Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2009 4:22:47 PM EDT
what is the best scent blocker for deer (does and bucks)?

what is the best attractant for deer (does and bucks)?

and is ThermaCell good/bad?

does anyone use the laundry detergent, dryer sheets, deodorant or shampoo?  are they worth buying and using?

any and all opinions are welcome.  thanx
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 4:34:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
what is the best scent blocker for deer (does and bucks)?     Scent Killer brand.

what is the best attractant for deer (does and bucks)?  Depends on when/where you're hunting
and is ThermaCell good/bad?   Good

does anyone use the laundry detergent, dryer sheets, deodorant or shampoo?  are they worth buying and using?   I use the soap, laundry detergent, and scent free deodorant.  No dryer sheets and not enough hair for shampoo. Deffinately worth buying

Link Posted: 9/12/2009 5:31:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what is the best scent blocker for deer (does and bucks)? Scent Killer brand.

what is the best attractant for deer (does and bucks)? Depends on when/where you're hunting

and is ThermaCell good/bad? Good

does anyone use the laundry detergent, dryer sheets, deodorant or shampoo? are they worth buying and using? I use the soap, laundry detergent, and scent free deodorant. No dryer sheets and not enough hair for shampoo. Deffinately worth buying

any and all opinions are welcome. thanx

Listen to him.

Read the reviews on Thermacell.

www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_52165____SearchResults

I do believe they make a smell, but better than being eaten alive.

I use the dryer sheets, but not when drying my clothes.

I place a couple dryer sheets in a sealed bag with my clothes. they come out smelling like fresh dirt.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The wind in your face.

A vegetable garden in any suburban neighborhood.

If you're being vampired by mosquitos, it's great.

does anyone use the laundry detergent, dryer sheets, deodorant or shampoo?  are they worth buying and using?

I do...just in case.  But to be honest, when it comes to whitetail deer I think that far too much is made of scent-blocking products, most of which exist simply to create a market for themselves (ditto camoflage clothing patterns).  To be sure, you don't want to skew the odds against yourself anymore than is necessary by going into the woods smelling of Clorox or the bacon you had for breakfast.  But with deer I've found that if the wind is in your favor you're pretty much smell-invisible.  If it isn't, they're going to bust you.  The best that scent-elimination does for you is to prevent you from laying down too many obnoxious odors on the way in and out of your hunting area.  Positioning yourself with the breeze in your face will do more for you than any amount of Dr. Buck's Super-Duper Smell Eliminator.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 6:24:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The wind in your face.

A vegetable garden in any suburban neighborhood.

If you're being vampired by mosquitos, it's great.

I do...just in case.  But to be honest, when it comes to whitetail deer I think that far too much is made of scent-blocking products, most of which exist simply to create a market for themselves (ditto camoflage clothing patterns).  To be sure, you don't want to skew the odds against yourself anymore than is necessary by going into the woods smelling of Clorox or the bacon you had for breakfast.  But with deer I've found that if the wind is in your favor you're pretty much smell-invisible.  If it isn't, they're going to bust you.  The best that scent-elimination does for you is to prevent you from laying down too many obnoxious odors on the way in and out of your hunting area.  Positioning yourself with the breeze in your face will do more for you than any amount of Dr. Buck's Super-Duper Smell Eliminator.

+1.

I've never used sent reduction clothing or sprays.   I don't shoot over bait or other food attractants (not legal here in VA).  I do occasionally use sex attractant scents during the rut.  I shoot plenty of deer.  Watch the wind, set up properly with the wind, sit still, stay in the woods all day and you'll shoot deer.

Kind of reminds me of an old guy I knew that ran a country sporting goods store.  I asked him if some fishing lures were any good.  He reached over and grabbed a couple of other lures off the wall and said "These two here lures are all you need to catch fish"  I asked him why he carried all the other lures then.   He replied with a smile "Those are for catching fishermen."
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 6:25:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Mostly I use a commercial "no-scent" washing detergent, then spray my clothes down with attention to my socks, underwear, and Shirt around the armpits with scent-away. This seems to do well for me.
I have had very limited success with attractors of any kind, although the can calls from Primos has done a great job if I am on a property with high population of Bucks.
I do try to dress in my outer layer after I get to my hunting area.

I had a friend swear by using turpintine as a cover scent on his boots. He says that deer haven't smelled it before and therefore are not alarmed by it and may actually stop to smell it out of curiousity. I have used it before and have had deer cross my backtrail and never smell me, so could be true.

This will be my first year hunting after I have quit smoking, but in past years I have smoked in my stand and have had deer walk past right after I had put it out. Actually shot a doe one time and had to put out one I was smoking. I am really happy I quit, but that has shown me in the past that stand placement and wind direction is truly the biggest factor when dealing with scent.

Archery season started Saturday here for us so maybe I will have one soon.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 10:14:29 AM EDT
[#6]

I usually just leave the cloths I'll be wearing outside or in the garage for couple of days before I hunt.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 4:00:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Hang my coveralls in the rafters of the Heffer barn all year. They smell like cow shit something fierce but I hunt on a dairy farm so no problems
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 1:00:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

1) i use the HS Scent A Way

2) real piss. dad knew a guy that raised deer and he collect the urine (doe estrus, regular doe, buck all that) then a few years ago i noticed that stores around here are starting to sell real stuff.

3) ive used therma cell for turkey but i havnt ahd the need for it during deer hunting. it works great, just not sure if theres a smell or not

$)i just trow my cloths in the washer and dryer and wash em with just water. deodorant and shampoo is pointless IMO
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:09:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Best advice i can give you is to get a good set of rubber boots. Wearing leather boots or any boots that breath is like drawing a line in the woods the deer usually wont cross.

Scents work, but you have to use them at the right time and place. Same with calls. Buck Roar, True Talker, and a bleat can fills the spektrum nicely. All calls work better when theres a good buck to doe ratio...too many does and you might as well use a trombone.

Only 2 scent killers i use and like. The wildlife research brand, and primos silver xp, I use the latter almost exclusively now. Wont 100% eliminate your odor, but will make the deer think you are much farther away. Rub the deodorant on a stinky armpit and you'll be amazed.

If you are after bucks, I think the best method is to bait/food plot does to your area as much as possible, and hunt the rut. Bets attractant: corn with some molasses mixed in.

Thermacell works as long as there's no breeze.

Hope all that helps, works great for me!!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:42:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Wash your hunting clothes with baking soda as the detergent. Put them in a plastic bag when dry and drop some fresh cut cedar limbs in the bag.
Works as good as anything that costs lots of money.
Plain old vanilla extract works as a cover scent if you need one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top