Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2009 2:36:30 AM EDT
Was wondering what others do to get their deer out of the woods? I don't have an ATV (not allowed where I am going anyways) nor a helper for this weekend. I have no problem dragging a deer, however the area I am going to tomorrow will put me a good distance away from my vehicle. Dragging will be a long haul not to mention possibly getting debris on the meat. Any ideas for dragging one out? I would go buy a cheap sled but nothing like that for sale around here. I have a hand truck I could easily take with me which would work.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 4:09:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I have an old kids plastic toboggan that I through in the car. I haven't used it yet though.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 4:56:44 AM EDT
[#2]
That was my first thought but we don't really get snow, not to mention it will be 80 tomorrow. No sleds for sale that I know of around here. I might throw my hand truck in the car. With large tires it would make it easy to haul one like that. My area gives me quick access to a dirt road so it will be a smooth surface.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 5:17:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm still a fan of grabbing their antler and pulling them.  I used to have the straps that centered the weight to the middle of your back and they were more of a pain in the ass than anything.  Then I tried a rope around the antlers and just pulling, and that was a pain in the ass too.  So I went back to the old tried and trued method.

This year I am going to try something new, because the hollow I hunt in has a trail that is no longer ride-able.  I usually drop in from the top of a hill, and if I get one I drag it to the bottom, walk back up to the ATV, ride down a really treacherous hill, and then go back up it with a deer.  I barely made it down last year, and couldn't make it back up, even with my winch because a camber/trench issue kept flipping the ATV over, so I had to ride down the road 4-5 miles instead of up a 500 yard hill.  So this year I am going to try and use a pulley and 100' of rope to just drag the deer up the hill and bypass the deadly ATV aspect.  If it doesn't work, then I may just take the road to get there again.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 5:20:33 AM EDT
[#4]
This time of year there are a lot of lower prices on deer carts so look for one that fits your budget and space requirements.  You may need one that collapses more than the next guy.

I've used the following for a few years and it is holding up really well after quite a few drags.  You'd be surprised how easily the deer slides over logs and weaving through trees and stuff.

Dead Sled

If that link doesn't work for some reason, go to cabela's web site and type 'Dead Sled' into the search field.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 5:31:53 AM EDT
[#5]
If you are going to drag, put the front feet between the antlers or on a doe still put them above her head and cross the ankles. It makes the deer a little more stream lined.

Also as far as keeping dirt out.  DO NUT SPLIT THE H BONE or SPLIT THE HAMS. Spend 10.00 and get a Butt Out. They work great.

My Safety harness has a built in drag for deer. It seems to work pretty well.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 5:54:55 AM EDT
[#6]
If it's a doe you can get a 1" diameter stick and give her a quick nose piercing with it. That's worked well for me.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 6:07:38 AM EDT
[#7]
just bring a heavy duty tarp and throw that dead SOB on there and drag it out. If im to deep in the woods to bring my truck right to the deer I just do the good ol' tarp drag.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 6:30:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I usually just tie the front legs up to the head, or antlers if it's a buck, and take a branch about 1 1/2" in diameter cut about 18" long, tie rope around branch and pull away.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 7:29:33 AM EDT
[#9]
A rope and start walking.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 7:48:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought a cart and used it once. A deer sled or rope have been the best for me easier to carry with out making another trip back to the car, great in the snow.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 8:06:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I have tried all the options above.

I honestly have found that this works the best:

www.cabelas.com/p-0016702225596a.shtml

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 10:17:12 AM EDT
[#13]

My hunting partner had one of these when they first came out. Looks like they have improved the design.

His had the hard plastic wheels, and they cracked and broke. All he had was a tireless frame.

Modified it with the over size lawnmower wheels, and then sold in garage sale.

He said it was ok on flat ground, but when went up and down ravines/ditches etc.. it almost got away from him a couple of times. Also mentioned that when ground was wet, forget it.

Just what I have heard, have never used one personally.

Thankfully we have land where can get an ATV in if we need it. No ATVs allowed until every hunter is back at camp, then can fire up ATV and go get it. That way nobody has their hunt interrupted.

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 10:38:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 12:21:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Plastic sleds work great when you can't drive a vehicle. Buddy and I have pulled many a deer out with a large kids sled. If you have a Dunham's Sports store, check it out to see if they have any on hand. Saw one today, about six foot long for under $20. If they don't have one see if they can get one from a sister store in the northern tier of states.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 1:18:43 PM EDT
[#16]
We use those nylon strap loops that attach to a length of cord. It has 2 web loops (1 for each shoulder if solo or a loop for each guy if tandem).
Where I hunt now we can get my jeep pretty much anywhere and we run Quads. The longest I've had to drag a deer lately was 10 feet.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 1:39:36 PM EDT
[#17]
LIke I said, WAY too far to be dragging. I will take my small hand truck.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 5:32:13 AM EDT
[#18]
That sportsmans guide cart looks nice.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 5:57:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I got it good
Tractor , truck and if they run too far drag
I have a Game cart but its not for deer
BOV on foot
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:31:42 AM EDT
[#20]
I usally have one of those blaze orange things with a rope attached but last year i forgot it so i just used my safety harness. It seemed to work pretty good and i always have it with me so im going to just start using it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:37:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I honestly have found that this works the best:
www.cabelas.com/p-0016702225596a.shtml

++1 for Glenn's handle
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:09:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Have one knee replaced, two shoulders operated on, and the other knee scheduled for replacement and the only place you'll shoot one is where you can back the truck up to it.
I am not going to drag any more deer further than to turn their heads around where I can hoist them up into the truck bed.
Last year I actually killed two with one shot and both were in the easement to my property.  I just had to back the truck up to get them.
All I can say is I'm a lucky guy!

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:58:49 PM EDT
[#23]
I simply cut a 1.5 inch diameter branch about a foot long, tie six feet of paracord to the middle, and the other end of the paracord to the rack of the deer.  Both hands behind the back, lean forward and walk.  Works for me/
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:17:56 PM EDT
[#24]
i noramlly use a 4 wheeler but when i dont have it, i ususally just gut it, take a hike back to the truck drop everything off and drag it the old fashion way and just take alot of breaks
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:46:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Closest thing to the plastic toboggan I have...at SEARS.com by Pelican Products.  The side ropes are great for cross-lashing and securing the deer
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top