Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2010 9:47:21 AM EDT
Ater several years, It is about time to get back into deer hunting. I was raised on a .308 and after a little bit of research, it seems to me like the .30-06 is probably the most versatile round out there. However, I started hearing about this .270WSM. I checked out the ballistics comparison charts on Remington's web site and it looks to me like the 270 is really fast and holds a ton of energy waaaay down range. A friend (who happens to know everything) said that the problem with production -06 ammo is that the manufacturers have to consider the (old) age of some of the guns that it will be used in so they don't load them very "hot". He went on to say that reloaded rounds can be loaded hotter to be more effective at longer ranges. So, here's my question: For mostly 100-200 yard whitetail and the occasional elk trip, which one is it? The .30-06 or the .270WSM and why? ...Oh, and don't forget the zombies!!!
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 10:06:17 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Ater several years, It is about time to get back into deer hunting. I was raised on a .308 and after a little bit of research, it seems to me like the .30-06 is probably the most versatile round out there. However, I started hearing about this .270WSM. I checked out the ballistics comparison charts on Remington's web site and it looks to me like the 270 is really fast and holds a ton of energy waaaay down range. A friend (who happens to know everything) said that the problem with production -06 ammo is that the manufacturers have to consider the (old) age of some of the guns that it will be used in so they don't load them very "hot". He went on to say that reloaded rounds can be loaded hotter to be more effective at longer ranges. So, here's my question: For mostly 100-200 yard whitetail and the occasional elk trip, which one is it? The .30-06 or the .270WSM and why? ...Oh, and don't forget the zombies!!!

To each his own.

I think you answered your own question:

A friend (who happens to know everything) said that the problem with production -06 ammo is that the manufacturers have to consider the (old) age of some of the guns that it will be used in so they don't load them very "hot". He went on to say that reloaded rounds can be loaded hotter to be more effective at longer ranges.

For mostly 100-200 yard whitetail and the occasional elk trip, which one is it?
So since you are shooting 100-200 yards shots, really doesn't matter if shooting factory 30-06 ammo that isn't "HOT".

Now some will say that ammo availability is what you should look at. Will it be available in a remote hunting camp, or in the middle of NOWHERE. I do not know one hunting companion that does not pack 2-3-4 boxes of ammo with them for their hunting trips. So that really is a minor point, unless off on a remote hunt.

I have found that parts availability is more of a concern. I was on a hunt and had a firing pin break on one of my 30-06 bolt guns. Drove and hour to the local "gunsmith"/gunshop, and he just happened to have one in the shop. I was back in the woods by the afternoon hunt.

Do not get me wrong, I have some "less common" calibers, and they do make it on several hunting trips.

It all comes down to what I want to hunt with on that hunt.

I admit, I got caught up in the "New Fancy Calibers" a couple of years ago, but to be honest.

My Go To gun has been a Remington 700 .243 for the past 3 years.

It is light, very accurate, and with the right bullet selection ( I like Winchester Ballistic silvertips) it performs like larger calibers.

Link Posted: 2/12/2010 3:48:09 AM EDT
[#2]
The .30-06 or the .270WSM and why?

Use ammo suited to the task and it won't make any difference which of those you have.
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 11:11:27 AM EDT
[#3]
.30-06 all the way.  There is no more versatile cartridge in existence.  In it's heaviest loadings it is adequate for bear or moose (although it's not my first choice).  Pushing a 150-165 grain softpoint it is perfect for deer, antelope, and most four-legged animals in N. America.  And there is no cartridge I like better for elk than the 180 grain Accupoint in a .30-06.  

You kind find ammo anywhere in the world, and it will work on almost anything that needs shooting.
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 3:26:05 PM EDT
[#4]
30-06 is hard to beat, especially if you are not going to have a bunch of different calibers.... YET!
A 165 grain that shoots well in your particular rifle will stack a lot of meat for ya. The .270 WSM is a fine cartridge, but ammunition cost and availability may be a concern. Reloading is the best way to fully utilize which ever round you decide on, though you will have a much larger (AND cheaper) selection of factory 30-06, than the 270 WSM.
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 4:44:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Well for 100-200 yard deer hunting an the occasional elk hunting trip the .308 would work just fine for you.

But to answer your question given only the choice of the .270 WSM and the .30-06  I'd say go for the .30-06.

2 big reasons.

1.  .30-06 ammo is available everywhere that sells ammo.  .270 WSM, while not rare is not as common either.  The .30-06 is also cheaper to shoot then the .270 WSM.

2.  I've owned a .30-06 for over 30 years,my brother has used the .30-06 for the last 30 years,  my dad still hunts with a .30-06 (has been using one since the late 1940's) has used it for deer, elk and moose.  The 3 of us can't be wrong.

And even if you do think we are wrong, the .270 WSM will do what you want just fine.
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 9:26:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't think it will matter which you use, both will be super effective on deer.

If I had to choose, I would choose 30-06 because it is more common like others have stated before. 30-06 is a very common round compared to the 270. The price of ammo differs a whole lot, that 270WSR is almostt twice the price, so I'd consider 30-06. Plus if you save your brass there are more folks out there that might want it compared to 270WSR. Ammo-to-go has 30-06 and 270SWR both in power point soft points for sale. 30-06 costs $17.95 a box while the 270 is $30.95, same bullet same factory.

30-06 is generally a hot round, even if the factory does load it on the cool side it is still WAY more powerful for whitetail than you will ever need. I really don't believe that an ammo company would load a load different because of its calibers age, so I think your friend was buying into some gun shop BS. Although that 270WSR is a magnum round which is why I think your friend thinks that it is loaded hotter, because it is.
Link Posted: 2/19/2010 4:51:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a 270 WIN for several years and it was a great gun for deer. But the 06 will bring down any thing in North America with the correct ammo. Lightweight bullets do excellent for deer sized game and the heavy loadins will bring down elk and bears.  With handloads you can taylor your rifle to great accuracy and the size game that you hunt.  It's been around a long time and is a proven caliber and it's very easy to find ammo when your away from home on a hunt.
Link Posted: 2/19/2010 7:42:36 PM EDT
[#8]
i have a 270wsm and love the bang flop ability of the cartridge on whitetail , but the 30-06 is still a standard that no one can deny . my advice would be to buy a savage action + a premium barrel in 30-06 ackley + premium stock + stoke it with 200gr accubonds = terrorize the planet
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:34:45 PM EDT
[#9]
.30-06 just because it is everywhere and there are literally hundreds of commercial loads for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top