BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 3:20:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 4:58:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Alembic, thanks a lot for the information. Changing the passwords around in the PiStar config must've done the trick. I was able to make a successful contact today on TG556. Much appreciated!Alembi,
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 5:04:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Alembic, thanks a lot for the information. Changing the passwords around in the PiStar config must've done the trick. I was able to make a successful contact today on TG556. Much appreciated!Alembi,
View Quote

Glad that worked!

Yeah, that was me on the contact..
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 5:33:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Glad that worked!

Yeah, that was me on the contact..
View Quote

Nice, thanks again for your help! Good call as switching those passwords around did the trick.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 3:35:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Happy to report that the Anytone 578 cross band (and cross-modulated) repeat from a 2 meter (or 220MHz)  analog frequency to DMR and the hotspot works very well.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 4:25:31 PM EDT
[#6]
bump for 9 pm eastern net.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 8:59:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 8:45:28 AM EDT
[#8]
System Fusion Arfcom Room FCS00336-

Is this room still active?

Is it accessible via pi-star?
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 3:03:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
System Fusion Arfcom Room FCS00336-

Is this room still active?

Is it accessible via pi-star?
View Quote

I don't think it is active, I couldn't connect to it via Droidstar the other night.

Definitely could via pi-star.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 3:04:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sounds like we’re gonna have Australia on the net.
View Quote

How cool was that? What a station he has outside of Melbourne.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 8:26:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 12:19:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I didn’t look him up. Does he have pics on qrz? Don’t even remember his call.
View Quote

He's just got a picture of his tri-band beam and his well-done shack.

After seeing KE5EE's QRZ page that piccolo referenced, I doubt I'll be ever blown away by gear on a QRZ page again, lol. Literally how to spend a million bucks on ham radio. The fellow with a warehouse full of old restored AM transmitters the size of refrigerators was also eye-opening.

I'll have Barry's call in the net tonight if he doesn't check in.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 1:18:34 PM EDT
[#13]
net tonight, will be running it mobile.
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 3:39:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Was gonna say hi earlier then the dog heard everyone talking and lost his mind. So hi?
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 8:20:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Was gonna say hi earlier then the dog heard everyone talking and lost his mind. So hi?
View Quote

Howdy

Come on in to the net tonight.

I usually buy my dogs off with long-lasting chews on net nights.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 4:58:47 PM EDT
[#16]
@Keith1980   How are you doing, bud?
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 5:25:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 6:19:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Got a little pneumonia. In the hospital now.
View Quote

Damn. Sorry to hear that. . Hope you get better, and  feel better soon.

Got you in my prayers.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 10:12:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Alright guys, my turn for stupid question of the week.  I haven't been on the DMR net in a while, life etc.  Since I haven't used the pistar I haven't really thought about it.  Well I had it hooked to a verizon mifi that has since shit the bed.  I got a new one with of course a new user name and password but I can not for the life of me get logged into the pistar via my computer to update the wifi settings.  I have tried every wifi password I have had and I can not get my computer or phone to connect to the pistar to update the wifi settings in it.  Is there any way to factory reset these things or something?  I have the MMDVMM device.  

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 9:29:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Alright guys, my turn for stupid question of the week.  I haven't been on the DMR net in a while, life etc.  Since I haven't used the pistar I haven't really thought about it.  Well I had it hooked to a verizon mifi that has since shit the bed.  I got a new one with of course a new user name and password but I can not for the life of me get logged into the pistar via my computer to update the wifi settings.  I have tried every wifi password I have had and I can not get my computer or phone to connect to the pistar to update the wifi settings in it.  Is there any way to factory reset these things or something?  I have the MMDVMM device.  

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

Yes, there is an option to do just that, on the configuration screen. But if you can't get to the screen..

Unless you changed it the hotspot's username is pi-star, password is raspberry

First thing I woyld try is to use the wi-fi from the pi-star to get into it.

So give it power and see if any of your devices can use it's wi-fi, which is just enough to get in and configure it. You might have it's ip address in history

Sorry, been up til 3 am building up a codeplug for my 2nd AT-578 (Pro thiis time!) that was still on firmware 3 revisions old.

Link Posted: 9/1/2021 9:37:07 AM EDT
[#21]
@ropin4gold

You came up on the 556 dashboard, so it looks like you got it going.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 11:37:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks, the raspberry was the password.  Appreciate the help.  Back in the game, I think.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 8:00:24 PM EDT
[#23]
I have tried reading into how to get setup for DMR and I am quite confused. The good news is my dad is a HAM wizard, so I have reached out to him. Hopefully I can get something going. From what I gather, I should be able to operate on this net with a technician's license?
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 1:41:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Correct. All you need is a tech license. If you don’t have a DMR setup but have an android phone there’s some guys who you the droidstar app to get in. @Alembic probably knows more about the app than I do.
View Quote

I would start here, I only use the DroidStar phone app as a back up to a back up. Several folks on the 556 talkgroup use it with no issues.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/Ham-Radio-Droidstar-app-DMR-AllStar-DStar-YSF-/22-698961/

Link Posted: 9/9/2021 1:31:13 PM EDT
[#26]
bumparoo
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 2:45:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Net tonite
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 8:06:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Trivia, yay or nay?
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 11:51:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 4:13:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Sure why not.
View Quote

Alex Trabek over here.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 3:18:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 7:49:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I’ll take, “I didn’t get shit right for $1,000” Alex.
View Quote

Yet you might have more right than anyone...still.

The questions from QRZ are strange anyway and the 30 MHz question is a head scratcher.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 11:54:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Great net tonight.  Check ins seemed to be up.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 10:45:12 PM EDT
[#34]
I was a lurker tonight for the first time.  9ET is right when I'm starting the bedtime process for my three kids(4,7,9 and single dad)so I couldn't commit to the round table.

Regarding 556 SBRs. The MK18 or a good clone is as close to a perfect 556 SBR as your going to find. DoD did a lot of research to come up with that balance of compactness and velocity.  You aren't going to take it to 600M but you'll do just awesome from CQC range out to 300ish which practically speaking encompasses the average citizens engagement distance. A suppressed MK18 comes in at about 16" overall which is nice.

If you want to go shorter than that 300blk is your sauce.  It has crazy short barrels baked right into the recipe.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 12:07:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Got my radio turned on for the net but could not hear anything.
Has anything changed in the last year? I just don't want to read the last 10 pages to find any changes mentioned.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 11:36:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Has anything changed in the last year? I just don't want to read the last 10 pages to find any changes mentioned.
View Quote

Its just the TGIF DMR network TG 556. If you don't have a linked repeater close you'll need a hotspot.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 2:37:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, and no..

TGIF updated their servers and called it Prime, and began migrating talk groups over from their "Legacy" servers. around the same time, they offered users a unique 10-digit security key (a la Brandmeister's password requirement).

Talkgroup 556, as of this post, still supports users with hotspots configured for the old Legacy server. So in effect, since it was working last year, it still should. I'm guessing a setting got changed between your radio/hotspot.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 2:52:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I was a lurker tonight for the first time.  9ET is right when I'm starting the bedtime process for my three kids(4,7,9 and single dad)so I couldn't commit to the round table.

Regarding 556 SBRs. The MK18 or a good clone is as close to a perfect 556 SBR as your going to find. DoD did a lot of research to come up with that balance of compactness and velocity.  You aren't going to take it to 600M but you'll do just awesome from CQC range out to 300ish which practically speaking encompasses the average citizens engagement distance. A suppressed MK18 comes in at about 16" overall which is nice.

If you want to go shorter than that 300blk is your sauce.  It has crazy short barrels baked right into the recipe.
View Quote

We usually have a couple of "one and done"s, oddly, none last night.

My BCM 300blk pistol was too short, at 8.5" for me. It would have been better as an SBR, no doubt. I've decided on 11.5 (pistol and may SBR down the road) and a can.

Link Posted: 10/15/2021 5:57:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 1:18:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Which one of you guys in Florida just bought a new Motorola turbo? I heard someone talking about it while I was making dinner for my kids. I didn't catch the name or call.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:18:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 4:07:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 5:25:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Since my pi-star is working again I just got an SD card programmed for TGIF.

To figure out programming I came across this video. Bit of a surprise half way through when he looks for an active talkgroup.
[youtube]wivlr60d5DI?t=1724[/youtube]
https://youtu.be/wivlr60d5DI?t=1724
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 8:04:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Since my pi-star is working again I just got an SD card programmed for TGIF.

To figure out programming I came across this video. Bit of a surprise half way through when he looks for an active talkgroup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wivlr60d5DI?t=1724
https://youtu.be/wivlr60d5DI?t=1724
View Quote

Ha..yep, recognize those guys..Too bad he keyed up on 31656 instead of 556 for his demo.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 5:04:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Ok. I'm confused. I had my DMR server on TGIF. I updated my Anytone with a couple new talk groups. Now I get green lights on pi-star dashboard. But it is not transmitting anything. Any ideas? My Brandmeister is entered and correct. I have Dstar and DMR running. But I've always had them both going at the same time.

ETA: My hotspot shows up on Brandmeister also.

ETA 2: Man I'm a bonehead. I was adding some more talkgroups earlier and updating the contact list. While doing so was talking to a buddy of mine. Stupidly I added the contact list to the radio id list. I thought I cleared it. Yeah....I didn't. When through a whole riga-maroll including reflashing. All because I was being sloppy. It's fixed now.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 8:17:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Been without a hotpsot for a while and just got it back online. Heard some buzz about the new prime tgif and how some settings in hotspots would need to be changed to access the network. Has 556 moved to the prime network or is the old tgif network still online?

Not up to date with how the new network has affected talkgroups that were in place before the switch.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 8:44:32 PM EDT
[#47]
There's no legacy or prime anymore. It's just tgif.network.
You have to log in and go to self-care to get your password to put in your hotspot. Hth
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 9:21:07 PM EDT
[#48]
556 still allows hotspots without the 10-digit key from TGIF, as long as the hotspot has at least the "passw0rd" in the configuration page. Or is it Passw0rd...

Most TGIF talk groups will not (is my understanding). But on the 556 admin dashboard, about half are running the key, and half not...The key is private but the connection shows grey with the key, and orange without it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 9:07:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Been lurking for a while, but finally got my hotspot set up tonight and made my first DMR contact with Tom. Great talking to you tonight. Now, how do get that little ham radio icon on my profile?

Brad- KD9TNT
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 11:09:07 PM EDT
[#50]
I suggest editing names and calls unless you get permission.

One way or another congratulations on getting on DMR!

To get the icon I think you have to send Paul a scan of your license.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top