Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2010 7:36:17 PM EDT
I'm going to plant my food plots tomorrow. We have rain forecast for the middle of this next week.
Anybody else got started or planted theirs already?
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 8:36:31 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I'm going to plant my food plots tomorrow. We have rain forecast for the middle of this next week.

Yep,

Waiting for you to finsih yours so I will be set.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 8:42:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine were already planted a long time ago...
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 8:44:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep,
Waiting for you to finsih yours so I will be set.

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 4:23:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Down here we have to wait until the end of Sept.  Too hot and the catepillars get them.
Did oats and turnips last year will probably do oats and tricticale this year.

P
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 5:30:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 8:38:39 AM EDT
[#6]
A few more weeks for us.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 8:52:03 AM EDT
[#7]

In MO?

Was it wet there?

I am headed up in 2 weeks to put new floor in cabin, some slight maintenance, that way don't have to mess with it in Nov.

Keep seeing on the radar that they are getting rain there.

Hope it dries out, as we wanted to do some grading, and spread some more gravel on road.

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 9:01:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 9:03:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 9:26:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In MO?

Was it wet there?

I am headed up in 2 weeks to put new floor in cabin, some slight maintenance, that way don't have to mess with it in Nov.

Keep seeing on the radar that they are getting rain there.

Hope it dries out, as we wanted to do some grading, and spread some more gravel on road.

We got 3" of rain on the 20th, but it hasn't rained since. I disked it first, so you know it wasn't wet.

Oh, it is supposed to rain on Tuesday or Wed.

We are hoping to get everything done quickly, so we have time to get in a tree stand.

Especially since that is opening weekend for Bow. (Sept. 15th).
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 3:08:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I bush hogged an acre and sprayed it to kill off weeds.  I hope to get the disc on it by Wednesday...
I also put some Deer Caine out with a trail camera on it.  We'll see what starts pawing and gnawing?
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 4:11:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 4:22:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Our cowpeas have been in the ground for 2 weeks. We have had plenty of rain (Gotta love summer in the "The Sunshine State"), should be GTG.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 5:38:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I bush hogged an acre and sprayed it to kill off weeds. I hope to get the disc on it by Wednesday...

I also put some Deer Caine out with a trail camera on it. We'll see what starts pawing and gnawing?

Have you tried Lucky Buck?

I tried deer caine for several years. Tried Lucky Buck one year, and the deer absolutely created a sink hole.

It is a little pricey, especially if you follow the 4-5 buckets thruout the year. ( But it is guaranteed, or money back).

I have also been lucky with the Acorn Rage Apple (screw in) licks.

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:07:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Way too dry here to break ground.  Everything is crispy and brown right now.  I'm planning on bush hogging the grass down really low this week and spraying it to kill off all the ground cover.  When we get some rain I'm planning on laying down white and ladino clover.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 7:10:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I bush hogged an acre and sprayed it to kill off weeds. I hope to get the disc on it by Wednesday...
I also put some Deer Caine out with a trail camera on it. We'll see what starts pawing and gnawing?

Have you tried Lucky Buck?
I tried deec caine for several years. Tried Lucky Buck one year, and the deer absolutely created a sink hole.
It is a little pricey, especially if you follow the 4-5 buckets thruout the year. ( But it is guaranteed, or money back).

I have also been lucky with the Acorn Rage Apple (screw in) licks.

This is my first year to plant a plot or use any attractants.  I'm anxious to see how it all works out and I will keep the Lucky Buck in mind for next year.
I'm all for something that makes them create a sink hole!
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 7:14:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SNIP

SNIP

This is my first year to plant a plot or use any attractants. I'm anxious to see how it all works out and I will keep the Lucky Buck in mind for next year.

I'm all for something that makes them create a sink hole!

If you are able to do a "side by side comparison", get a bucket of Lucky Buck ($20) and try it while using the deer caine.

This is what I did, and switched to the Lucky Buck.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 5:28:36 AM EDT
[#18]
It may be a week or so before I can get my hands on some Lucky Buck, but I have the room to do it and will attempt to get it going!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:52:05 AM EDT
[#19]
PICS
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:16:16 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a small area I want to do, but it's been so dry. It doesn't get alot of sun so I'm thinking white clover.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:32:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:20:49 PM EDT
[#23]
I haven't checked out the food plots but my son says they are coming on strong. We brush hogged a few weeks prior, then worked the ground with a disc four times. Seed was broadcast by hand, then "cultipacked". We have had rain three times in the last two weeks, once over an inch.
I'll post some pictures when I get up there.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:53:55 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I haven't checked out the food plots but my son says they are coming on strong. We brush hogged a few weeks prior, then worked the ground with a disc four times. Seed was broadcast by hand, then "cultipacked". We have had rain three times in the last two weeks, once over an inch.

I'll post some pictures when I get up there.
Doing all that to the blacktop road must of been pretty tough on the equipment.

Wonder what the Road dept. is going to say about it.

How do you get the seed to grow on the blacktop?

Really don't understand why you did all that work, when all you do is "poach" off the golf course in town!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:33:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

.....Really don't understand why you did all that work, when all you do is "poach" off the golf course in town!!!!!!

You have to be quiet when you shoot them on the golf course.
I hate waking people up in the middle of the night who live on the golf course.
What they really frown on though is driving a 4WD pickup across the greens.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:01:11 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

.....Really don't understand why you did all that work, when all you do is "poach" off the golf course in town!!!!!!

You have to be quiet when you shoot them on the golf course.

I hate waking people up in the middle of the night who live on the golf course.

What they really frown on though is driving a 4WD pickup across the greens.

I always wanted to buy on of those golf ball launchers that you put on AR, and use blanks to launch golf ball.

"Excuse me, mind if I play thru"?  

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:44:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I always wanted to buy on of those golf ball launchers that you put on AR, and use blanks to launch golf ball.

"Excuse me, mind if I play thru"?  

They tell a story about a guy who played golf at a private 9 hole course near Lake Tenkiller in eastern Oklahoma during deer season..
He supposedly pulled out a rifle from his golf bag and shot a large buck near one of the greens.
He wasn't invited to join the club and was banned from the course from then on.
That's OK, I'd rather hunt than play golf anyway.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:41:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:35:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Looks like we might actually get some rain either today or tomorrow.....*fingers crossed*

Ditto!  I got my plot planted yesterday and rain would be freaking awesome!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:15:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like we might actually get some rain either today or tomorrow.....*fingers crossed*

Ditto!  I got my plot planted yesterday and rain would be freaking awesome!

I'm afraid to check mine because of the rain and sunshine we're having.
I might step out on the food plot and one of those seeds could sprout up and knock the breath out of me.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:50:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:30:29 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Here's my newest food plot at the two week mark. It is dry, but doing well:

http://i51.tinypic.com/n383md.jpg

It is the one on the right (bright green). It is about 100 yards long and 40' feet wide.

I am assuming this in in MO?

Can't wait, I will be at our place in MO this coming Wed.

If get all the things done around cabin, may even get time to climb in my stand for some Bow Hunting time.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:06:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:27:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:36:40 PM EDT
[#35]
We planted last weekend (N.E Texas)... killed THREE rattlesnakes, one was 4 1/2 feet long.  Keep your eyes peeled!
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:07:39 AM EDT
[#36]
I got mine planted last week.  We used timothy, brome, fescue, red clover and alfalfa.  Recommended planting dates for our area is around August 15 thru Sept. 15.  The area was all around a new small 1/2 acre structure we had built at the edge of the woods earlier this year. So far we had a 1/2" rain over the weekend and another 1" Monday night.  I haven't seen anything sprouting yet though.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top