Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2014 3:56:15 AM EDT
hey whats up everyone. i am looking for a new set of knives for skinning and gutting. i came across a really nice set from knives of alaska. its the light hunter combo. i also spoke to my dad and he told he wants to get the swingblaze from outdoor edge. everything i read about both knives are amazing. any suggestions on which of the two or something different? i am open to suggestions.

Oscar
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:07:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Cabelas Alaskan guide series made by buck for cabelas. Made of s30v steel stays sharp for a long time and easy to resharpen. Mine has been awsome. I have skinned two deer and it's still razor sharp. Can be had for around $100.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:45:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Outdoor Edge Swingblade or SwingBlaze work great.  So do a $10-$15 Mora and an Opinel No8 folder.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:28:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Knives of Alaska makes some really good heavy knives.  If you want to get some knives and not spend as much the Mora knives are a great value and made from good steel that will sharpen quickly.  If you decide to buy a knife made from D2 like a lot of Knives of Alaska are then spend the money and get you some diamond sharpening stones otherwise your going to take a lot of time to sharpen a blade on a regular stone.

I have two Moras that I like and I can sharpen both in a few minutes.  Really only need one for a skinning and cutting knife but if I hit something unexpected I can grab the other one and use.  Both of the Moras were less than $40 shipped.  If you look around you can probably find them for that or a little less for the stainless models.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:31:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I really like my knives of Alaska. Orange handle too, so you can't lose it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:37:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Knives of Alaska makes some really good heavy knives.  If you want to get some knives and not spend as much the Mora knives are a great value and made from good steel that will sharpen quickly.  If you decide to buy a knife made from D2 like a lot of Knives of Alaska are then spend the money and get you some diamond sharpening stones otherwise your going to take a lot of time to sharpen a blade on a regular stone.

I have two Moras that I like and I can sharpen both in a few minutes.  Really only need one for a skinning and cutting knife but if I hit something unexpected I can grab the other one and use.  Both of the Moras were less than $40 shipped.  If you look around you can probably find them for that or a little less for the stainless models.
View Quote

good info here. thanks for the heads up on sharpening D2.
also which Moras knives are preference for my application?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:03:57 AM EDT
[#6]
For skinning and field dressing look into havalon knives. They use a replaceable blade system so you always have a scalpel sharp blade. The blades aren't stout and you will need other knives for processing the meat, but for under $40 bucks they rock.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:01:44 PM EDT
[#7]
man so many choices to choose from. the knives of alaska are beautiful. havalon, super practical. swingblaze another practical knife. LOL too hard to pick
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:41:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I like syn handle Mora's w/ Carbon blade.  Stainless are good also and require less care.  Get one of each on same order to cut down on shipping.  Probably cost $30 shipped total.
If for deer hunting they make w/ orange handle and sheath.  Easy to find on the ground.  I do not belt carry w/ the provided sheath, I  put it in a pack or bucket.
Enjoy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top