Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2010 11:49:04 AM EDT
how do you count the points on your bucks? do you just count the outside points?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:59:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Anything you can hang a ring on counts as a point.  Except drop tines, the ring falls off, so that is MINUS 1.

JK on the drop tines.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:17:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends on the game laws of your state.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:25:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Anything you can hang a ring on counts as a point.  Except drop tines, the ring falls off, so that is MINUS 1.

JK on the drop tines.  

This is the pretty standard practice.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:43:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Boone & Crockett, Pope & Young, and SCI all go with 1 inch minimum to be counted as a point.  Anything less than that is "character".  But most I know use the "ring" method.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:20:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:33:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I go by the standard 1" minimum, as do most people I know.

Same here.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:48:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.

Is the 1 inch minimum from the point to the middle of the tine that the point is coming off of?  Or is it from point to base?  Does that make sense?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:54:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Awesome, thanks for the link.  I have bookmarked it for when I get last years buck back, and to hopefully measure this years
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:39:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:45:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

same here.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:49:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:43:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I watched a show where Ted Nugent shot a buck that had a little inkling of a point starting. He said, "If Ray Charles can feel it, I count it."

It has to exceed 1" before I count it.

Thats pretty funny. Didn't he just get in trouble for taking to young of a deer?

Quoted:

JK on the drop tines.  

LOL. Thats a good one. That aside I use this method.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:21:28 AM EDT
[#14]
If you want to break down that 1" measurement further....For measuring purposes, the 1" point can't be wider than 1" at the base .

"To be counted a point, the projection must be at least one inch long, with the length exceeding width at one inch or more of length. All points measured from tip of point to nearest edge of beam as illustrated in Figure A. "

If anyone needs help finding your local Measurer, both BnC and PnY have a list on their sites.  If you're in Mo, give me a shout, I can fix ya up!!!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:56:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's state law in TX.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top