Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2012 5:11:37 PM EDT
I realized I have a camo real tree AP 'hunting' jacket (which needs to be replaced) that only gets worn ~1 wk of deer rifle season and maybe a handful of other times for muzzleloader season, then it sits in the closet until next year..  I am considering replacing the jacket with something in another non-camo color that could be worn for casual use throughout the fall/winter

What color, besides camo, would you recommend for deer hunting?   I am thinking foilage, OD, or some other green color - or maybe something in gray-ish.. I like coyote, but im afraid that is too close to the color of a deer.

Right now im leaning toward the Condor Summit softshell in foilage or olive drab   OR the Rothco Tactical Jacket in olive drab

Brian
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:18:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I like coyote. As long as you have a blaze orange of some sort you should be good. Don't see to many deer (animals in general for that matter) wearing blaze orange!
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't hunt deer, but I like reading about animal eyesight and how it works against humans, and camouflage.

Everything I've read about is deer pretty much they don't pick up an appreciable amount of color, so really any color other than blues doesn't matter as long as it's broken up a bit.   The trade off being they pick out movement and see in the dark better.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 4:55:11 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks everyone..  

I do wear a blaze orange vest whenever im hunting - so maybe the coyote would work..

Brian
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 5:02:26 AM EDT
[#4]
How about a coat from Filson?

I have an oiled Tin Cloth of theirs in tan that is still going strong after about 10yrs.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:07:14 AM EDT
[#5]
How about something from Carhartt?
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:13:57 AM EDT
[#6]
It's tough to beat the classic Woolrich red-and-black plaid.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:19:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't hunt deer, but I like reading about animal eyesight and how it works against humans, and camouflage.

Everything I've read about is deer pretty much they don't pick up an appreciable amount of color, so really any color other than blues doesn't matter as long as it's broken up a bit.   The trade off being they pick out movement and see in the dark better.

This.  Movement will bust you more than color.  However camo helps if you are more exposed.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:41:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

How about a coat from Filson?

I have an oiled Tin Cloth of theirs in tan that is still going strong after about 10yrs.

Hard to beat Filson. Expensive, but it lasts.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 11:09:09 AM EDT
[#9]
thanks for the filson, woolrich and carhart suggestions, Ill take a look at them..

I was originally looking for for a soft shell/fleece because of the low weight to warmth ratio and being wind resistance/proof

brian

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 11:27:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Get your self a Filson wool coat. Green and black, red and black  or solid color. Expensive yes , But very styleish for those jaunts into town on the weekends.Before there was camo. the red and black woolrich was the ticket.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 11:56:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Get your self a Filson wool coat. Green and black, red and black  or solid color. Expensive yes , But very styleish for those jaunts into town on the weekends.Before there was camo. the red and black woolrich was the ticket.

Go away Hipster
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 12:09:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go away Hipster

Joking or serious?

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 12:27:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Go away Hipster

Joking or serious?

Half and half.  I very much dislike hipsters, this very much sounds like a hipster comment.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 12:45:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Go away Hipster

Joking or serious?

Half and half.  I very much dislike hipsters, this very much sounds like a hipster comment.

Sounds like a good idea, to me. Filson wool is stylish, and functional. No reason to look like shit when hunting. Filson and Woolrich wool is badass, much classier than any bullshit RealTree crap.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 12:49:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Go away Hipster

Joking or serious?

You need to hang around more hipsters, as that is not a hipster comment.  

There's nothing wrong with being stylish.  Filson makes classic, stylish jackets some of which have not changed in 100 years.

Recommending Filson for hunting and looking good the rest of the year wearing the jacket is a lot different than recommending bands you've probably never heard of, and the tightest skinny jeans.  

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 12:51:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Go away Hipster

Joking or serious?

You need to hang around more hipsters, as that is not a hipster comment.  

There's nothing wrong with being stylish.  Filson makes classic, stylish jackets some of which have not changed in 100 years.

Recommending Filson for hunting and looking good the rest of the year wearing the jacket is a lot different than recommending bands you've probably never heard of, and the tightest skinny jeans.  

ok,  the only people I see wearing red flanel jackets around here either bought them new in 64 or they are wearing them with skinny jeans, and birth control glasses
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 1:16:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

ok,  the only people I see wearing red flanel jackets around here either bought them new in 64 or they are wearing them with skinny jeans, and birth control glasses

If you're neither one of those things, what's it matter?  Why let other peoples looks dictate what you will or will not wear?  If I were to wear an old Filson red plaid next to a hipster in the same jacket, I'd look like a stud while he looked like a tool.
I'm not trying to change your opinion or anything, I agree, Hipsters in red plaid look like idiots, but they look like idiots no matter WHAT they were, because they are trying to be hip.  Old guy, well they are going to look old no matter what as well.
But if you wear the same thing in a stylish manner, you'll look completely different.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 1:21:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

If you're neither one of those things, what's it matter?  Why let other peoples looks dictate what you will or will not wear?  If I were to wear an old Filson red plaid next to a hipster in the same jacket, I'd look like a stud while he looked like a tool.

I'm not trying to change your opinion or anything, I agree, Hipsters in red plaid look like idiots, but they look like idiots no matter WHAT they were, because they are trying to be hip.  Old guy, well they are going to look old no matter what as well.

But if you wear the same thing in a stylish manner, you'll look completely different.

That's cool, you can wear skinny jeans if you want, also.  I dont really care what anyone else wears, I wouldnt care about hipsters if they were not so damn annoying.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 1:24:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Blaze orange?

I actually had one of those. Luckily everyone just assumed I was a Broncos fan after hunting season was over
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 5:57:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Blaze orange?

I actually had one of those. Luckily everyone just assumed I was a Broncos fan after hunting season was over

or a Univ of TN fan   lol
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:00:20 AM EDT
[#21]
I bought an Outback outfitters oil skin jacket.  It's water proof and very warm.  I wore it while working up in western WA this past winter and it kept me dry as well as warm.  Very comfortable and doesn't look half bad either.

It's called the deer hunter no less.  

http://www.outbacktrading.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=114
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:28:13 AM EDT
[#22]
I usually wear a Carhartt jacket. In all reality, you could probably wear a clown suit as long as you sit still and don't honk your nose.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:30:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I usually wear a Carhartt jacket. In all reality, you could probably wear a clown suit as long as you sit still and don't honk your nose.

true.. i was just looking for something more hunting colored..  My carhart jacket is quite heavy, but warm

Based on cost, and i want to try one out - I am leaning toward the rothco/condor jacket in olive green or foliage - trying to decide which would be less 'military' looking
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:23:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Look at your surroundings for the color that blends in the best. Simple but effective.
Quoted:
I realized I have a camo real tree AP 'hunting' jacket (which needs to be replaced) that only gets worn ~1 wk of deer rifle season and maybe a handful of other times for muzzleloader season, then it sits in the closet until next year..  I am considering replacing the jacket with something in another non-camo color that could be worn for casual use throughout the fall/winter

What color, besides camo, would you recommend for deer hunting?   I am thinking foilage, OD, or some other green color - or maybe something in gray-ish.. I like coyote, but im afraid that is too close to the color of a deer.

Right now im leaning toward the Condor Summit softshell in foilage or olive drab   OR the Rothco Tactical Jacket in olive drab

Brian

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:42:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go away Hipster

Why should I go away. Cannot you not depict the sarcasim. Or you must not have looked at a LL Bean catalog. So go in peace.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I like coyote. As long as you have a blaze orange of some sort you should be good. Don't see to many deer (animals in general for that matter) wearing blaze orange!

I investigate hunting related shootings for a living.  No way would you get me in coyote or natural brown like on carharts.   Why wear something that looks like the target?  I do strongly recommend the orange even if it's just a hat.  remember though if you're walking through the woods, other people are only seeing you in bits through the vegetation, don't want them to just see the brown before they decide to shoot their "doe".  

I'd go with a OD or natural green style barn coat, anything but brown, coyote or rust colors.  

Oh and just a reminder, take an honest look at any orange articles of clothing you're relying on for safety.  Are they faded or grunged up with dirt stains and not as effective as when new?  Old faded safety orange is a lot lot lot less effective.  I was guilty of that one for years with a handme down quilted vest.  

You make the call on your own safety, I'm not harping on anyone just giving you points to consider.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:32:43 PM EDT
[#27]
tap of doubleness
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:53:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I investigate hunting related shootings for a living.  No way would you get me in coyote or natural brown like on carharts.   Why wear something that looks like the target?  I do strongly recommend the orange even if it's just a hat.  remember though if you're walking through the woods, other people are only seeing you in bits through the vegetation, don't want them to just see the brown before they decide to shoot their "doe".  

I'd go with a OD or natural green style barn coat, anything but brown, coyote or rust colors.  

Oh and just a reminder, take an honest look at any orange articles of clothing you're relying on for safety.  Are they faded or grunged up with dirt stains and not as effective as when new?  Old faded safety orange is a lot lot lot less effective.  I was guilty of that one for years with a handme down quilted vest.  

You make the call on your own safety, I'm not harping on anyone just giving you points to consider.

Is that your only role, or do you perform other duties ?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top