Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2010 8:08:31 AM EDT
I am going to be using my 6.8 exclusively this year as I did last year.  I am currently using the 110gr Prohunters.  
I have been fairly happy with them.  The deer I shot two years ago ran off without a lot of blood loss.  The deer did make it
about 125 yards before expiring.  I have been reading up on the Accubond 110gr and the 110 Barnes TSX rounds.
I don't reload and am going to be using factory ammo.  Primarily hunting deer, hogs and the occasional exotic if I see one.
Either animal is going to go down if shot in the spine or CNS (with any of these rounds) so I am not worried about the prohunters failing at this.
Should I stay with the same or change?  Thoughts?  Experiences?  
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:46:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Hornady makes 115gr (or 110gr) Ballistic tip 6.8 round that i have had good luck with.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#2]
why are you shooting a deer in the spine? unless you are talking about a neck shot of some kind. otherwise you are messing up the backstrap.

You can always try the different ammo and see what performs best for you.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 1:23:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I have always had satisfactory results with Sierra bullets as long as I did my part and shot the animal in the vitals.  I don't feel it is necessary to use bonded bullets or even Barnes for deer.  I love the Barnes bullets but with the 6.8 velocities I don't think you would need a barnes or bonded bullet.  I don't know where you shot your deer but that could have had alot to do with it not leaving a good blood trail and traveling that far.    I did shoot an antelope with a Barnes XLC and though it killed it, the bullet really didn't do as much damage as a standard bullet would have done.  I think the antelope was to thin skinned and smaller bone stature and the bullet mushroomed slightly?  Will never know as I was never able to recover the bullet.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 11:46:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Sometimes deer just run a long ways after being hit well.

I shot a medium sized doe through the heart and both lungs this past season with a .300 Savage  150 gr JSP handload.  One drop of blood where she was hit, then she went probably 50 yards before we found more blood, then another 10-20 yards and suddenly it looked some someone turned on the blood faucet.  Another 50 yards after that we found her dead.  It probably only took her 10 seconds to die and bleed out.  She just ran full out for those 10 seconds.

If you have been satisfied with the bullet in the past and you can't identify an actual failure of the bullet, I'd just chalk it up to a deer that wanted to be as far away from the shooting as possible.
Link Posted: 9/17/2010 6:34:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
why are you shooting a deer in the spine? unless you are talking about a neck shot of some kind. otherwise you are messing up the backstrap.

You can always try the different ammo and see what performs best for you.

I'm not shooting for the spine.  I was illustrating a point that whatever bullet one uses would have the same effect if shot in the spine.
Link Posted: 9/20/2010 11:09:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Are you hunting small east TX deer or giant west TX deer? If the later I would change, if the former I would not. Some of those monsters out west would justify the cost of the Barnes. If not then I wouldn't bother because I don't think you'll notice any difference.
Link Posted: 9/21/2010 4:35:19 PM EDT
[#7]
ive shot 2 deer with my 6.8 with prohunters,, they did great,  one was about 30 yards and the other was about 100 yards, they did run but not very far. the prohunters get deformed a little from loading but accuracy hasnt been affected.
btw ive shot deer with 308, 44 mag. 25-06 , 30-06, 243, and can say a good hit from these will bring them down but a bad hit will let them run awhile
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 1:07:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I appreciate the replies.  Any other thoughts?
Part of me wants to try the Accubond 110's.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 5:56:44 PM EDT
[#9]
i shot 110 ab last year and got a 8point Northern MN buck. it worked great, it is what i'll be using this year. The AB have a great BC for 6.8 hunting round. check out 68 forums.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 1:41:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I strictly use the commercial loading of the 110PH.  Of the 5 deer shot with this rifle one went 20yds all the other dropped in their tracks.  The only hog I've shot, was with the 110PH and was a head shot, so of course it dropped immediately.   I plan on sticking with this exact round from now on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top