Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2016 8:19:23 AM EDT
Ameren UE is going to replace 125,000 street lights with LEDs.  I'm certain that the lights have been thoroughly tested and don't produce ANY spurious RFI.

LED Street Lights

Does anyone here live in an area with these?  I know that many of the LED lights in the house are HUGE noise sources.

Link Posted: 4/8/2016 8:44:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't all electronic devices have to meet FCC interference requirements?
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 9:17:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm upgrading all of my exterior lights to LED.

Hopefully they don't make a bunch of RFI and they'll stay up.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 9:20:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't all electronic devices have to meet FCC interference requirements?
View Quote

I wish that was true.  There have been lots of noise problems with grow lights.  I have half-a-dozen LED bulbs that I can't turn on while operating because they put out so much noise.  The current issue of QST has a long article about micro-inverters on solar systems causing noise.  I don't know if these devices were tested before they were accepted, or if they passed a low-standard test.

I'm just wondering what the future holds with 125,000 potential noise sources in a concentrated area.

ETA:
Grow lights

LED noise
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 9:24:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm upgrading all of my exterior lights to LED.

Hopefully they don't make a bunch of RFI and they'll stay up.
View Quote

I switched all of my interior lighting to LEDs and about half are quiet.  The other half cause my noise floor to go from S2 to S9+10.  I live in an apartment, so my antennas are closer to the LEDs than they would be if I had land.  I have not been able to test the effects of distance on noise level.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 9:28:50 AM EDT
[#5]
The LED shop lights are noises as well.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 9:38:46 AM EDT
[#6]
If they do cause noise, file a complaint with the FCC, requesting that they are all removed.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 9:44:07 AM EDT
[#7]
How would I check for this?
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 9:45:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If they do cause noise, file a complaint with the FCC, requesting that they are all removed.  
View Quote

I'm taking option B.  For lots of reasons, I'm moving to a little piece of heaven in northeastern Arizona.    After extensive testing, I found that the cat only generates significant noise when I step on his tail in the middle of the night.  

Link Posted: 4/8/2016 9:49:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

For me, it's most obvious on 40m through 20m.  6m AM is HORRIBLE!  Yes, we still do AM here.  Find what should be a quiet frequency and turn the lights on and off.  If I could figure out how to post a recording, I would.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 9:56:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

For me, it's most obvious on 40m through 20m.  6m AM is HORRIBLE!  Yes, we still do AM here.  Find what should be a quiet frequency and turn the lights on and off.  If I could figure out how to post a recording, I would.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

soundcloud, vocaroo, or if you are a masochist youtube.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 3:22:13 PM EDT
[#11]
all my lights in the house except for 5(2 pendant lights above the kitchen island and 3 little candle like bulbs in a ceiling fan) are LED. i havent noticed any increase in my sound floor. of course the sound floor here is a solid 7/8 on any given day no matter what i do.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 6:45:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm taking option B.  For lots of reasons, I'm moving to a little piece of heaven in northeastern Arizona.    After extensive testing, I found that the cat only generates significant noise when I step on his tail in the middle of the night.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your destination AO and my BOL are the same region. Feel free to hit me up if you need local intel.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 7:03:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Street lights got replaced with LED around here recently, no noise.  All of my shack and house lights are LED, no noise.  I have a S0 noise floor, so I'd definitely know if something changed.  I hope there won't be any impact to you OP.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 7:44:12 PM EDT
[#14]
hey,  I don't mean to change the subject,  . . . but have you guys ever seen those really cool IDF 10/22's

...uh what were we talking about

Link Posted: 4/11/2016 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
hey,  I don't mean to change the subject,  . . . but have you guys ever seen those really cool IDF 10/22's

http://www.rugertalk.com/images/3/1/2/0/israeli-sniper-with-silenced-1022-517-full.jpg
View Quote

Lemme guess. You are the one with the rifle, Piccolo is talking on the radio? Operation "RF Freedom".
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 10:33:42 AM EDT
[#16]

It would take them longer to find a short in the wiring to the whole street, wouldn't it?

Just asking!
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 11:34:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me know when you get here. I have some land outside of Show Low.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 11:58:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Lemme guess. You are the one with the rifle, Piccolo is talking on the radio? Operation "RF Freedom".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.rugertalk.com/images/3/1/2/0/israeli-sniper-with-silenced-1022-517-full.jpg

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:28:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in St. Johns now talking to people about all the things I'm going to need.  I'll be here through Friday and then back to St. Louis until late October.  I haven't been to Show Low yet, but it's on my plan.  

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:55:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm in St. Johns now talking to people about all the things I'm going to need.  I'll be here through Friday and then back to St. Louis until late October.  I haven't been to Show Low yet, but it's on my plan.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What things do you need? Off grid stuff? There's a lot of wind up in that part of the state so it's a viable option for power.
I monitor the ARA's RIMLINK system when I'm up there. It's on Greens Peak, and has great coverage.
When you head to Show Low, stop at the Stanford General Store. It's at the intersection of RT60 and 61. They have a pretty good deli inside.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:21:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I have found that Ameren is very very responsive to noise issues.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:26:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What things do you need? Off grid stuff? There's a lot of wind up in that part of the state so it's a viable option for power.
I monitor the ARA's RIMLINK system when I'm up there. It's on Greens Peak, and has great coverage.
When you head to Show Low, stop at the Stanford General Store. It's at the intersection of RT60 and 61. They have a pretty good deli inside.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm getting info on building permits, getting a well survey, storage container placement and other new land-owner info.  I have the solar panels for electricity and a reasonable battery pack, but I'm looking for solar hot water panels and installation stuff.

I am also serious about what if anything needs to be done to have a good radial system in sandy DRY conditions.  I'll probably head over to Show Low tomorrow.  That seems to be where everything is.

ETA: I'm generally on the 2100 net each night.  People can't quite figure out how I'm getting into the repeater from St. Louis.  I'm telling them that I'm using a 1,500 watt amp and a 50-element log periodic at 300'.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top