanship!  Good job!

I agree with the need to keep the door shut after an animal is trapped.  I have been using a bought wire mesh type trap.  When I have caught ground squirrels in the trap the bend the metal trap door to the point where it is difficult for me to open it.  The trap door has a tab on it to prevent the door from being open without pressing the tab.  Sometimes, the squirrels figure this out and open the door.  I bet the coons are stronger and smarter than the squirrels.

Keep us informed about what you catch (with pictures).
Link Posted: 11/21/2009 12:52:57 PM EDT
[#17]
what are you using for bait?
Link Posted: 11/22/2009 6:20:27 PM EDT
[#18]
catch that furry basketball yet?
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 5:33:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Got to make the door latch shut or he will be right back out and it should be stacked down or it will get rolled. I have a live trap I welded up in high school shop and still use it but the wire has been replaced. A groundhog really tore the shit out of it the last time it was out.
Link Posted: 11/27/2009 3:56:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Welp, you guys were right, lol.

Well, I think the pictures speak for themselves, I'll tweak the design a little next year with a spring/dowel rod locking mechanism.

20:46, Coon is spotted:

23:29, Coon moves toward trap:

23:49, Coon is in trap, I am 200 miles away dealing with a family emergency.

02:00, Coon is out of the trap, chillin.

02:39, Back from family emergency, 490 miles round trip, notice trap is sprung, confirm total failure for the day....for the loss.

I need to drill 2 holes and make a dowel rod spring lock.  Had I been back there instead of on a family emergency I would have had him as I was checking the trap pretty often from a distance.
Link Posted: 11/27/2009 4:19:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Waiting on round 2.
Link Posted: 11/27/2009 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Why are you waiting a whole year? Keep this going, man!
Link Posted: 11/27/2009 7:36:47 PM EDT
[#23]
My property is 200 miles away.    I won't get up there regularly until my kids are a little older.
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 11:31:46 PM EDT
[#24]
A wood trap won't last more than about 30 minutes, the raccoon will bust it apart.  

You need big, strong trap with a solid-locking door.
Link Posted: 11/30/2009 8:20:44 AM EDT
[#25]
wood screws maybe?
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 3:30:49 PM EDT
[#26]
My buddy said I caught one, the only problem is I am 200 miles away, lol.  He left it up there to see if it would work.  It did and he let the coon go, said it was a smaller one.
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Yep. When I was younger we used to set live traps. Coons would always tear a big ass hole in the side. Luckily we almost always caught possums.
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 11:12:02 AM EDT
[#28]
why not use a hav a hart trap?  coons will tear out of a wood trap given enough time.
Link Posted: 12/7/2009 2:06:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
A wood trap won't last more than about 30 minutes, the raccoon will bust it apart.  

You need big, strong trap with a solid-locking door.

This.  I built one almost exactly like yours when I was a kid and a coon tore it all to hell.  If you can get on it quick it will work.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 8:42:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
why not use a hav a hart trap?  coons will tear out of a wood trap given enough time.

I don't know, that was part of the fun.  Next season I feel confident I will have a big one caught.  I'm one locking mechanism away from success.
Link Posted: 12/9/2009 6:34:40 AM EDT
[#31]
you should make it so when the coon springs the trap, a trap door opens up and the coon falls into a punji pit.... just saying......
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 6:44:37 PM EDT
[#32]
are you going to make any snare's?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top