Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2017 10:15:50 PM EDT
Just wondering if any of you guys had a chance to pair an Icom ID-5100a with an android through an optional Icom UT-133A Bluetooth adapter. After successfully using noth of my ID-51a HT's with Icom software (to send pictures, text, etc) I decided to add a Bluetooth adapter to my ID-5100 base radio so it can be used with the same Icom software. Unfortunately, numerous attempts to connect my Samsung tablet and Samsung smarphone, have failed. It seems like the radio pairs but fails to connect. I was wondering if any of you guys had success with this? I could not find much information online except the full manual that describes the procedure, which I followed thoroughly.
The radio does connect to my Bluetooth speaker but not the tablet (or the phone). I hope I did not waste $90 for the new adapter.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:00:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I recently installed one in my 5100A and it works fine.    Paired it with my Samsung S7.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:09:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't use it with my phone but I have a VS-3 bluetooth mic I love. I have an old Icom radio with a not-well-known-about IR mic that was a joy. Not sure why wireless mics aren't more of a thing.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:44:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I just spent about half hour on the phone with Icom tech support. It turns out that the Bluetooth module only works with very old bluetooth devices (version 2.1-3.0). Anything newer won't work. My tablet is about 5 years old and my Samsung S5 is about 2 years old. Both have version 4.0 Bluetooth and won't connect to the Icom. My 6 month oil Lenovo laptop won't connect either.
Just wanted to let you know of anyone wants to purchase one of those modules. I will try to return it to HRO but I doubt they will take it back since it's been used.
Icom "half-assed" it again. This is why I always prefer Yaesu products..
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:20:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Weird.  My Samsung S7 connected without problems.  

Maybe your BT module is defective?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:07:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Ham radio was pretty state of the art in 1993

Too bad it's still stuck in 1993
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:48:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
It does connect to a speaker. What version is BT module in your phone? The Icom rep said anything over 3.0 will not work. This makes no sense at all. I even tried a 7 year old Samsung tablet and it fails to connect either. The BT version is still 4.0, even that old!

Did your phone connect AND COMMUNICATE with the radio?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:36:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It does connect to a speaker. What version is BT module in your phone? The Icom rep said anything over 3.0 will not work. This makes no sense at all. I even tried a 7 year old Samsung tablet and it fails to connect either. The BT version is still 4.0, even that old!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Samsung says it's BT v4.2.    http://www.samsung.com/us/explore/galaxy-s7/

Yes.  The app showed the radio's settings and I could also make some changes.  I'll do a quick check and take some screenshots.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:09:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Just did a quick pairing and changed repeaters and TX power using the app.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The initial pairing took a few minutes.  However, after that it's virtually automatic.  App asks which radio I want to pair with, since it's already in the phone's memory it's almost instantaneous.

Did you follow the BT settings in the radio by the letter?  If so, it's probably something wrong with your board.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:01:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The initial pairing took a few minutes.  However, after that it's virtually automatic.  App asks which radio I want to pair with, since it's already in the phone's memory it's almost instantaneous.

Did you follow the BT settings in the radio by the letter?  If so, it's probably something wrong with your board.
View Quote
Thanks. I appreciate your help and pictures.

The setup procedure is kind of self explanatory. A window pops in both the radio and my tablet asking to verify the passcode. I click "ok" and "confirm" on both devices, it goes into  Setting....... and then a message on the radio says that it failed to connect. Same thing on my phone and other tablets.

There was a large D-Star net yesterday and I asked this question. Several guys said they could not connect to anything except the Icom's $130 Bluetooth microphone. Nothing else worked for them either. One of the guys said that the manual clearly states that it will only work with Icom BT devices. I can't find anything saying this in the manual that came with my radio.

At this point I don't know what else to try. Is the BT module in your radio BT-133 or BT-133A? Mine is the "A" version.

I will call Icom again. Is it ok if I reference to your picture? They will probably give me another BS answer to just get rid of me. LOL. This is what I hate about Japanese products support. Everything is "hush-hush". They would never acknowledge that there is a problem and will deny everything.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:27:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The setup procedure is kind of self explanatory. A window pops in both the radio and my tablet asking to verify the passcode. I click "ok" and "confirm" on both devices, it goes into  Setting....... and then a message on the radio says that it failed to connect. Same thing on my phone and other tablets.

There was a large D-Star net yesterday and I asked this question. Several guys said they could not connect to anything except the Icom's $130 Bluetooth microphone. Nothing else worked for them either. One of the guys said that the manual clearly states that it will only work with Icom BT devices. I can't find anything saying this in the manual that came with my radio.

At this point I don't know what else to try. Is the BT module in your radio BT-133 or BT-133A? Mine is the "A" version.

I will call Icom again. Is it ok if I reference to your picture? They will probably give me another BS answer to just get rid of me. LOL. This is what I hate about Japanese products support. Everything is "hush-hush". They would never acknowledge that there is a problem and will deny everything.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IC-UT133
At least that's how it's described.  I got it at HRO.

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-013274

Feel free to use the photos.  

The info about the module only pairing with other Icom products does not make sense.  After all, the app was designed for cellphones.   And I think the support guy is also blowing smoke.  

Have you tried feedback in the Icom Facebook groups?   Lots of good info and users there.   There's one group dedicated to the 5100 and I do not recall anyone mentioning this issue there.

I've been swamped with work and activities with my son.  My next test is finding other folks with this module to try exchanging photos and other info directly through the phone via the radio.    Also want to install the radio in my Jeep this Summer and try some of the features the app enables.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top