Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2012 1:55:50 AM EDT
Some years back I used a 22/250 for deer. My bullet was a 55 grain Nosler/combined technology. Always a pass thru with massive lung damage. Saturday I finally made myself use my ar-15 (14.5" barrel ) with same bullet. Shot a Doe behind the shoulder at 30 yards and watched it run into a thicket 70 yards away. No blood on the ground until it was in the thicket . Found 10 to 12 spots for about 30 yards then it stopped. Searched about 80 yards in every direction, no more blood. Suspected bullet "blew up" on contact. 6 hours later, another doe came by,same shot,same distance, as it ran off into another thicket, it did not act like it had been hit. This time no. Blood anywhere. I suspect that at that short range the bullet had not stabilized yet and hit the deer while it still had "yaw". This caused bullet disintergration. Oh well, live and learn. At least the deer will live for another day. The AR platform is good for a lot of things,but, I'll go back to using a more suitable caliber for deer.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 6:36:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep. 6.8 SPC is a great game taking round. Deer, hogs, bear and Elk have been reported on 68forums.

Taking mine out on Friday to take some whitetail.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 7:13:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The AR platform is good for a lot of things,but, I'll go back to using use a more suitable caliber bullet for deer.

Your BULLET CHOICE is your failure, not the cal.

You're using the wrong BULLET.  Why use a BT varmint bullet for med size game?  You need some 70gr Semi-Spitzers... I've killed plenty of deer with the Speer 70gr and so have my friends that I've given loads to.  Hogs have fallen to the same load with total success.

Speer and Winchester both make 62-64 grain loads using soft point loads, that with proper shot placement, would have put those deer in the freezer.  Two words... TERMINAL BALLISTICS.

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:03:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Searched 80 yards in all directions, then wounded another one with a varmint bullet? JFC.

"Oh well, live & learn.."

Please stop hunting.

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 2:01:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Searched 80 yards in all directions, then wounded another one with a varmint bullet? JFC.

Please stop hunting.

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 3:42:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please stop hunting.

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#7]
A .22-250 has significantly more powder volume than a .223, and correspondingly higher velocities - approximatel 3700fps at the muzzle instead of 3000-3100 for a 55gr bullet.

Along with the velocity is the energy - that 600fps increase accounts for almost 60% more energy at the muzzle.

OP, YOU failed to be an ethical hunter. The bullet didn't fail; in fact I'm quite sure it performed exactly as it was designed.

If you insist on using a marginal caliber for deer, use the right bullet. Bonded or solids.

Guess the coyotes are eating well tonight.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 4:36:27 PM EDT
[#8]
You didnt recover either deer so you do not know where you hit either one, IF you did hit them where you say they were laying dead not far from where you stopped looking.  It can be impossible to recover deer in some areas if you dont get an exit and good blood.  Its best to pick a bullet that will exit and do sufficient damage.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1384989_Deer_vs_223_Season_4_Graphic_Pics_11_11UPDATE_MULTI_KILL.html
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 4:45:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please stop hunting.

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 3:32:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You didnt recover either deer so you do not know where you hit either one, IF you did hit them where you say they were laying dead not far from where you stopped looking.  It can be impossible to recover deer in some areas if you dont get an exit and good blood.  Its best to pick a bullet that will exit and do sufficient damage.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1384989_Deer_vs_223_Season_4_Graphic_Pics_11_11UPDATE_MULTI_KILL.html

Man. That's some serious damage. Might make me rethink not using my 5.56 for deer in the future.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:16:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Short barrel bulletmay not be going fast enough to work nosler has a min fps for bt
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:27:15 PM EDT
[#12]
your bullet exploded just under the skin, caused major damage and your two deer are lying dead in the woods.
you didnt have much of a blood trail because there was no exit wound and hardly any would have leaked out the
entrance wound.
good job feeding the coyotes

next time, use a bullet made for BIG GAME, not prairy dogs.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:20:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

what is funny?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:41:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Sad for the deer, just my twisted sense of reality. Amazes me that two different cartridges are expected to have the same results.  I just expect to much knowledge from my fellow shooters. And not to use marginal cartridge bullet combinations for the job at hand. That is all.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:45:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sad for the deer, just my twisted sense of reality. Amazes me that two different cartridges are expected to have the same results.  I just expect to much knowledge from my fellow shooters. And not to use marginal cartridge bullet combinations for the job at hand. That is all.

I just killed 9 for 9 stone dead, with a similiar bullet, although under very different circumstances
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:57:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Must have been excellent marksmanship. Put that bullet in a soft spot between ribs and should do the trick. But a questionable shot is bad juju with that type of bullet. Not a perpetrator, designed for rapid expansion and explosiveness. Glad it worked for you sir.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:40:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Must have been excellent marksmanship. Put that bullet in a soft spot between ribs and should do the trick. But a questionable shot is bad juju with that type of bullet. Not a perpetrator, designed for rapid expansion and explosiveness. Glad it worked for you sir.

Through the shoulders, through the spine, through rib bones.  I am pretty sure my thread is linked above.  I do not say varmint bullets are good for deer, I encourage people to use something better.  They are are not as bad as most people think.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:46:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The AR platform is good for a lot of things,but, I'll go back to using use a more suitable caliber bullet for deer.

You're using the wrong BULLET.  Why use a BT varmint bullet for med size game?  You need some 70gr Semi-Spitzers... I've killed plenty of deer with the Speer 70gr and so have my friends that I've given loads to.  Hogs have fallen to the same load with total success.

Speer and Winchester both make 62-64 grain loads using soft point loads, that with proper shot placement, would have put those deer in the freezer.  Two words... TERMINAL BALLISTICS.

Just in case anyone missed it the first time...
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:03:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just in case anyone missed it the first time...

For the most part I agree.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Plenty of other chamberings available to hunt deer ethically, and effectively.  At the least, like many others said, use a big game bullet, not a varmint bullet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top