Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2007 7:37:23 PM EDT
May not be the right way but works for me and the kids like the rug/throw that it make for them to play with.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tried out a home made caller home made caller, made by my friend over at sawtac.com  this morning 10-31-07

IT WORKS GREAT.

Right after sunrise, 8:30-45ish  10ish mile per hour wind from the east. clear weather.

Maybe 15 to 20 minutes one shows up, but didn't have a clear shot, should have brought the SKS and then I could have take the shoot Thur the Sage brush.

Right after that one bugs out since it didn't see anything moving and just noise coming from a bush. (They are smart)

Another comes in from a separate gully.

I have him in the open.

The owner of Sused his range finder and confirmed 99 yards. I though it was half that distance.

Using a Marlin 60SS , 22lr with a 4X scope.

In right behind the front leg Thur a lung and then the guts and out the opposite side in front of the hind quarter.  It ran 30 feet and was on the ground . I had to put  round in the back of it's head to kill it though.

Happy Halloween

Now we begin skinning

Ring the hind legs

Be careful don't cut this tendon. I was luck it never pulled off the gimbel. Knife was shaper than I thought.

I leave the piss hole and the crouch and trim around the anus with a razor blade

I split the tail very carefully with a razor. Find it easier to tan and just sew it back together later

Pull down the body, this is the easy part.

Pull as far down over the ears as possible

After you are stuck, trim the ear cartledge close to the skull, you will be cutting thur the ear canal.

Keep pulling and carefully using you knife to trim around the eyes and the lips, inside the mouth.

Case skinned. I suppose if you sold it this is where you would put it on a wire rack to dry.

OR if you want to spend $300 to have someone tan it for you , place in a bag and freeze it.

I will be tanning it my self so...cut it open down the center. Can be sew later. I like to open the hide up to make sure the tanning chemicals get everywhere.

Naked Coyote

Like I said this may not be the "right way" to do it. So if you have a suggestion please write it up. I am always trying to improve myself.

Link Posted: 10/31/2007 8:28:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats awesome! Go get some more.
I haven't had any time to go call'n. So seeing you with that one, REALLY gives me the hanker'n.

In Christ,

Song Dog
Link Posted: 10/31/2007 8:45:46 PM EDT
[#2]
From the first cut to the end cut, how long did it take you to do that?

ETA: Also how much did you pay for the caller?
Link Posted: 10/31/2007 9:41:03 PM EDT
[#3]
About 20 minutes to do.

But I had my daughter helping and having her take pictures, too.

ETA about $50 in parts, excluding the IPOD. Could subsitute any old MP3 player, CD player or walkman, anything with a headphone output.

Speaker , amplifier, and two cables from radio shack, box was from Wally world, paint too.
Link Posted: 10/31/2007 9:50:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Thats pretty much the way I do it too, but I think I learned not too far from where you did too.
Link Posted: 10/31/2007 9:54:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice
Link Posted: 10/31/2007 9:56:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I need part names and numbers for that callin rig. Awesome.
Link Posted: 10/31/2007 9:58:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Very educational. Would be cool if you could show some of the tanning process too
Link Posted: 10/31/2007 10:02:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Could you make a list of the parts and how to put them all together?

Where can you download sounds?

Thanks for the skinning instructions.

Great post
Link Posted: 10/31/2007 10:13:33 PM EDT
[#9]
www.varmintal.com/coy5-20.htm

Down the page.

Parts are from Radio Shack. Except the box.

another site same idea.

www.predatormastersforums.com/homemadeecaller.shtml

lots of ways to do this.

Link Posted: 10/31/2007 10:17:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/1/2007 4:05:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks a bunch.
Link Posted: 11/1/2007 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#12]
As far as skinning goes, do you really just pull the skin off or do you have to filet it as you go?  I imagine getting the skin, nose, and lips off the head are a real bitch?

Nice pics.

Are you gonna freeze the yote for rizzo?
Link Posted: 11/1/2007 8:21:55 PM EDT
[#13]
The connective tissue is stronger around the legs, joints, the head.

Around the body and neck it is loosely held and easy to pull off. Kind of peeling off.

But just peeling gets a lot of fat and meat, which makes fleashing more time consuming.

Do a few of these and you figure out what areas are worth taking some more time to filet, around the ears, between the eyes because scarping is a real pain because the area is small to work in.

You do have to be carefull pulling because if you don't get a good wide spead grip and just start pulling from an edge you can quickly get a tear in the hide. Constant, firm, building in strenght pull  is better than quick and fast pulling.
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 12:20:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Great write up and pics!
I've seen where folks that do a lot use a electric hoist.
Swiveled base on floor, with vice grips welded on (remove springs before welding)
Make starting cuts,then insert gambrel same as you did.
Ceiling mounted hoist gets its cable droppd and hooked to gambrel.
Hind leg skin doubled over and Vicegriped.
Then peel.
Pretty slick.
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 12:29:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Tag for when i get home
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 4:10:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Great post... Thanks for sharing.. I really want a coyote hide on to display, but i didnt properly prep the hide after skinning so the hair came off when they started tanning it. :-(

BTW - you should send the rest over to the guy who had the post about eating predators.. LOL

Brian
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 4:27:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Next time, use a 110 gr. .308.  It'll kill it, gut it, and skin it, all at the same time.    
I need to go coyote hunting again, there is a bounty on them in certain counties in Virginia.  MJD
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 5:13:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Good post, a couple comments.
If you were going to dry it to sell, you'd need to flesh it first.  Put it on a beam, use a special knife and remove all the meat and fat.  Then turn it inside out on a stretching board (which can be made of wire) and stretch it out tight.  Let it get about half dry, then take it off and turn it right side out.
Other option is to sell it "green", in which case you should take that hide, air it out, let it cool, then put it in a bag and freeze it until time to sell.

I had a fox tanned for about $60.  For $300 you could almost get a full body mount.

One step you didn't photograph was the front legs.  Basically you pull the hide off like sleeves, then ring around the legs to release it.  I usually peel down the leg further then cut through just past the toenails.  You've left it up higher but cut a ring around the leg up higher, either is fine.

To answer someone else's post, you may need to use a knife some as you go down the abdomen.  If you're strong enough, you may be able to peel them without it though.  Coyotes are tougher to peel than raccoons.

Quoted:
Case skinned. I suppose if you sold it this is where you would put it on a wire rack to dry.

OR if you want to spend $300 to have someone tan it for you , place in a bag and freeze it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 5:33:00 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
May not be the right way but works for me and the kids like the rug/throw that it make for them to play with.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tried out a home made caller home made caller, made by my friend over at sawtac.com  this morning 10-31-07

i31.photobucket.com/albums/c375/Navajozorro/DSCF0806.jpg

i31.photobucket.com/albums/c375/Navajozorro/DSCF0805.jpg

IT WORKS GREAT.

Right after sunrise, 8:30-45ish  10ish mile per hour wind from the east. clear weather.

Maybe 15 to 20 minutes one shows up, but didn't have a clear shot, should have brought the SKS and then I could have take the shoot Thur the Sage brush.

Right after that one bugs out since it didn't see anything moving and just noise coming from a bush. (They are smart)

Another comes in from a separate gully.

I have him in the open.

i31.photobucket.com/albums/c375/Navajozorro/100_4002.jpg

The owner of Sused his range finder and confirmed 99 yards. I though it was half that distance.

Using a Marlin 60SS , 22lr with a 4X scope.

In right behind the front leg Thur a lung and then the guts and out the opposite side in front of the hind quarter.  It ran 30 feet and was on the ground . I had to put  round in the back of it's head to kill it though.

i31.photobucket.com/albums/c375/Navajozorro/100_4000.jpg

Happy Halloween

i31.photobucket.com/albums/c375/Navajozorro/100_4003.jpg

Now we begin skinning

Ring the hind legs
i31.photobucket.com/albums/c375/Navajozorro/100_4004.jpg

Be careful don't cut this tendon. I was luck it never pulled off the gimbel. Knife was shaper than I thought.

i31.photobucket.com/albums/c375/Navajozorro/100_4005.jpg

I leave the piss hole and the crouch and trim around the anus with a razor blade
i31.photobucket.com/albums/c375/Navajozorro/100_4007.jpg

I split the tail very carefully with a razor. Find it easier to tan and just sew it back together later

i31.photobucket.com/albums/c375/Navajozorro/100_4006.jpg

Pull down the body, this is the easy part.
i31.photobucket.com/albums/c375/Navajozorro/100_4007.jpg

Pull as far down over the ears as possible
i31.photobucket.com/albums/c375/Navajozorro/100_4008.jpg

After you are stuck, trim the ear cartledge close to the skull, you will be cutting thur the ear canal.
i31.photobucket.com/albums/c375/Navajozorro/100_4009.jpg

Keep pulling and carefully using you knife to trim around the eyes and the lips, inside the mouth.
i31.photobucket.com/albums/c375/Navajozorro/100_4010-1.jpg

i31.photobucket.com/albums/c375/Navajozorro/100_4011.jpg

I will be tanning it my self so...cut it open down the center. Can be sew later. I like to open the hide up to make sure the tanning chemicals get everywhere.
i31.photobucket.com/albums/c375/Navajozorro/100_4012.jpg

Naked Coyote

i31.photobucket.com/albums/c375/Navajozorro/100_4013.jpg
i31.photobucket.com/albums/c375/Navajozorro/100_4014.jpg

Like I said this may not be the "right way" to do it. So if you have a suggestion please write it up. I am always trying to improve myself.

Hey good thread man, cant wait to see pictures after you done tanning the hide
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 5:42:52 AM EDT
[#20]
I made that same call rig about 3 months ago.   It took about 20 mins to put together as I couldn't find the soldering iron, otherwise it would have taken mere minutes to assemble.  I use a 20 min and a 16 min call cycle with a 2 min silence at the beginning to give time to get away from the call.  Very effective.
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 6:37:20 AM EDT
[#21]
nice!!!  great thread....

*ninja tag*
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 6:46:23 AM EDT
[#22]
cool post. Tag for when I finally get a coyote
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 6:56:30 AM EDT
[#23]

Good information, thanks for the thread.
 tag for coyote kill.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 9:06:32 AM EDT
[#24]
I would be very interested in another thread about how you tan it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2007 9:56:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Bump for Tanning thread
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:18:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top