Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2011 12:38:36 PM EDT
Posted this in GD but was completely ignored....this was sent out today by National Wild Turkey federation. This deserves attention and your letters:

Court Ruling Puts Hunting Rights on Public Land in Danger
Your Action is Needed to Stop This Attack on Our Hunting Heritage
Federal Circuit Court ruling on the Forest Plan for the Huron-Manistee National Forest in central Michigan mandated that the Forest consider banning all firearm hunting on all or portions of 13 Semiprimitive Areas.

This court ruling sets a troubling precedent that could pose a threat to gun hunting on portions of our federal lands across the nation.

On Dec. 28, the Forest Service published a Notice of Intent (NOI) to comply with Court direction and develop a Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (SEIS) that will review the proposal to ban firearm hunting on the identified areas.

The Forest Service proposes only two alternatives. The first is “No-Action;” this would reaffirm existing management direction on the Forest and continue to allow hunting on the identified areas. The second is “Modified Closure Alternative;” this would ban firearm hunting on some portion of the identified areas.

The Forest Service is accepting public comment on the two alternatives until Feb. 11, 2011. It is critical that the sporting community stand united in protecting our right to hunt because if we allow this to come to pass in Michigan, it may be coming to your state next.

Below is a sample comment to help give you a starting point for developing your comments. Please take a few moments to personalize your comments and include what you believe to be the impact of a decision to ban gun hunting. Adding this information will help the Forest Service make a well informed decision.

Sample Comments

I urge the Huron-Manistee National Forest to select the No-Action alternative and continue to allow firearm hunting on all Semiprimitive Nonmotorized Management Areas and the Nordhouse Dunes Primitive Area.

Language from the Circuit Court decision that prompted the development of the SEIS suggesting that nonhunters who recreate on lands open to public hunting should be able to do so “without ducking the occasional gunshot” demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of American’s tradition of responsible hunting.

The decision also ignores the many decades of harmonious coexistence between hunters and other recreationists on public lands throughout Michigan and across America.

The opportunity to hunt with a firearm exists for approximately 5 months annually in Michigan. However, substantial hunter activity occurs for only a handful of days each year in association with the gun deer season and several weekends during other popular seasons.

As our nation works to introduce a greater proportion of our citizens to the outdoors, it would be counterproductive to create artificial barriers to do so by establishing zones where well-supported and long-practiced recreational uses are no longer allowed.

I strongly urge the Huron-Manistee National Forest to aid in sustaining our hunting heritage by selecting the No-Action Alternative as outlined in the SEIS.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 5:31:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:20:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It doesn't surprise me to see no response in GD.  This site has surprisingly few hunters for being a "gun site."

Sad, but true.
Always seem to find myself on the otherside of the divide with TOO many GD folks on TOO many issues.

Other than a love of guns, not much in common I guess, esp. in areas that MATTER to me.
Shocking how quickly we've become a nation of wussified urbanites with no understanding of, or ties to, the "natural" world.
END OF OLD GUY RANT.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:36:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I get down sometimes. I see on this and other sites post after post ranting about no place to hunt. Yet when there is a very real issue and a need to be involved.....three of us care enough to do something.

Mr BeeKeeper....dont forget my NRA Life deal!
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:38:22 AM EDT
[#4]
this is somthing that needs to be watched but all the court did was mandate they consider banning all firearm hunting on all or portions of 13 Semiprimitive Areas. The courts do that sort of thing all the time.  I would guess the suit started by some one what wants it banned and they went to the court and the court just said ok you have to at lest look at this.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top