Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2008 10:41:26 AM EDT
hi everyone i just got a used horton supermag crossbow and need some advice . i got it second hand and dont know much about bow hunting deer . i think it needs a new string and i also need arrows for it . is there any other gear  i would need to start hunting with it in the fall .    
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 5:52:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Make sure of the crossbow regulations in your area.  In TX you can't use a crossbow during regular archery season unless you are handicapped - you have to use it during gun season.  I don't know what the rules are in OH.

As for other gear, are you already a hunter and just need to know about gear for the crossbow, or are you new to hunting?

In either case, I think you will want a sling or some way to carry it, if it doesn't already have one.

Link Posted: 5/26/2008 9:30:53 AM EDT
[#2]
i hunt a little already , so just about crossbow gear crossbow are good here all you need is alicense and deer permit
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 10:58:11 AM EDT
[#3]
A good target, and lots of practice. Other than that, a treestand, and if you're not good at ranging distance, you might want a rangefinder. Nothing sucks more than misjudging the distance on a nice buck by a few yards and having the arrow go right underneath him.
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 7:09:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Crossbow hunting is pretty much like archery hunting.  The crossbow gives you about 10-15 yards extra range over the compound bow, It allows you to hold the string back for a long period of time, it also makes more noise.

You do need to practice with your crossbow just like you do with a regular bow.  You need to know how to judge distances, or if you hunt in the same area put out some distance markers so you know how far away the deer are.

Make sure you bolts are the proper size and weight for your crossbow.

Get a lot of practice in, and do some practice with your broadheads, some of them fly different than field points.

and enjoy your hunt.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/vafish/11040002.jpg
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 3:34:36 AM EDT
[#5]
cool pic . yea iam taking thecrossbow to the local gander mountain and say throw the book at me
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 5:23:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Gander Mountain is gonna rape you.  If you are close to Ashland hit up fin fur and feather.  You may be better off finding a local archery shop.  Where are you at?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 12:27:00 PM EDT
[#7]
reynoldsburg eastside of cowlumbus yea youre right gandermtn is gonna have their way with me but who is better the devil you know or the devil you dont
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 8:32:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I agree with everything VaFish said with the exception of extended range.  

IMHO, expect about 10-15 yards less range.  

From a steady rest, with a multi-reticel scope, at a known distance, I cannot hit my 3-d target at 40 yards.  Flight is very erratic beyond 30 yards.  YMMV
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 3:13:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I agree with everything VaFish said with the exception of extended range.  

IMHO, expect about 10-15 yards less range.  

From a steady rest, with a multi-reticel scope, at a known distance, I cannot hit my 3-d target at 40 yards.  Flight is very erratic beyond 30 yards.  YMMV

The range is kinda tricky.  In a skilled archers hands, you can get much more range with a compound bow than a crossbow.  Go to youtube, you will see some guys doing amazing at 100 yards.

A crossbow is a more forgiving tool at close ranges, once you get out past 30 or 40 yards, consistency becomes a real problem.  The short bolts lose kinetic energy fast, espescially with the short power stroke.  

I believe it takes more time and practice with a regular bow than a crossbow to shoot similar groups.  I'm sure some will disagree, but that is what I've seen.

A good sight, bolts, and a backstop, and you'll be good to go.  

That said, I think crossbow hunting for archery season is a good thing.  A lot more guys can get out to hunt and enjoy the great outdoors and still make clean kills.  I personally hunt with both, depending on where and what I'm doing.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top