Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2022 5:55:23 PM EDT
I need a Raspberry Pi 3B board to complete a MMDVM project. If anyone knows where I can find one, please let me know.

I have a Raspberry Pi 3B+ board currently, but it runs a bit hot in the enclosure I am using.  I would like to replace my board for the cooler running Pi 3B board. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 7:11:48 PM EDT
[#1]
New? Price range?
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 7:15:39 PM EDT
[#2]
3s suck. Try to find a 4B.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 8:00:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Does it already have a fan?
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 11:09:52 PM EDT
[#4]

The Raspberry Pi 3B runs about cooler 5 to 7 degrees cooler than the Pi 3B+ board when enclosed in a C4 Labs acrylic case with a 3.5" Nextion screen and MMDVM hat. There is no provision to mount a fan or need for a faster processor for the MMDVM hotspot. The acrylic case and lack of ventilation makes this MMDVM setup run a bit hotter than the other hotspot I've built uing the Pi 3B board. The global chip shortage has made Raspberry Pi Boards unobtanium at any reasonable price.

C4 Labs Nextion Case
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 8:27:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted: The global chip shortage has made Raspberry Pi Boards unobtanium at any reasonable price.
View Quote
Yeah, it's a huge PITA. I wanted a Zero W for my recent genmon build and was damn lucky to find Zero 2 W at the normal price, after a week of searching for one.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 2:01:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Thankfully a local ARFCOM  ham has a Raspberry Pi 3B he is willing to trade with me. Life is good!
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 4:23:15 PM EDT
[#7]
A dremel can fix any ventilation problem.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 4:36:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I use a lot of 3B+ for projects and the level of unobtainium is to the point where the last one I bought was $120, and I can't even get them at that price now from that supplier.

That seller, Viaboot, claims to have 3B for sale for $150 if you're that desperate, but I'd confirm it's not a 3B+ with them.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a CanaKit 3B+ I'd be willing to reflash as half of a larger face-to-face (items too large to ship) sale. I've gotten too annoyed with resetting all my security every time I attempt a new project/distro.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 5:55:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 6:31:35 PM EDT
[#11]
If heat was a concern for the Pi I'm using to feed adsbexchange I'd just put some more holes in the case and glue this on.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/628750/raspberry-pi-case-fan-sc0448?src=raspberrypi
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 7:49:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yeah, it's a huge PITA. I wanted a Zero W for my recent genmon build and was damn lucky to find Zero 2 W at the normal price, after a week of searching for one.
View Quote

I didn't know about the Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W release. It's supposed to be 5 times faster than the original Pi Zero. That would really make for a snappy MMDVM hotspot.

Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 9:29:06 AM EDT
[#13]
It's probably a great solution for an ADS-B receiver, too. If you took the shell off of an RTL you could make a very tiny one.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 7:18:59 PM EDT
[#14]
rpi's are unobtainium now.

Here is a sugar free (no pi) variant I wanted to try based on a ftdi board and 4 jumpers to the mmdvm (gnd, 3.3v, tx, rx). Need to set the 3.3v jumper on the ftdi.

I downloaded MMDVMHost from the github and built and ran on my linux pc.  Need to configure MMDVM.ini

It works fine. Its probably the cheapest mmvdm option if you have a linux pc around. $25 for the mmdvm and $5 for the ftdi.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/25/2022 1:27:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Pi Zero 2 W in stock

I ordered a Raspberry Pi Zero 2W from PiShop.us,  as they showed it was in stock. Fingers crossed.

I want to see if it's really 5x faster than the original Pi Zero.

One more vendor that has the Pi Zero W 2 in stock.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 4:32:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Pi Zero 2 W in stock

I ordered a Raspberry Pi Zero 2W from PiShop.us,  as they showed it was in stock. Fingers crossed.

I want to see if it's really 5x faster than the original Pi Zero.
View Quote

Thanks for spending my money, again.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 4:47:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Here is a sugar free (no pi) variant I wanted to try based on a ftdi board and 4 jumpers to the mmdvm (gnd, 3.3v, tx, rx). Need to set the 3.3v jumper on the ftdi.

I downloaded MMDVMHost from the github and built and ran on my linux pc.  Need to configure MMDVM.ini

It works fine. Its probably the cheapest mmvdm option if you have a linux pc around. $25 for the mmdvm and $5 for the ftdi.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/322769/mm-small_jpg-2253256.JPG
View Quote

That's tempting.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 6:37:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thanks for spending my money, again.
View Quote

As always...you're welcome.

Another vendor that has the Pi Zero 2 W in stock.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 8:13:18 AM EDT
[#19]
I really like the Zero 2 W. Not ham radio, but here is a genmon build I recently completed:

Attachment Attached File

More detail on my build can be found here.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 12:18:08 PM EDT
[#20]
The PiShop sent me a tracking number, so the Raspberry Pi Zero W2's were actually in stock.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 12:10:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Mine shipped 1/25 and still has not arrived. It has been sitting in Memphis for the last week.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 1:54:46 PM EDT
[#22]
I got one from MakerBright last week, bought another mmdvm from ebay and she's up and running.  I am going to try the vehicle option with phone based wifi for kicks.  I talked to a few folks doing that on a state TG a few months back.

I have moved away from the pi-star image and now run on a bone stock raspberian OS with MMDVMHost added.  It was pretty straight forward once I got more comfortable with the MMDVM.ini file settings.  I don't really like the pre-packaged image products, since you just don't know what is all packed in there.  The pi-star image also has the weird read-only file system that made it harder to customize the software on the pi.  But I have given up the nice dashboard and config UI in exchange for .ini file config via ssh.

Link Posted: 2/9/2022 10:09:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I got one from MakerBright last week, bought another mmdvm from ebay and she's up and running.  I am going to try the vehicle option with phone based wifi for kicks.  I talked to a few folks doing that on a state TG a few months back.

I have moved away from the pi-star image and now run on a bone stock raspberian OS with MMDVMHost added.  It was pretty straight forward once I got more comfortable with the MMDVM.ini file settings.  I don't really like the pre-packaged image products, since you just don't know what is all packed in there.  The pi-star image also has the weird read-only file system that made it harder to customize the software on the pi.  But I have given up the nice dashboard and config UI in exchange for .ini file config via ssh.

View Quote

Pi-Star is intended for the masses and thankfully it's been very well supported over the years. I'm happy you were able to get a few more new Pi boards and are having fun with them. My Dad is on hospice and between work and travelling to see him I haven't been able experiment much.  Sleep deprivation and exhaustion are kicking my butt.

I would like to try see if I can configure one of my Pi's just as you have, but sadly time is not on my side for the foreseable future. I will say the new Pi Zero 2 W is amazing and is certainly much faster than the original Pi Zero. I still need to get with the ARFCOM ham that has the Pi 3B board to do the board swap with me, but I am too short on time to make the trip.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 2:33:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Mine arrived today after spending 13 days in Memphis.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 11:50:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/322769/mm-small_jpg-2253256.JPG

View Quote

Go on..
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 7:05:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Go on..
View Quote
Go on what?  Use the words.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top