Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2008 1:46:44 PM EDT
AH HA! I suck again....

skunked for my third outting straight.  I went out early this morning and found absolutely nothing.  I saw one Jack run off from the side of the road as I was driving in, that was it for wildlife.  I hiked in and right as it was getting light out, I was sitting on the hill side of a nice canyon with water running the bottom.  Sat there for about 30 minutes, then trying some Jack distress calls for about 20 minutes.  I sat for another ten minutes, then moved to the next bend down the canyon and repeated.  The only thing I can't understand, is that there are tracks everywhere in the sand washes in that area.

here are some pictures:

at least I was able to get out of the city for a few hours.  Seems like I always see coyotes out all over except when I have my rifle.  I think it's just my luck.
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 2:03:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats how it always goes .

Maybe get a decoy? Not sure though because that canyon looks like it might limit both your view and a coyotes view.

Maybe you should try more open ground. The coyotes could be just beyond the edge of the canyon and you wouldnt be able to see them
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 3:28:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Season's pretty much over, man. Give it a rest until the fall when the pups come out - right now adults are all worried about denning up, they are way too cautious and way too occupied.
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 3:42:07 PM EDT
[#3]
That is a really pretty place!  

Can you use electronic calls there?  If so, place it at some distance from you and watch the areas/routes of access to the call.

Do you have a buddy to go with you?  Sometimes one of you might see something the other one misses.

Looks like a great place but most of what I've read says if they don't show up with 15 or 20 minutes of your call you should move to a new location.

Good luck.  Keep us posted, and more pictures.
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 4:18:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Season's pretty much over, man. Give it a rest until the fall when the pups come out - right now adults are all worried about denning up, they are way too cautious and way too occupied.

well that's dissappointing... So what am I suppose to go after now rizzo?
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 12:04:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I know what you mean. My first outing trying to kill yotes was met with total failure. Plus, there were urine marks on my car rims when I got back!
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 11:20:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, during the summer I keep my skills sharpened on rabbits! Makes for great practice on long and short shots, running shots, and it's damn fun!

Coyotes can be called all year long, and you will certainly see them out and about during the summer, but they are very call shy and you are dealing with the possibility of highly educated dogs. Fall brings out the pups, the cold, and the desire to hunt rather than hump. Keep trying if you want, but most guys I know and hunt with around the country call it off during the summer. Plus it's damn hot here in AZ!

If you want to see some coyotes called in during the 115 degree summer of Phx, get Rich Higgin's video "Up Close and Personal" - it's a great video, even with the "Blair Witch style" camera work, and Rich is a great guy as well. Find it HERE.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 6:11:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Well, during the summer I keep my skills sharpened on rabbits! Makes for great practice on long and short shots, running shots, and it's damn fun!

so what is the prefered technique for rabbits?
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 10:30:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool pics.  The scenery looks very cool.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 7:21:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Cool pics.  The scenery looks very cool.

AZ never ceases to amaze me at the diverse landscape you find just forty minutes away.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 7:58:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Well rabbits can be had a number of ways. You can find a good dirt road and just cruise until you see them and then put the stalk on them or shoot 'em where they stand. You can hike around and "beat the bushes" until you scare some up, or you can pick a good vantage point and play "Bunny Sniper" all day. They are out mostly in the morning and evenings, I just went out Monday night and got me some. Watch that handling, though, they are thick with ticks already.

I've called them in with my rabbit distress to some degree, or at least got them moving when I was sniping them. A hawk call will generally stop them in their tracks and allow some a good shot. Don't chase them, they won't run far if you don't. Look under the trees and in the shadows when you're out and about and trust me, you'll see them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:58:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Well rabbits can be had a number of ways. You can find a good dirt road and just cruise until you see them and then put the stalk on them or shoot 'em where they stand. You can hike around and "beat the bushes" until you scare some up, or you can pick a good vantage point and play "Bunny Sniper" all day. They are out mostly in the morning and evenings, I just went out Monday night and got me some. Watch that handling, though, they are thick with ticks already.

I've called them in with my rabbit distress to some degree, or at least got them moving when I was sniping them. A hawk call will generally stop them in their tracks and allow some a good shot. Don't chase them, they won't run far if you don't. Look under the trees and in the shadows when you're out and about and trust me, you'll see them.

I suppose I'd need some wide open places for the vantage place idea
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top