Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2012 10:47:08 AM EDT
What do you guys use for cold weather boots. When I say cold I mean in the 20's. I realize for some of you that may not be cold but it is for me.

Right now I have a pair of rocky boots with 800 gram insulation that are also gortex. I wear thick wool socks and usually have to put those stupid hand warmers in down by my toes. It works for a little while and then my toes start freezing again.

I thought about getting some electric socks but I'm not sure how well they work. Do I need to just buy a better pair of boots?

Any suggestions??
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 10:55:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Your arent gonna believe me but you are probably doing too much.  If you get your feet too hot they will start to sweat and then get cold.

I use a 400 gram Danner Boot and and a wool sock and thats it and my feet never get cold.
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 10:57:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Get a boot that fits correctly. I was amazed how warm my feet were in my EEEEE
800 Gm Red Wings.  For REALLY cold, tree stand sitting I have a pair of Sorrell Dominators.
They are more pak boot and you cant really walk/hike too well in them.  I usually just wear
my Red Wings and a plain old tube sock.
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 11:08:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Big thick wools socks usually prevent your toes from moving around and warm air circulating sufficiently.

Seriously...get rid of the shitty Rockies and get some Danners (made in USA) not all Danners are or other HIGH quality boots. Size them in order to wear a mid weight wool blend sock. Blended with polypropylene to wick away moisture. 400-600 Gram Thin is good.

I wear 400 gram Danners. Made in US. Yes they were $329.00 but will last, comfortable and can be re built by Danner. You get what you pay for. When my Rockies crapped out in 2 years and found out they were made in the DR...NO MORE ROCKIES EVER!!!
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 11:15:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I had that problem as a kid..so my dad wouldn't let me put my boots on until we got to our destination, whether it was the woods or the water. My feet would get hot and sweat, and then the moisture would turn my toes into icicles. If that's a big problem, carry an extra pair of DRY socks to put on after the mile hike into the woods.
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 11:16:24 AM EDT
[#5]
The ones I'm wearing are a little big and have plenty of room. But my feet do sweat easily and by the time I get to my stand they are soaking wet. That's when I pull out the warmers.

The funny thing is last weekend I just wore my uninsulated boots with these same socks and my toes weren't that bad. It was in the mid thirtys. Maybe I am doing too much.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Edit for spelling. I'm on my iPhone in the blind right now.
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 11:58:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I love my Muck boots.I went through many pairs of boots over the years till I discovered them.I have yet to put a pair of insulated socks on in the 6 years I have owned them.
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 12:08:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Your arent gonna believe me but you are probably doing too much.  If you get your feet too hot they will start to sweat and then get cold.

I use a 400 gram Danner Boot and and a wool sock and thats it and my feet never get cold.

This

Link Posted: 11/25/2012 12:17:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

This is so hard for me to accept.
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 12:36:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

try it.. dont try it....  its up to you..   what do you have to lose?

I know i bought some 800 gr thinsulate LaCrosse rubber boots and thick merino wool socks...  my feet froze, as mentioned my feet got too hot then sweated - the socks were soaking wet

The last few times I went out I just wore a 'liner' sock and my feet were warmer - not toasty, but i think i bought the boots one size too small and they cant breath
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 12:42:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I will.

Part of the problem may be my feet sweat easily in just regular shoes and socks. I might have to take a change of socks with me to the stand next time.
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 1:27:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I will.

Part of the problem may be my feet sweat easily in just regular shoes and socks. I might have to take a change of socks with me to the stand next time.

someone recommended using anti-perspirant on the feet to stop/slow the sweating..

Bring a fresh pair of socks is probably the best thing though..

Link Posted: 11/25/2012 2:36:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Thin polypro socks on foot transfer water away from the foot.  Loose boots are better.  I used to wear my Dad's old cowboy boots to ride in the winter because I could fit wool socks and still have room.  

Another thing.  If you get boots large enough you can put wool felt soles under your feet.  
Herman Survivors used to have a felt liner between leather layers in the sole to insulate the foot from the ground.
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 3:07:32 PM EDT
[#13]
US military Mickey Mouse boots. Black ones are good to -20* , white ones to -40*. I have both and they work. You can pick then up for $40-50.
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 3:08:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I wear 1000 gram Irish Setter boots with thick socks and depending on the temp (40 or below) I will put foot warmers in there. It was in the 20s the last few days and my feet never got cold. I wear them bow hunting too when it's 50-60, I just wear thinner socks.
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 3:35:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

I wasnt gonna take the time in my first post to write this but here goes.  My best friend worked in a Mossy Oak Factory store years.  They sold Rocky, Danner and LaCrosse Boots. (Danner and La Crosse are same company).  The Rockys were good up until the point they quit building them in Nelsonville. Ohio.  He NEVER got one Rocky returned for defects or leaking until they started making them overseas.  The new Rockys let in air and moisture that a higher quality boot like a Danner does not.  I have friends who constantly say they their feet get cold in 1000 gr boots ( Rocky, Carolina, Georgia, Wolverine, etc.)   I have worn my Danner Santiams 400 gr with a single pair of Smartwool socks and have never had cold or wet feet.  

Danner and the like are more expensive for a reason.The USA made ones are built by hand in Portland Oregon and the difference shows.  I had to be convinced too for what its worth.  I had several other brands before I learned and was just as disappointed with them as you are yours.  My friend got his own dealership with them after the store closed.  I dont pay anywhere near retail.  I have made this offer to other members and will to you.  If you want to try a pair of Danners at a greatly reduced cost IM me and I will give you his info.  He can have them drop shipped to your door.  

If you still think we are wrong, I am just a guy on the internet.  I hope you get it figured out.
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 3:59:07 PM EDT
[#16]
the battery powered socks do work and can help out if you are like me.

I get cold and need packboots, but i cant walk very far in them, so I wear Danner Arcadia with 400 grm of goretex (found em in the deal thread for 70bux).  But thats not enough boot for me when sitting still.  So I walk in, and sit down, when i get all done being warm from my walk, i turn on my socks.  Carry extra batteries.
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 4:29:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

I wasnt gonna take the time in my first post to write this but here goes.  My best friend worked in a Mossy Oak Factory store years.  They sold Rocky, Danner and LaCrosse Boots. (Danner and La Crosse are same company).  The Rockys were good up until the point they quit building them in Nelsonville. Ohio.  He NEVER got one Rocky returned for defects or leaking until they started making them overseas.  The new Rockys let in air and moisture that a higher quality boot like a Danner does not.  I have friends who constantly say they their feet get cold in 1000 gr boots ( Rocky, Carolina, Georgia, Wolverine, etc.)   I have worn my Danner Santiams 400 gr with a single pair of Smartwool socks and have never had cold or wet feet.  

Danner and the like are more expensive for a reason.The USA made ones are built by hand in Portland Oregon and the difference shows.  I had to be convinced too for what its worth.  I had several other brands before I learned and was just as disappointed with them as you are yours.  My friend got his own dealership with them after the store closed.  I dont pay anywhere near retail.  I have made this offer to other members and will to you.  If you want to try a pair of Danners at a greatly reduced cost IM me and I will give you his info.  He can have them drop shipped to your door.  

If you still think we are wrong, I am just a guy on the internet.  I hope you get it figured out.

I absolutely see your point about the Rocky's not being a quality boot. Go figure right mine are made in china.

I really would like a good quality boot and I greatly appreciate your offer. A PM is on the way.
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 5:15:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I love my Muck boots.I went through many pairs of boots over the years till I discovered them.I have yet to put a pair of insulated socks on in the 6 years I have owned them.

This is the winner.

I have spent a small fortune on boots over the years.

Several years ago I bought a pair of mucks.

I now own 2 pair of them.

Temp rating from -20-+70 degrees.

I usually wear a liner sock or a mid weight. A heavy weight will cause feet to sweat and then you are done.

Recommend going up one size from normal wear.

Additionally they are the most comfortable boot I own. ( like wearing tennis shoes).

My recommendations to hunting partners, caused many of them to switch to muck boots also.

They all wore Danners, Rocky's, Irish Setters, LaCrosse.

Link Posted: 11/25/2012 5:17:18 PM EDT
[#19]
My boots are 800g Thinsulate and I wear Smartwool or Omniwool socks.  Perfectly comfy for me.  

1. Are your boots too small?  

2. Try some sock liners, silk or poly-something or other, they're great for keeping sweaty socks off your skin while hiking in them.
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 6:54:39 PM EDT
[#20]
I wear Matterhorns which I belive are 200 gr with a pair of Thorlos but if I'm sitting all day then it'e the LaCrosse Icemans for sure.  

Of course it hasn't been too cold this year but that's what I've done for the past 10+ years
Link Posted: 11/26/2012 5:48:44 AM EDT
[#21]
You are using to much insulation and your feet are sweating.  I have the same problem even in slightly warmer weather. Feet need to breath. Just use less thinsulate like 400 and wear regular cotton socks. The you will be able to dissapate moisture and excess heat from shoe. Unless you have bad circulation in feet and boots are to tight. Loosen them laces up a bit.

Quoted:
What do you guys use for cold weather boots. When I say cold I mean in the 20's. I realize for some of you that may not be cold but it is for me.

Right now I have a pair of rocky boots with 800 gram insulation that are also gortex. I wear thick wool socks and usually have to put those stupid hand warmers in down by my toes. It works for a little while and then my toes start freezing again.

I thought about getting some electric socks but I'm not sure how well they work. Do I need to just buy a better pair of boots?

Any suggestions??

Link Posted: 11/26/2012 1:34:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I Have a friend in Alaska that swears buy these.
Link Posted: 11/26/2012 5:56:38 PM EDT
[#23]
I have learned that the warmer my core is, the warmer my extremeties.

When it is cold here, I wear pack boots that I bought a size too big, and wool socks.  My hand warmers go one in each coat pocket since I wear mechanix gloves, and if need be I put one in each chest pocket of my shirt.  In 30 minutes my ass can be on fire.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2012 6:10:18 PM EDT
[#24]
What I've found which works best for me. After cold feet after a short time in the duck blind, something had to change. An old timer told me this trick.

I never put on wool socks or till I get there. Hell, I even kept my wool sock and liner socks near the heater in the truck. When I reach destination, shed socks, put liner socks, then wool socks, then waders. I've stood in water in teen temps for several hours,  broke ice to set decoys, and haven't had cold feet since.
Link Posted: 11/27/2012 1:27:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Minnesota boy here... allthough the last few years have been fairly mild I've hunted in temps anywhere from -15 to 60. There's a lot of good advice posted already but there's a few additional things I'll point out. Your feet get cold out the bottom so its the design of the boot that matters most. Even boots rated for -135 can suck if the insulation is all in the top and the only thing between your feet and the ground is a 1/2 inch rubber sole.

Choose a boot that has a nice thick well insulated sole.
Make sure they fit loosely. Not to loose but you should be able to freely wiggle your toes. Do not restrict circulation with a fit thats to tight.
Drop the thick socks. If the boots are good all you should need is a nice comfortable pair of moisture wicking liner socks.
Moisture control is huge. Sweaty feet turn into cold feet. Use some unscented spray anti-persperant on your feet when getting ready.
Spend the extra money for gortex!
Get a pac boot that has a removable liner so you can dry them easily for the next day. You can even pick up an extra pair of liners so you have a dry set ready to go.
Keep your legs warm. Its hard to keep your feet warm if your pumping cold blood through them.

Happy Hunting!
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 5:15:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Not suggesting a particular brand, but sizing is important. I have much more success keeping my toes toasty with lots of room in the boot. I have 200gr Danners that feel just as warm with slight moving around and tube socks as my 1000g Rocky's with tube socks. I like tight fitting Wigwam wool socks and only wear my thick socks when I'm wearing rubber boots now.
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 5:36:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Cabelas Inferno 2000 boots are awesome. Light weight and warm. 2nd year for mine and could not be happier.
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 7:30:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I think I've narrowed it down to these Danners. Just need to come up with the funds to get them.
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 6:36:44 PM EDT
[#29]
I was just introduced to Muck's last year. After I gave in and purchased a pair, I was so impressed I bought a 2nd pair for rain, snow, etc. They are not only warm but they are the most comfortable shoe I have ever worn.  I would seriously wear them every day if I could.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 5:29:30 AM EDT
[#30]
It's not the boot's it's the socks. You can have warm toes today doing just a few things.

1. Wear a liner sock - These can be expensive hiking liners from REI or cheap men's dress socks from walmart. What is important is that they are NOT cotton. Silk is ok but poly works great.

2. Wear a merino wool outer sock.

3. Wear boots that are big enough to accommodate thick socks.

4. Use a Toastie Toes chemical warmer if sitting on a treesatand for hours.

Personally I wear uninsulated rubber boats all year. My feet don't sweat hiking in and with this system I am able to hunt all day.\

Good luck
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 6:01:33 AM EDT
[#31]
I relly want to "pull the trigger" on a pair of Muck style (High rubber) type boot
but am leery of putting the damn things on and taking them off.  My friend got
a pair for hunting the swamps in VA (They are a big necessity) but watching him
struggle to put them on and needing assistance in taking them off has me worried.

Is there a boot like this that has an easier way to get in/out than forcing tight
rubber over your foot?  I have ungodly wide feet (5E) so I can only wear Red
Wings and new balance shoes (They make wide, wides for us guys with Fred
Flinstone feet).
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Recommend you go to store and try on.

I wear them and have never had an issue getting on or off.

If you are like some of us that have hit your retirement weight, look at getting a boot helper. Step on it with 1 foot, place other in stirrup and pull foot out.

I will never wear anything else besides Mucks. They are that warm and comfortable.

I do recommend going up a size. Just in case you want to wear a thicker sock.

I usually wear a Bass Pro grey liner sock, or a Under Armour lightweight boot sock.

They have done me well in 3 seasons of deer hunting, duck hunting and turkey hunting, as well as use around farm, and playing in the snow.

Well worth the money in my opinion.

Quoted:

I relly want to "pull the trigger" on a pair of Muck style (High rubber) type boot

but am leery of putting the damn things on and taking them off.  My friend got

a pair for hunting the swamps in VA (They are a big necessity) but watching him

struggle to put them on and needing assistance in taking them off has me worried.

Is there a boot like this that has an easier way to get in/out than forcing tight

rubber over your foot?  I have ungodly wide feet (5E) so I can only wear Red

Wings and new balance shoes (They make wide, wides for us guys with Fred

Flinstone feet).

Link Posted: 12/4/2012 4:45:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I will.

switch to "smartwool" socks.  worth every penny.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 5:21:49 PM EDT
[#34]
I wear regular old cotton socks (sometimes synthetic weave) in plain old uninsulated Danner Rainforests and my feet NEVER get cold.

Maybe they're just used to it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2012 8:34:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Thermacell
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 3:09:17 PM EDT
[#36]
I would highly recommend either carrying your boots or just leaving them in the stand.  Sweating on the walk into the stand is the main reason most people get cold feet.  I leave my heavy jacket, insulated bibs, and boots in my stand.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 3:44:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Oversized Pac boots, two layers of smartwool socks.  Keep your core warm, you head warm and your feet will follow.  Avoid cotton at all cost.
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 9:34:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Make sure your boots are dry before you go.  My feet sweat bad, and I'm a firm believer in the Peet brand boot driers.  

Woolrich, Smartwool, Under Armour, and Duray all make great socks.  The thing to remember about wool is that it insulates even when wet.  

Change your socks at least once a day while you're out.  If you're hunting from a stand you might think about hiking to the stand, getting up in it, and changing your socks there.

If your humping it all day then change them right after you eat lunch.  

Danner makes great boots.  You can't go wrong with them.  Just make sure you get them broke in before you try to go a whole day with them on.  Also take a look at Schnee's boots.
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 10:55:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Might be helpful if you tell us more about what you're doing.

If you're sitting in a tree stand, consider ditching the boots altogether and wearing some down booties instead. (Let the other guy laugh at your 'ghey booties'... I promise your feet will stay warm.)

If you're moving around, moisture control is the name of the game. Personally, I don't really like leather boots all that much anymore for this very reason... once they get wet (Especially goretex), they're impossible to dry out in the field - which inevitably leads to much colder feet than a dry shoe. The last straw for me was waking up to boots that had frozen solid overnight. I much prefer a lighter-weight boot/shoe with the correct combination of socks. I've found that my feet can stay ridiculously warm while moving inside moab ventilators wearing sealskinz socks with a polypro liner. When I stop, the whole system can dry out overnight and be ready to go in the morning. Forget doing that with leather boots. (If it's really, really, terrifically cold I'll wear wool socks under the sealskinz. But for me the temperature needs to be at or below 10* or my feet start sweating something awful)

If it's going to be really, REALLY cold I'll pack an extra silnylon bag and put my shoes in them (For cleanliness) and keep them in my hammock/sleeping bag with me to dry them out and keep them from freezing overnight.

So in conclusion - yeah, socks man. Socks. I think people get entirely too focused on having so-called 'indestructible' boots and forget that the thicker and heavier a thing is, the harder it is to dry it out and the colder it will be once it gets wet.
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 12:01:46 PM EDT
[#40]
It's been answered correctly multiple times.

Muck.

Link Posted: 12/12/2012 12:10:07 PM EDT
[#41]
+1 for Muck boots I'm on my second pair in 7 years. I have hunted in 18 deg weather with no problems. I'm the guy that if my feet get cold I'm headed to the truck.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 6:57:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Brian I work outside year round as well as hunt and fish year round. Not just in the south but all over the country. I have spent literally thousands of dollars on boots over the years. Without question the warmest boots are the pack boots followed very closely by insulated rubber boots. My current favorite is the Lacrosse rubber boots with 1200 gram insulation. I think you know where to find them pretty cheap too.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 4:29:39 PM EDT
[#43]
I generally hunt the 3rd season in Colorado wearing Air Force issue boots, gortex, really no insulation to speak of.  I wear a wicking liner sock, and a light merino wool outer sock.  Rarely have issues with cold feet, and the boots are comfortable enough for hour long sitting sessions in the cold, and walking the couple of miles I do each day while hunting. I think the socks matter more than the boots, as long as boots are breatheable and water proof.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 11:34:27 AM EDT
[#44]
While it doesn't get really cold for prolonged times down here, I've hunted a lot below in below freezing temps and I gave up trying to find a boot that keeps my feet warm. I finally bought a pair of those big pillow-looking things you are supposed to zip over your boots. Instead, I take my boots off, put in hand warmers and slip them over my feet. They've got plenty of wiggle room for circulation no matter how many socks I wear. Of course this method won't work if you hunt on the move. In that case the #1 thing is to make sure your boots are big enough for wiggle room while wearing thick socks. That was my biggest mistake every time I bought boots, I never accounted for thick socks.

Link Posted: 12/22/2012 10:27:23 AM EDT
[#45]
I wear my duck hunting waders for hunting in the woods. I wear two pairs of Fox River wool socks underneath. Never had a problem with sweating and moisture. It keeps the water from brush off your legs and you can cross a stream if you need to. Excellent traction. Combined with a parka and a good hat, you are almost impervious to the weather. Best of all, you can wear sweat pants underneath.

One time while hunting in the snow, instead of climbing down a steep hill, I sledded down on my ass. Way faster and way more fun. Can't do that in hunting pants.
Link Posted: 12/25/2012 5:39:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Mickey mouse boots from the local army surplus store are all that keep my feet warm
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 7:17:43 AM EDT
[#47]
WIDeerHunter hit the nail on the head.  If you have a good walk and you are going to sweat pack your boots and wear something uninsulated and comfortable to the stand then change once there.  I pack most all of my clothes and my cold weather boots(Rocky Bear Claw 1000 gram thinsulate), when I get to the stand I sometimes strip down to boxerbriefs and put my clothes I wore out into a zip locking bag if I really worked up a sweat.  Maybe I am a little extreme in changing but it's what I do.  Moisture is your enemy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top