Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2016 11:40:21 AM EDT
I am embarking on HAM radio, but am wondering if I should look in the direction of business type systems and licensing.

If I am self-employed, and have multiple vehicles and multiple people in a commercial setting, does it make more sense to look towards a business license?

Would that preclude me from using HF like a technicians only license does?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:56:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Use MURs or GMRS or rent business band radios and frequency from a local comms company. Ham radio can not be used for business purpose.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:03:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am self-employed, and have multiple vehicles and multiple people in a commercial setting, [and so I am required to obtain a] business license[.]
View Quote

Fixed that for you. You need Part 90, talk to a local shop or run a search on getting your itinerant.

Quoted:
Would that preclude me from using HF like a technicians only license does?
View Quote

You're barking up the wrong tree for your business use. Depending on what your local spectrum looks like, you'll be looking at a VHF High and/or UHF system.

Now, nobody says you can only run on part 90: get a business license for your business, and work on your amateur license for your own personal enjoyment. With a general, you'll have plenty of HF to play on.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:05:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Use MURs or GMRS or rent business band radios and frequency from a local comms company. Ham radio can not be used for business purpose.
View Quote

this

how far do you want to talk to your vehicles? Getting setup with a local company may be your best bet
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:28:59 PM EDT
[#4]
In the 80-90's we had business band radio's.  I still have a crate of mobils and handhelds sitting in our shop.  They worked okay but in general were more unreliable then a cell phone.  We eventually phased them out for cell phones.  You need a tower for good line of sight and a base station ours had a repeater function and a phone patch.  They used to be expensive as heck, but no idea as to the cost now.  Range for us was limited to about 21 miles but that's all about terrain and height of tower.  I'd tell you just to use cell phones, but my knowledge is old.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:53:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In the 80-90's we had business band radio's.  I still have a crate of mobils and handhelds sitting in our shop.  They worked okay but in general were more unreliable then a cell phone.  We eventually phased them out for cell phones.  You need a tower for good line of sight and a base station ours had a repeater function and a phone patch.  They used to be expensive as heck, but no idea as to the cost now.  Range for us was limited to about 21 miles but that's all about terrain and height of tower.  I'd tell you just to use cell phones, but my knowledge is old.
View Quote

trunked networks will extend to a whole operating area if the company supports it.

I know one of our local places has multiple towers around the Philly metro area with portable/HT coverage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top