Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2022 12:11:10 AM EDT
I’m researching a project I want to do and I’m sure someone here has already done something similar and I’d like to ask for advice. I want to make a small portable power source to recharge my HT, cellphones, InReach, and possibly Yaesu FTM-400. I’ve been researching the project and watching YouTube videos. I know that I could buy a Jackery but that would be $500 and I building one I think will be fun. I realize that the Jackery or Goalzero will offer a more finished product with more power but at a greater price.

I plan to charge the battery both by  electricity and solar power. I found the video below and like the methods used but the video is in Malay! My main question is what battery? I want a battery under $100 to keep the cost down. I’m considering this one. Any advice you guys can offer is appreciated.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B7T8PSK?tag=arfcom00-20

SOLAR 02 | Portable Solar Power Bank | Camping | Emergency Backup Power
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 1:53:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I have only heard good reviews on this at a great price -
Miady Battery
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 9:39:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have only heard good reviews on this at a great price -
Miady Battery
View Quote

Thanks I’ll check that battery out.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 12:35:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's the solution I put together recently. Everything is plug and play for solar charging. I can charge my phone, laptop, radios, etc. off the battery and run my QRP HF radio directly from the battery. Might be outside your specified budget though - everything set me back about $340.

Renogy Battery

Allpowers 100w solar panel

Link Posted: 1/13/2022 8:57:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Pardon, but could you provide a link for the Renogy battery, specifically to the battery pictured and not just to renogy.com? I tried navigating the site and got a migraine for my troubles, and no results.

The solar layout looks very neat and professional, I only could wish for information to hook several of them together over time.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 11:05:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 8:48:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Here you go:

https://youtu.be/Nf9X4YIK9xA?list=PLKMrdrsNkFA4fowfI8elE33d7FOGpSkLc

Julian OH8STN walks you through a DIY battery build.  I've built it and it's well designed.

simpla_fi
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 2:52:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here you go:

https://youtu.be/Nf9X4YIK9xA?list=PLKMrdrsNkFA4fowfI8elE33d7FOGpSkLc

Julian OH8STN walks you through a DIY battery build.  I've built it and it's well designed.

simpla_fi
View Quote

Thanks. I’ll check it out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top