Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2012 10:23:25 AM EDT
I only got the 2 pics from my game cam this morning so I'm guessing he's a 6-8 point.
He's healthy as they get here.
According to the time stamp on the pics he was around for about 40 minutes or more.
I've been watching 2 does for awhile now & they came in at 6:00pm last night.
Was going to shoot a smaller doe but it got to dark to fast to get a shot off.
Maybe a good thing since this big guy came in shortly after.

He's in the middle of the food plot I planted a month ago that has oats growing up.
Question is what can I put out to get him in more often ?
Rut is not on yet so can I expect him to come out just before dark so I can hopefully get a shot at him ?
Anything I can do besides wait & hope.

I took this pic from my food plot 2 weeks ago.

Pics from last night.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 2:50:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll assume you're hunting afternoons.  So.... I think your best bet is to backtrack him to get a sense of where he's bedding during the day. If you can, set up on his travel route near (but not in that bedding area.)

He's probably getting up and starting to move toward food near dark, so if you've been setting up in his feeding area, it's dark before he actually gets there. Setting up near his bedding area may buy you enough daylight to kill him.

Just note that he probably has a different route back to the bed in the morning  than the one he's using in the evening to get from bed to food.
Tracks and rub lines should help you decipher him a little.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 2:57:24 PM EDT
[#2]
This time of year, any scouting or stand-moving will only hurt you.

The single best way to kill him, or any other buck, is to hunt that place when the wind is right as often as possible. If I knew what part of the country you were in, I might tweak that advice slightly, but it would only be slightly.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:55:57 PM EDT
[#3]
This is my property where I live in East Texas.
I've been watching the first 2 hours in the morning & then the last 2 hours of daylight before dark.
The good part is that I know I'm not disturbing him or the does that come in.
I have a comfy spot set up where I can see 3 sides.
I have a tree line on all 3 sides which is where the property line fence is.
I have clear view all the way to the back tree line & both corners & everywhere in between.

I'm sure he's bedding on a neighbors field which is about 50 acres.
Nobody is living on it as there's no house or trailer on their property.
I know where all the trails are & they normally come in from the back left corner of the tree line.
Then they go out the opposite corner in the back.
Sometimes the does come up the middle of my field & then leave thru the side tree line near my house.

I have a clear line of sight all the way up to 200 yards so taking a shot is no problem anywhere they might be.
Sounds like it might be a watch & wait for the right time if a shot presents itself.
We have a strong cold front coming in tomorrow night & hopefully that will start the rut here.
Should be about 32 degrees on Saturday morning.

Here's the view from my shooting position to give you an idea just how good I can see everything.
I'm shooting a bolt action Win.70 in 308 with a McMillan stock & 6.5-20 LR Luppy scope.
I built this rifle for long range & it's a little over kill but, the 308 will bring the buck down.
I use a 16" Bushy in 7.62x39 on does since they get much closer.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:47:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I think you may have a good chance of him coming out during daylight when the coldfront hits. How is the hunting pressure in your area? If it is high you may only ever see him at night.

If you are just now getting pics of him and only at night he is already on the move looking for doe and may not be around long.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:12:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Only 1 guy about a mile from me hunts deer.
1 neighbor next to me is to old & has 1 foot in the ground & the other side of me is a wooded 3-1/2 acre lot.
Behind me is a 100 acre empty field that gets mowed & hay bailed only & nobody lives on it.
So basically, nobody close enough to disturb the deer that come around here.

I saw the game camera go off again tonight about 7:15 so maybe the buck is starting to come in earlier.
The does also come in during the night & have seen pics on the game cam at 4:30am.
I saw the same buck 2 weeks ago in the same spot in the food plot but, it was about 30-40 minutes before dark.
Totally caught me off guard that day & he was walking towards the back tree line.
I'll be watching the first couple hours in the morning & late afternoon till dark to see if I get a chance for a shot.
I guess only time will tell & I have plenty of time till the season ends.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top