Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2022 6:35:06 PM EDT
Is there a good solution to monitoring different groups at the same time?   I am thinking about lightly used groups that probably won't collide too often.  Is there a common way to handle this, for example a TG from brandmeister, and another from TGIF, etc...
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 7:01:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Is there a good solution to monitoring different groups at the same time?   I am thinking about lightly used groups that probably won't collide too often.  Is there a common way to handle this, for example a TG from brandmeister, and another from TGIF, etc...
View Quote

For the BM and TGIF nets I don't think that is possible via a single pi-star and single radio.  Only whatever the TGIF selfcare screen would show as the talkgroup affiliated with your radio.

Through a normal DMR repeater you can listen to any active talkgroups without being tuned to one if you have a radio like an Alinco DR-MD500 or Anytone that can be set to monitor for all IDs, color codes and slots.  These radios have dual VFO so you can simultaneously monitor two different networks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 8:04:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I can't think of a way across networks. Depending on the radio, you can set up a scan list for all the talkgroups you want for one network. TGIF TG 777 will monitor all talk groups on TGIF or at least it used to. Maybe BM has something similar. Just be ready for chaos, lol.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 11:32:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can't think of a way across networks. Depending on the radio, you can set up a scan list for all the talkgroups you want for one network. TGIF TG 777 will monitor all talk groups on TGIF or at least it used to. Maybe BM has something similar. Just be ready for chaos, lol.
View Quote
I don't think 'all' would work well.  I know on both of those sites there are single TGs that run a constant stream of chit-chat.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 11:25:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Scan list is the answer for that.
A hotspot doesn't have the capacity to bring in more than 1 talkpath.  Fix for that is a pbx...
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 3:15:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Multiple hotspots and radios was my solution.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 3:20:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah I don't use a hotspot, and I only deal with Brandmeister TGs on local DMR repeaters, but yeah, I would say a rx group of whatever TGs you want to hear, and a scan list of said TGs, done.

Multiple radios may be the best route, as others have suggested.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 9:35:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Why wouldn't it work with a single radio and multiple VFO's? Couldn't you do two by just changing the color code for each of them on a common frequency? Would you overload the front end of one of the hotspots if you had two that were say 25khz apart?
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 1:29:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why wouldn't it work with a single radio and multiple VFO's? Couldn't you do two by just changing the color code for each of them on a common frequency? Would you overload the front end of one of the hotspots if you had two that were say 25khz apart?
View Quote
I am going to try to do something in the software side.  There is a DMRGateway out there, but am thinking about building one that can do multiple connections to BM, TGIF, and private TG servers.  Just need to handle collisions coming down the pipes, and routing the transmission back up the correct pipe.  I rebuilt my pi-star this morning from stock raspberian, and added the MMDVMHost package.  Will put the gateway in front of that and work out the details.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 11:51:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Here is an open source solution for Multi talkgroups, and private hosted TGs

https://github.com/carpaldolor/DMRServer

Attachment Attached File

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top