Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2012 6:05:27 AM EDT
Alright, I'm going on my first deer hunt with my son on a buddy's property. He has 3 stands, nothing on the ground. The stands will not support both of us, and my son will be filming it. Question is, can we just do a make shift blind on the ground say around a clump of bush or tree?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:17:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Unless you want to get another stand up don't see you have much of a choice unless he was familiar with using climbers and had access to one - that could be an option.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:01:22 AM EDT
[#2]
You could buy a cheap fixed position stand and attach it above the shooter who is sitting in the existing ladder stand.

The guy filming should then be in pretty good ' filming ' position '.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 5:31:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Alright, I'm going on my first deer hunt with my son on a buddy's property. He has 3 stands, nothing on the ground. The stands will not support both of us, and my son will be filming it. Question is, can we just do a make shift blind on the ground say around a clump of bush or tree?

Update; Well, we went out and hit the stand. it was 39 degrees 4mph breeze and light rain. My son was able to sit for about an hour brfore heading back to the truck. I started at 3 pm, and got a sighting of approx 30 turkeys, and the rain was coming down a little harder. At 4:30 pm, 5 doe and 1 buck move across the open field, from where I'm sitting, approx 300yds. A doe walked within 100yds, but turned and headed back to the left of the tree line with other 4 does and buck in tow. Approximately 4:45, I was waiting for them to follow the tree line towards me so I can get a clear shot. All of a sudden, they turned and sprinted back across the open field. I looked to the rear of them and there was a group of kids riding the MC bikes screaming at the deer. Visibility was getting bad and the weather cooled to 31 degrees. Needless to say, my first outing was finished. I spoke to my buddy and asked he he would mind me putting a couple shed stands up, and he was good with it. So, I'll bring a couple to his land and be ready for next season, we'll just work with what he has now. He was write about the time line of the deer movement, I'll hit it again Monday.

Cold, wet and .......I loved it!
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 5:57:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 6:10:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cold, wet and .......I loved it!

Hang in there, and you'll get one soon enough.

Honestly, I hope my son gets his first. He would be stoked! Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top