BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 5:43:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry, I am new at all of this. What is VFO stepping? If that means how far the tuning changes for each little movement of the tuning knob, tap the touch screen on the number you wish it to move by.

So, if you are on 14.235 and you tap the 3, it will move by .01 each time. Tap the 5, and it will move by .001, and so forth. Apologies if that is not what you meant.
View Quote

I didn't know that!

I have been doing 1 Mhz at a time or 0.001 Mhz at a time for 4 years!
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 7:53:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yes, on my old Icom, it had a button for setting the VFO steps, 1.00, 0.10, 0.01, etc.

The speed of the VFO, normally called stepping.

Okay, this keypad with numbers is on the touch screen?

With, "tap" I take it, it is the touch screen display.

I'll search for it now.

Thanks, :).

Oh, I see now!

Tap the numbers of the frequency display.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes, on my old Icom, it had a button for setting the VFO steps, 1.00, 0.10, 0.01, etc.

I'll search for it now.

Oh, I see now!

Yes! Much more concise than how I said it.

Quoted:
I didn't know that!

Oh, man!!!

Glad I could shed some light!
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 11:52:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Oh, man!!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll search for it now.

Oh, I see now!

Quoted:
I didn't know that!

Oh, man!!!

I've had touch screen PC's for 20 years, but I've never used a smart phone.

I wasn't that familiar with term, "tap" for, "touch." :)

A couple of weeks ago I was in a hardware store and tried to use the chip reader in the credit card reader and it didn't work.

The girl at the cash register said that with their card reader a, "tap" often works better than the chip reader slot.

I had know idea what she was talking about until she showed me.

I'll have to catch up with tapping phones and tapping cards, but I've never thought of that term for touching touch screen displays. :)
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 8:22:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

A couple of weeks ago I was in a hardware store and tried to use the chip reader in the credit card reader and it didn't work.

The girl at the cash register said that with their card reader a, "tap" often works better than the chip reader slot.

I'll have to catch up with tapping phones and tapping cards, but I've never thought of that term for touching touch screen displays. :)
View Quote

The 7300 is loaded with features. I am sure that I will never use most of them.

For you, or anyone interested in the 7300, this guy "Ham Cured Smoke" did an excellent series of videos exploring all the features: (link to his youtube IC-7300 playlist) https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL48JZWhCJoH3bGOyfmZVxgRHFqs2VUG8P
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 12:01:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

In modern usage these terms have slightly different flavors, though you may not find these in websters (or maybe you will, i haven't looked)

"Tap" =  a quick press and release.  a "knock" or 'bounce' against the screen.

"Press" generally means "touch and hold" against the screen where you maintain solid contact for a beat or two until the symbology on the screen indicates the command is registered.

"hard press" means the same as the above but pushing harder against the screen.  Sometimes surprisingly hard.

Whereas the term "touch" is ambiguous and can depend on context.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 7:19:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I found out how to to speed up the VFO stepping.

Instead of choosing an amateur band, choosing General Coverage will result in faster VFO tuning, even across the amateur bands.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 7:36:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sorry, I am new at all of this. What is VFO stepping? If that means how far the tuning changes for each little movement of the tuning knob, tap the touch screen on the number you wish it to move by.

So, if you are on 14.235 and you tap the 3, it will move by .01 each time. Tap the 5, and it will move by .001, and so forth. Apologies if that is not what you meant.
View Quote

I found the instructions on setting VFO (tuning) stepping on page 3-3 of the Basic Manual and the next page explain there is another quick setting to slow the VFO by 1/4 speed for fine tuning when the stepping is set faster than desired for tuning.

Here is page 3-4 referring to what, "Tuning Step" is.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1106166/Icom-Ic-7300.html?page=26

The older Icoms have a, "Step" button, rather than a program setting.

Link Posted: 11/13/2021 8:08:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I found the instructions on setting VFO (tuning) stepping on page 3-3 of the Basic Manual and the next page explain there is another quick setting to slow the VFO by 1/4 speed for fine tuning when the stepping is set faster than desired for tuning.

Here is page 3-4 referring to what, "Tuning Step" is.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1106166/Icom-Ic-7300.html?page=26

The older Icoms have a, "Step" button, rather than a program setting.
View Quote

Ah! Good stuff! I didn't know you could also select the size of the step from a little menu. Very cool.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 10:01:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

In modern usage these terms have slightly different flavors, though you may not find these in websters (or maybe you will, i haven't looked)

"Press" generally means "touch and hold" against the screen where you maintain solid contact for a beat or two until the symbology on the screen indicates the command is registered.

"hard press" means the same as the above but pushing harder against the screen.  Sometimes surprisingly hard.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well the Icom manual still uses the term, "touch" for touch screen instructions, so must not be too much out of date.

I think tap is generally related to smart phones, which I've never used.

I see credit card readers now indicate a tap function which isn't even touching, but just passing the card over reader works.

Then there some term, "swipe" which I don't think I've used.

My touch screen computer monitors have a few years on them and may not have Apple features and terms on them.
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 2:49:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I just received an RX7300 receiver antenna adapter I ordered.

I saw that INRAD had them listed as discontinued and the only place with them in stock is Ham Radio Outlet.

It looks like a clone copy and not by INRAD.

It has no name and no instructions and a slightly different look from the INRAD product.

It does look like it does exactly the same thing and instructional videos for the INRAD RX7300 should work for it.

The outside jumper ends don't have insulating boots on them, but there is an extra piece in the package that looks like hard plastic that if cut in half could have been used as boots, but the jumper ends are already assembled, so it can't be fitted.
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 3:30:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just received an RX7300 receiver antenna adapter I ordered.

I saw that INRAD had them listed as discontinued and the only place with them in stock is Ham Radio Outlet.

It looks like a clone copy and not by INRAD.

It has no name and no instructions and a slightly different look from the INRAD product.

It does look like it does exactly the same thing and instructional videos for the INRAD RX7300 should work for it.

The outside jumper ends don't have insulating boots on them, but there is an extra piece in the package that looks like hard plastic that if cut in half could have been used as boots, but the jumper ends are already assembled, so it can't be fitted.
View Quote

Here is the text from DC Engineering from their Inrad rx7300 page. Note the warning about using some kind of limiter:

INRAD RX7300 Receive Only Input Modification Kits allow you to add a receive antenna jack to the Icom IC-7300! This mod makes a game-changing radio even better!

INRAD's easy to install plug-in modification requires no soldering and is effortlessly installed and easily reversible. RX7300 kits may also be used for the insertion of accessory items into the receiver chain on the IC-7300; like receive only band-pass filters, low-noise preamps and so on.

Once the kit is installed, the IC-7300 transceiver will transmit using the existing SO-239 connector and receive through one of the two RX7300 RCA phono jacks. To use the transceiver in its original configuration, leave the provided RG-174 coax loop installed in the receive path (connected between both RCA jacks).

Below is a note from the INRAD RX7300 manual:

"Please note that large transmit signals, even possibly your own, have the capability to damage a transceiver. The receive input on the Icom 7300 is diode protected, but we also recommend the use of a front-end protection circuit in between the receive antenna jack and your external receive-only antenna, especially if you employ the use of a linear amplifier. This is also true in a situation like a multi-transmitter contest station where other stations may be transmitting with high power while you are receiving. In these types of situations, we recommend the use of a front-end limiter or RX protection between the receive antenna jack and the receive antenna itself."

The above statement is true of ANY receiver or transceiver operated in a large-signal environment. DX Engineering recommends the use of our RG5000HD Receiver Guard Electronic RF Limiters to satisfy the need for front-end protection.

These INRAD RX7300 Input Modification Kits from DX Engineering require only a very slight amount of work to install but offer huge benefits for Contesters, DXers and those interested in serious weak-signal work!
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 8:45:17 PM EDT
[#12]
The piece that looks like hard plastic, might be a ferrite RF choke.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 9:58:04 AM EDT
[#13]
I have something similiar installed in my 7300 that I use to go to a Kiwi SDR. I have no limiter and it appears to be fine. I think it attaches to the IF stage and uses the antenna that is connected to the radio.

It comes out of the radio, goes to a spliter. 1 cable gos to the SDR and the other cable goes back to the radio.

It was custom made by my son.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:01:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Thread is relevant to my interests.

Some older gear needs sold off first, but an IC-7300, 9700 and a loaded R-8600 are going on the home office desk when all is said and done.

Just wish Icom would put 220Mhz TRX in something...like they did with the IC-375.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 7:12:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Icom has released a new piece of Windows software.

"The ST-4003W is Windows software, which allows you to set the radio's time from your PC's time by connecting the radio to the PC."

https://www.icomjapan.com/support/firmware_driver/3428/
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 2:55:08 PM EDT
[#16]
This is a video about adjusting output power via the service menus. Not sure how I feel about it.
Ic 7300 SSB power adjustment. No soldering, service menu adjustment mod
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 4:05:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This is a video about adjusting output power via the service menus. Not sure how I feel about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaYi-tF_ANo
View Quote

I would not touch that without a very accurate power meter
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 6:44:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is the type of advice you get when people only do the parts that they can understand and ignore the rest of the instructions.  The service manual clearly shows that, in addition to a power meter on the RF output, an audio generator with a millivolt meter in parallel is to be connected to the mic input and set to 1.5 kHz @ 30 mVrms so that the signal is constant and at the proper level.  The way he is doing it there is NO signal present unless he has a mic connected and it's picking up ambient audio.
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 9:17:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaYi-tF_ANo
View Quote

Don’t screw with that…buy a signal with a better antenna or amplifier.
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 2:02:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This is the type of advice you get when people only do the parts that they can understand and ignore the rest of the instructions.  The service manual clearly shows that, in addition to a power meter on the RF output, an audio generator with a millivolt meter in parallel is to be connected to the mic input and set to 1.5 kHz @ 30 mVrms so that the signal is constant and at the proper level.  The way he is doing it there is NO signal present unless he has a mic connected and it's picking up ambient audio.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes it does. I assumed just about any signal generator and mV meter would be fairly accurate but power meters  are a whole different accuracy animal. People may think they can use their $100  MFJ power meter that us +-20%

I didnt pay much attention the the video because I had already looked at the instructions a while back thinking of increasing the power out during the tune cycle and have access to a decent signal generator but not a highly accurate power meter and decided no way would I do that with any of the power meters I have.

How did that guy do the procedure without a signal generator?
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 8:18:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

yes it does. I assumed just about any signal generator and mV meter would be fairly accurate but power meters  are a whole different accuracy animal. People may think they can use their $100  MFJ power meter that us +-20%

I didnt pay much attention the the video because I had already looked at the instructions a while back thinking of increasing the power out during the tune cycle and have access to a decent signal generator but not a highly accurate power meter and decided no way would I do that with any of the power meters I have.

View Quote

I don't know.  I watched the video and he never made mention of hooking up a signal generator.  As I recall he said that all he did was plug some headphones into the remote jack as a shunt, booted the radio in service mode, and went to twisting the knob.  My GUESS is that he left his mic attached.  It is providing a signal of the ambient noise all the time, it just doesn't transmit it unless the PTT is pressed.  That would provide a probably very low amplitude signal for the adjustment.  If so his adjustment is probably WAY off.
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 11:57:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I don't know.  I watched the video and he never made mention of hooking up a signal generator.  As I recall he said that all he did was plug some headphones into the remote jack as a shunt, booted the radio in service mode, and went to twisting the knob.  My GUESS is that he left his mic attached.  It is providing a signal of the ambient noise all the time, it just doesn't transmit it unless the PTT is pressed.  That would provide a probably very low amplitude signal for the adjustment.  If so his adjustment is probably WAY off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

good way to toast the finals
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 12:11:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

good way to toast the finals
View Quote

You got that right!

Edit ... I just watched the first part of the video again and he DOES have a mic plugged in.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 4:48:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The 7300 is loaded with features. I am sure that I will never use most of them.

For you, or anyone interested in the 7300, this guy "Ham Cured Smoke" did an excellent series of videos exploring all the features: (link to his youtube IC-7300 playlist) https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL48JZWhCJoH3bGOyfmZVxgRHFqs2VUG8P
View Quote

Ham Cured Smoke changed his name, but kept up his videos:

Ham Radio A2Z
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 7:57:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Ham Radio A2Z
View Quote

Great videos for the new 7300 owner!  I wish he'd kept the Ham Cured Smoke name.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 8:42:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Great videos for the new 7300 owner!  I wish he'd kept the Ham Cured Smoke name.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ham Radio A2Z

Me too. Even after using my radio for 8 months, I like to go back and watch one of his videos now and then. I always pick up something that I didn't get the first time through.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Me too. Even after using my radio for 8 months, I like to go back and watch one of his videos now and then. I always pick up something that I didn't get the first time through.
View Quote
I don't even open the manual; I just find the relevant video and watch it again.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 1:17:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Extremely frustrated trying to upgrade the firmware to either 1.40 or 1.41, even though I had no trouble upgrading it to 1.30 maybe a year ago.

I go through the steps with the SD card firmware update all the way to the yellow screen with the scary warning messages, scroll down to tap the YES button, whereupon it then displays the second yellow screen that asks if you really want to go ahead and update the firmware.

That’s where I get stuck - I tap the YES button, but instead of popping up the progress window it just sits there as if it didn’t get my YES tap.

I’ve been through the process several times, but it refuses to go beyond that point.

I’ve even tried a different SD card (which I had formatted within the 7300 and then unmounted it to take it to my PC where I downloaded and unzipped the new firmware and copied to the SD card, ejected the SD card from Windows and inserted it into the 7300, but it still gets stuck at the same spot.

The SD card menu does find the firmware image(s) on the card, but no matter whether I choose 1.40 or 1.41 I can not get it to accept the tap on YES to proceed.

I have even gone as far as doing a reset all, but no change in behavior was seen. Power has been turned off and on again (I am going to try also removing the power after turning it off, then reapplying power and then turning it on, which I have not yet tried).

Anyone else see or hear of such a problem occurring, and if so, a solution other than attacking the radio with a sledgehammer and then taking up a less stressful hobby (such as juggling razor blades with my eyes closed)?

Link Posted: 1/16/2022 1:27:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Have you tried holding the Yes button on the second screen instead of just tapping it?  I don't recall if that's necessary, but you might try.  It's been a while since I did the upgrade.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 1:31:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Have you tried holding the Yes button on the second screen instead of just tapping it?  I don't recall if that's necessary, but you might try.  It's been a while since I did the upgrade.
View Quote

I have, but maybe not long enough - it’s worth a try…

Link Posted: 1/16/2022 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Extremely frustrated trying to upgrade the firmware to either 1.40 or 1.41, even though I had no trouble upgrading it to 1.30 maybe a year ago.

I go through the steps with the SD card firmware update all the way to the yellow screen with the scary warning messages, scroll down to tap the YES button, whereupon it then displays the second yellow screen that asks if you really want to go ahead and update the firmware.

That’s where I get stuck - I tap the YES button, but instead of popping up the progress window it just sits there as if it didn’t get my YES tap.

I’ve been through the process several times, but it refuses to go beyond that point.

I’ve even tried a different SD card (which I had formatted within the 7300 and then unmounted it to take it to my PC where I downloaded and unzipped the new firmware and copied to the SD card, ejected the SD card from Windows and inserted it into the 7300, but it still gets stuck at the same spot.

The SD card menu does find the firmware image(s) on the card, but no matter whether I choose 1.40 or 1.41 I can not get it to accept the tap on YES to proceed.

I have even gone as far as doing a reset all, but no change in behavior was seen. Power has been turned off and on again (I am going to try also removing the power after turning it off, then reapplying power and then turning it on, which I have not yet tried).

Anyone else see or hear of such a problem occurring, and if so, a solution other than attacking the radio with a sledgehammer and then taking up a less stressful hobby (such as juggling razor blades with my eyes closed)?
View Quote

I have not seen this mentioned in any of the Ham groups I am in. I will ask over on the FB IC-7300 group, and see what they say. I'll copy your post, if you don't object(?)

One thought I have is perhaps there is something wrong with the firmware file you are trying to upload. Maybe grab a new copy of the file and try that?

ETA1: Someone replied and said you have to hold the YES for 2 seconds.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 1:42:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I have not seen this mentioned in any of the Ham groups I am in. I will ask over on the FB IC-7300 group, and see what they say. I'll copy your post, if you don't object(?)

One thought I have is perhaps there is something wrong with the firmware file you are trying to upload. Maybe grab a new copy of the file and try that?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks - I will try holding it down longer this time…

(Wondering if the earlier report of FT-8 problems with 1.41 was a fluke or whether it is a widespread problem)

Yes, holding it down even longer did the trick, thanks!

Next challenge will be figuring out why I can’t get the FT-8 receive audio level (with USB audio, Windows 7) out of the red area and into the green… I think I’m adjusting the proper driver audio level.)

ETA: found that the USB audio setting under connectors menu was too high so I dropped it back and finally started getting some decodes.

Next up: work on transmit settings (done: and then figure out why Windows 7 that I just upgraded old thinkpad to keeps logging me out by itself (just some win 7 idiocy that was easily corrected) If it’s not one problem then it’s another, sigh…)

Link Posted: 1/16/2022 1:53:38 PM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 1/16/2022 2:23:41 PM EDT
[#34]
I just found out about this little feature the other day:

There is a third mode beyond CENTER and FIXED called SCROLL-F. To access it, simply hold the CENT/FIX button down for a couple of seconds.

What this does is allow you to keep the "needle moves when you turn the knob, but the frequencies stay fixed in place" behavior of FIXED mode. The difference is that when you go beyond the edge of whatever part of the band you are displaying, the display now jumps over to follow the tuning needle and presents you a new screen showing that same kind of range fixed in place, but farther up (or down).

I like this a lot for bands like 6 M where the 7300 can't display the whole band on one screen. I absolutely hate the CENTER mode where the tuning needle stays in place and the frequency numbers all move. I am probably showing my age because all of the old style radios that people had when I was a kid had a needle that moved when you turned the knob, so that is what I like.  I leave my 7300 on SCROLL-F all the time now.

Link Posted: 1/16/2022 9:34:28 PM EDT
[#35]
good tip!   I hate scrolling off into the dark!
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 9:49:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
...I absolutely hate the CENTER mode where the tuning needle stays in place and the frequency numbers all move...[/url]
View Quote

It works well when a wide range of frequencies are to be covered, but precise frequency indication isn't needed. For example, tuning across a shortwave broadcast band such as the 49 or 31 Meter bands.
Not only is the receiver very good for hamming, it's also nice for SWLing.

The SW BC bands are a far cry from what they used to be 20 years ago, but there's still plenty of interesting stuff to be heard.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 9:50:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
good tip!   I hate scrolling off into the dark!
View Quote

Yeah, this is a really good feature. I am not sure which firmware update had it, but it's so much better than having the needle disappear off into oblivion.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 2:16:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Funny, I only use center mode. I like to quickly be able to set the rx freq to the correct side of a signal and not have to hunt around. I don't find much benefit from seeing the whole band as I can't remember new signals from ones I've worked. I start at the top of the band and work down and then switch bands and do it again.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 10:49:33 AM EDT
[#39]
This post is about filtering out noise that is coming from someone transmitting near the frequency you are listening to.

This issue is like the holy grail for me. So often, I will tune someone in, and maybe want to have a QSO with them, but noise from a nearby transmission makes it difficult. I know we have the 3 bandpass filters that we can adjust 2 ways each, but to be honest, I have only limited success with them. (It is certainly possible that I am not  using them to their full potential).

Anyway, I found something that REALLY works well. Am using Ham Radio Deluxe (I'm a paying customer) for logging and rig control. On the rig control screen, there is a slider for "Filter width" that is marked in kHz. Sliding this to the left narrows the receive bandwidth (or so it appears) and you can do this as little or as much as you need, in order to kill the noise from the nearby transmission.  I have not found another way to do this so well, and the slider is right there, so no menus to drill down into.

Is there an easy control for this in our 7300s that does the same thing, or is HRD providing additional functionality? I have searched the 7300 manual and not found anything like it.

ETA: Anyone considering HRD should wait for a national holiday. They typically put a coupon on their Facebook page worth 20-30% off.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 12:11:18 PM EDT
[#40]
@Emoto
I apologize if you already know this, but the bandwidth of the filters can be changed on the fly from the radio.

1 Press and hold the FIL indicator at the top center of the screen.
2 With the filter settings opened up, you will see a box on the lower center right labeled BW.
3 Tap the BW box and use the main tuning dial to adjust the filter width.
4 Push the exit button to back out of the menu.

Rob
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 12:17:54 PM EDT
[#41]
You can also adjust the twin pass band filter knobs and move either side of the filter independently on the fly.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 12:24:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
@Emoto
I apologize if you already know this, but the bandwidth of the filters can be changed on the fly from the radio.

1 Press and hold the FIL indicator at the top center of the screen.
2 With the filter settings opened up, you will see a box on the lower center right labeled BW.
3 Tap the BW box and use the main tuning dial to adjust the filter width.
4 Push the exit button to back out of the menu.

Rob
View Quote

Quoted:
You can also adjust the twin pass band filter knobs and move either side of the filter independently on the fly.
View Quote

No apology necessary! I freely admit there is no limit to my ignorance.

So, Filters 1, 2, and 3, and the knobs that control them. I have spent a lot of time using them and they are helpful, the notch filter too. But my perhaps inept use of them hasn't really been all that satisfactory. This filter width slider (at least so far) gets rid of the QRM like it was never there. I should take a video of it and post it.

ETA: Hang on. I need to try exactly what Rob said in his step 3. Maybe that is the same control?
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 12:28:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Moving the PBT knobs in opposite directions will have the same effect as narrowing the total filter width. Adjusting them in the same direction will shift the filter center.

Icom's Twin Passband Tuning (PBT)

Link Posted: 2/5/2022 12:51:52 PM EDT
[#44]
@Nmbmxer
I forgot about the the Twin PBT knobs! Technically, I suppose, IF shift vs BW changes. Thanks!
Rob
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 4:23:44 PM EDT
[#45]
H/T to Rob. Here is what the RX BW filter screen looks like. With the BW button selected, the big tuning knob varies the bandwidth from as high as 3.6k down to some small number. This the same filter that is adjusted with that HRD slider.

Link Posted: 2/5/2022 10:00:30 PM EDT
[#46]
@Emoto
Thanks and "no worries" as I like to say. I forgot all about the TWIN PBT knobs, as I find them fiddly, in a sense that I can't be sure about what I'm doing with out the graphic. IF shift (moving the pass band) is an excellent technique. One thing I like but have not had much time to try is using the manual notch to cut off a signal just off the pass band on one side or another. To see the effects both the band scope and the audio scope have to be on the screen.
Rob
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 12:57:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

There is a third mode beyond CENTER and FIXED called SCROLL-F. To access it, simply hold the CENT/FIX button down for a couple of seconds.

What this does is allow you to keep the "needle moves when you turn the knob, but the frequencies stay fixed in place" behavior of FIXED mode. The difference is that when you go beyond the edge of whatever part of the band you are displaying, the display now jumps over to follow the tuning needle and presents you a new screen showing that same kind of range fixed in place, but farther up (or down).

I like this a lot for bands like 6 M where the 7300 can't display the whole band on one screen. I absolutely hate the CENTER mode where the tuning needle stays in place and the frequency numbers all move. I am probably showing my age because all of the old style radios that people had when I was a kid had a needle that moved when you turned the knob, so that is what I like.  I leave my 7300 on SCROLL-F all the time now.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-5rFFWGD/0/cf3fd284/L/i-5rFFWGD-L.png
View Quote

That's a great find. I didn't know that. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-5rFFWGD/0/cf3fd284/L/i-5rFFWGD-L.png
View Quote

I found there is a fourth mode as well.  If you're in Center mode when you press/hold the CENT/FIX button, you get SCROLL-C.  Display shows +/-25K from the freq. you started on.  Scrolls the same as SCROLL-F but jumps to the next 50k segment when the needle hits an edge.

Link Posted: 2/7/2022 8:22:33 PM EDT
[#49]
DIY doorstop TX foot switch

Link Posted: 2/7/2022 8:36:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I found there is a fourth mode as well.  If you're in Center mode when you press/hold the CENT/FIX button, you get SCROLL-C.  Display shows +/-25K from the freq. you started on.  Scrolls the same as SCROLL-F but jumps to the next 50k segment when the needle hits an edge.

View Quote

Very cool!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top