Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2009 7:05:27 AM EDT
My son wants to start deer hunting.  We've got the land.  Got the gun.  Got the ability (debatable...).  But what do you do with the deer once you kill it?  Is there any way to learn the proper way to gut one without trial and error?

Thanks!

TC
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:13:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Good info on the same question in this recent thread:  Dressing deer\processing

Although bear in mind that a certain amount of trial and error is unavoidable whenever you're translating non-interactive instruction into real experience in the field.  But don't let that worry you.  Dressing deer is really not a technical challenge.  The most important thing is to be mindful of safe knife-handling procedures.  Slipping and slicing yourself open out in the woods can be a fatal mistake.  Even butchering it is not that difficult if you have a few tools (a couple of good knives, a sausage grinder and some butcher's paper) and a place to do it, though you might want to ease into things and take your first kill to a processor if you have a good one locally.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:20:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, Dan.  I do have a local processor in mind.  One step at a time. ;)

Also, what kind of knife/s do you recommend?

TC
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:42:54 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

My son wants to start deer hunting. We've got the land. Got the gun. Got the ability (debatable...). But what do you do with the deer once you kill it? Is there any way to learn the proper way to gut one without trial and error?

Thanks!

TC

Check out this link:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=23&t=626123

There are some good information in there. There are several videos on youtube.

There are also several books on the subject in bookstores. online, or possibly at your library.

As for which knife, just about any of them will work. Just make sure they are sharp.

I personally like a smaller (3-4 inch length blade). This knife has always been my favorite https://www.knifesupplycompany.com/152ot.html

Easier to work with and less chance of accidently poking/cutting something while field dressing. also less wieght in your pack.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

You could also post in the local forum to see about picking up a "mentor". Hunting is always best when shared with family and friends.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top