Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

POTA - Parks On The Air (Page 1 of 55)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 55
Posted: 6/13/2021 4:15:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat]
I'll be activating a park off and on through Tuesday. If there's any interest, I'll post the frequencies and y'all can hung if ya want.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 4:16:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm at work 2 to midnight until Tuesday but I try to at least poke around the dial in the mornings.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 4:20:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Will you be operating CW?
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 4:22:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Ape shall not kill ape.

Oh, wait, wrong pota.

Carry on and 73!
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 4:26:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Frank_B:
Will you be operating CW?
View Quote
Not yet, soon tho
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 4:26:34 PM EDT
[#5]
14.316 for a bit
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 7:39:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll give it a try. What times are you thinking?

Link Posted: 6/14/2021 8:21:45 PM EDT
[#7]
What's the deal? I mean I get that you go to a park and all, but do you have needs or requirements from who you have a QSO with? Is it supposed to be another park?
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 8:23:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Emoto:
What's the deal? I mean I get that you go to a park and all, but do you have needs or requirements from who you have a QSO with? Is it supposed to be another park?
View Quote
Nope, your goal is to "activate" the park, which only requires making 10 unique QSOs.  It's pretty informal overall, self spotting is allowed and if you do that, it's very rare you won't get that 10 at least.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 9:23:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
Nope, your goal is to "activate" the park, which only requires making 10 unique QSOs.  It's pretty informal overall, self spotting is allowed and if you do that, it's very rare you won't get that 10 at least.
View Quote

Ok, cool. Then me making a QSO helps those guys. Good. I keep stumbling across them, but haven't wanted to interfere.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 11:00:52 PM EDT
[#10]

I've been having a lot of fun with POTA recently

as an activator and hunter.

https://parksontheair.com/

Link Posted: 6/14/2021 11:16:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Ok, cool. Then me making a QSO helps those guys. Good. I keep stumbling across them, but haven't wanted to interfere.
View Quote
Yep, answer their call if you hear them.  It's usually just a brief signal report exchange and not much chat as they might have a little pileup or are trying to work as many stations as they can in limited time.  You also don't need to send in any type of log of the contacts as a "hunter", the only log submissions are done by activators in the parks.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 11:22:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Derek45:

https://i.imgur.com/FeehYuy.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/eDNqP4j.jpg
View Quote
I try to get to a park almost every weekend, this past year especially with so much free time.  I think it's a great activity for hams new to HF, both hunting and activating, because it's a good, informal way to get on the radio and start making some quick contacts and get past the mic shyness.

Working from the truck is a last resort here, half the fun for me is finding nice places to setup and just enjoy the day for a while outside.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/15/2021 12:10:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat] [#13]

View Quote
None whatsoever! By all means answer the CQ. You can register if you want and get credit for your "hunter" QSOs. Bragging rights is all really.

There are park to park QSOs which are noted as such in the logs. But otherwise it's just signal reports, call signs, time and states/country. All that's truly required are call signs and times. It's super short. I don't mind chatting a min or so if it's slow. But sometimes it's a pile up. But we will get a lot of older hams who dont know what POTA they want to rag chew. It's funny when that happens.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 12:12:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Finished out my trip with 299 QSOs across 20, 40 and 80 and probably 4 hrs total air time over the two days. It was a good run. Now I have to log them .
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 12:56:49 PM EDT
[#15]
The support over there is less than supportive.
I made an account after getting my ticket, then after getting my vanity call I logged in through google (apparently) and it now has my vanity call locked down. They seem to think its not a problem but I feel dumb spotting and communicating with an expired callsign as my display name since I cannot obtain my own since they don't seem to want to merge my accounts.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 4:03:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat] [#16]
Originally Posted By sseagle:
The support over there is less than supportive.
I made an account after getting my ticket, then after getting my vanity call I logged in through google (apparently) and it now has my vanity call locked down. They seem to think its not a problem but I feel dumb spotting and communicating with an expired callsign as my display name since I cannot obtain my own since they don't seem to want to merge my accounts.
View Quote
That's strange. I wonder why? They merged mine just fine. All I did was log into my account and change the call sign to my new one.

They updated the software so maybe try again? I know the old one was less than stellar. You're also not the only one I've heard complain about their "customer" support. A guy I know was all but called dumb by one of their volunteers. I mean the volunteer isn't totally wrong but still.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 9:12:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ManiacRat461:
That's strange. I wonder why? They merged mine just fine. All I did was log into my account and change the call sign to my new one.

They updated the software so maybe try again? I know the old one was less than stellar. You're also not the only one I've heard complain about their "customer" support. A guy I know was all but called dumb by one of their volunteers. I mean the volunteer isn't totally wrong but still.
View Quote

Apparently logging in via my google account made an account that took my current callsign, even though my POTA account has it listed in the callsigns... Yeah I think the guy I have been communicating with is the head cheese over there, I think he needs a hug.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 2:56:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By sseagle:

Apparently logging in via my google account made an account that took my current callsign, even though my POTA account has it listed in the callsigns... Yeah I think the guy I have been communicating with is the head cheese over there, I think he needs a hug.
View Quote
Yeah I've seen Facebook posts by him. Not the nicest dude in the world. I think they ended up creating a monster of sorts with POTA. It grew very fast and very large.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 7:14:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Wife and I just took a road trip and did another activation.

She really enjoys logging

we are having a lot of fun.

My trusty old TS-480 is a great radio.

Link Posted: 6/19/2021 10:06:23 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote
Awesome! A guy I know has mobile HF and activates constantly. He's also got a job where he has tons of flexibility too.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 9:31:18 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

Good stuff

So many ways to have fun with POTA!

I enjoy doing hike and kayak-in activations with the kx2.
I’ve also done picnic table portable with my backpack setup.  
And when it’s colder than hell here, I just sit in the pickup and use the 857 with the Tarheel.

I’ve seen pics of guys that operate outside of their RV with an amp.  Not my thing but it’s sure easy to hear them
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 1:34:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Awesome! A guy I know has mobile HF and activates constantly. He's also got a job where he has tons of flexibility too.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/22/2021 2:22:23 PM EDT
[#23]
I activated my first park yesterday! K-4447. It’s a lot more difficult in Alaska, but I hope to do some parks that neva been dun befo
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 1:31:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I might have to look into this a little more.  I noticed that there are two POTA sites in my immediate vicinity, and one not too far away, that are listed as Attempts = 0, Activations = 0, and the closest one is listed as 3 attempts with 0 activations.   Hmmmm.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 5:02:59 PM EDT
[#25]
I had my first failed activation last weekend

Wife wanted to go to one of our favorite parks

I figured some hams might want a break from the field day madness and setup on 17meters

i was wrong as lipstick on a dog

we called for 45mins and got 2 locals

it doesn’t matter much, we will be back another day

Link Posted: 6/29/2021 7:03:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By tyrex13:
I activated my first park yesterday! K-4447. It's a lot more difficult in Alaska, but I hope to do some parks that neva been dun befo
View Quote
If you can get the signal out, they'll come to you for Alaska. It's one of the harder ones to get.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 8:31:09 PM EDT
[#27]
If you can get the signal out, they'll come to you for Alaska. It's one of the harder ones to get.
View Quote

I’m going to try Kenai fjords National park Saturday. It’s never been activated
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 8:52:21 PM EDT
[#28]

I'm going to try Kenai fjords National park Saturday. It's never been activated
View Quote
Well if you aren't QRP, I'll give it a go. I need Alaska. Shoot me your call and I'll watch the spot page for you.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 9:26:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Well if you aren't QRP, I'll give it a go. I need Alaska. Shoot me your call and I'll watch the spot page for you.
View Quote

Sounds good, I'll see how the weather is. I'll be running 100w
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 10:10:08 PM EDT
[#30]

Sounds good, I'll see how the weather is. I'll be running 100w
View Quote

Shoot, I'll try for it, too, if you post about it. I picked up an Alaska QSO the other day, but I am not sure he is the type to confirm.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 10:31:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat] [#31]

Shoot, I'll try for it, too, if you post about it. I picked up an Alaska QSO the other day, but I am not sure he is the type to confirm.
View Quote
POTA.app is the spot page for POTA if you ever want to make some easy QSO. Most will confirm on QRZ/LOTW so on. Sometimes they're on DXWatch and DXSummit too.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 7:19:57 AM EDT
[#32]
POTA.app is the spot page for POTA if you ever want to make some easy QSO. Most will confirm on QRZ/LOTW so on. Sometimes they're on DXWatch and DXSummit too.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 11:45:23 PM EDT
[#33]
I try to get to a park almost every weekend, this past year especially with so much free time.  I think it's a great activity for hams new to HF, both hunting and activating, because it's a good, informal way to get on the radio and start making some quick contacts and get past the mic shyness.

Working from the truck is a last resort here, half the fun for me is finding nice places to setup and just enjoy the day for a while outside.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/157876/2021-05-02_15_30_09_jpg-1979076.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/FeehYuy.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/eDNqP4j.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/157876/2021-05-02_15_30_09_jpg-1979076.JPG

I put that antenna on a truckers Cb mirror mount and then on a big aluminum stake and sink the stake into damp sand

and use no radials, makes the sea water a perfect ground plane and much quicker to setup
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 11:49:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Field day saturday morning after we set up while waiting for 1800Z I activated the park we were camping in, first ever for me and I got several park to park QSOs
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 12:11:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Mach:
Field day saturday morning after we set up while waiting for 1800Z I activated the park we were camping in, first ever for me and I got several park to park QSOs
View Quote
Excellent! What did you think?
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 1:25:18 AM EDT
[#36]
I’ll be attempting K-0045 tomorrow for about 6 hours on 20M SSB. It’s never been activated before.

I won’t have service, so a spot would be appreciated. TIA
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 7:37:28 AM EDT
[#37]
I’ll be attempting K-0045 tomorrow for about 6 hours on 20M SSB. It’s never been activated before.

I won’t have service, so a spot would be appreciated. TIA
View Quote

Can you post the frequency when you're on, so we can find you?
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 11:18:52 AM EDT
[#38]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mach:

somebody spotted me someplace and i instantly had a huge pileup. First time I had a pileup, I usually just answer CQs
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 12:04:46 PM EDT
[#39]

Can you post the frequency when you're on, so we can find you?
View Quote

I won’t be able to. No service there. I’ll try 14.289 and try to stay in between 14.280 and 300
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 12:06:05 PM EDT
[#40]

I won’t be able to. No service there. I’ll try 14.289 and try to stay in between 14.280 and 300
View Quote

Any clue about what time (UTC) you will be on?
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 1:11:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Weather is a go. I’m loading up now. Hope to be on in the next couple of hours and plan to try until the end of the UTC day
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 1:19:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Weather is a go. I’m loading up now. Hope to be on in the next couple of hours and plan to try until the end of the UTC day
View Quote

It is supposed to rain all day here, so I don't know what the propagation will be like.
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 2:14:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Weather is a go. I'm loading up now. Hope to be on in the next couple of hours and plan to try until the end of the UTC day
View Quote
I'll listen for ya. Spot too if I can hear you.
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 7:27:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Spinning around but can't hear you. Nothing on the waterfall either.
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 9:10:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Spinning around but can't hear you. Nothing on the waterfall either.
View Quote

Me either. Sorry.
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 9:49:41 PM EDT
[#46]

Me either. Sorry.
View Quote
You should go activate a park in Massachusetts those New England states are hard to get.
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 9:59:38 PM EDT
[#47]
You should go activate a park in Massachusetts those New England states are hard to get.
View All Quotes

Me either. Sorry.

Not mobile capable at this time.
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 10:08:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat] [#48]

Not mobile capable at this time.
View Quote
Ah ok.

Those guys who go up there or live there and activate usually get a pile up. I've got hundreds of POTA contacts. But only a handful in New England. I finally got New Hampshire today. Still no Mass.
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 10:15:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tyrex13] [#49]
I was only able to work 5 stations in 5 hours, but one was Svalbard, so that was cool.

Link Posted: 7/3/2021 10:29:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Awesome!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 55
POTA - Parks On The Air (Page 1 of 55)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top