Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2015 4:27:02 PM EDT
Has anyone here messed around with them?

B+ =$25
2= $35

Im thinking of grabbing one to mess around with.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:39:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes a few of us have them. I built a PI TNC packet station and I think BigDaddy has a PI IRLP node.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:50:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I use one Pi Model B (512) as a IRLP Node.

Another Pi Model B (512) as a NTP (time) Server.

And  I just picked up a Pi2 Model B (1GB) to experiment with.

They are quite capable for the money

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:48:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I currently have two B+s in the house that I experiment doing various things with. I am in the process of gathering pieces for both a packet node and IRLP node mentioned above. It may take some time, but that's my plan. They really are capable computers as long as you keep in mind their limitations.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:50:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one running my APRS digipeater.

I have used one to run HF digital modes (FLDIGI) in conjunction with an FT-817.

I am going to do the NTP server if I can remember.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:46:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes a few of us have them. I built a PI TNC packet station and I think BigDaddy has a PI IRLP node.
View Quote

Yep!    Thread Link
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:52:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd go with the Pi2. While the B+ has more support the Pi2 is coming along nicely and is
way more capable (and the B+ isn't a slouch.) I've got several, one is running my ntp server,
another is an RTL radio to aircraft transponders (dump1090), and a third is doing spectrum
analysis with alerts 24/7 using rtl_power. (And on that note, I keep picking up what looks like
a near-field burst at 137.6 MHz of under a second about once a day -- now that's a head-scratcher.)

Definitely worth getting one to play around with. I'd suggest getting an RTL-SDR dongle as well.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:52:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'd go with the Pi2. While the B+ has more support the Pi2 is coming along nicely and is
way more capable (and the B+ isn't a slouch.) I've got several, one is running my ntp server,
another is an RTL radio to aircraft transponders (dump1090), and a third is doing spectrum
analysis with alerts 24/7 using rtl_power.
(And on that note, I keep picking up what looks like
a near-field burst at 137.6 MHz of under a second about once a day -- now that's a head-scratcher.)

Definitely worth getting one to play around with. I'd suggest getting an RTL-SDR dongle as well.
View Quote

Link to thread?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:58:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Link to thread?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
analysis with alerts 24/7 using rtl_power.
(And on that note, I keep picking up what looks like

Link to thread?

I'll go make one
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:48:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Many don't know this, but there was the Pi B model, Rev 2, B+ and then Pi 2's came out.

I've got a Rev 1 that was my girlfriend's (now wife's) connection to my Plexmedia server for her apartment that I put together for her for Valentines day. I've got 2 Rev 2 B models, one is on a VESA mount with a TNC Pi plugged into the back of a TV at my desk. The other is a experimental toy. It gets used for site stuies (rtl_power), testing scripts, and testing ideas. One of the current ideas is trying to look into using it as a serial server as well as a virtual network device (similar to how a serial server works, just virtually sharing a network device named usb0).
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:35:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Has anyone here messed around with them?

B+ =$25

2= $35

Im thinking of grabbing one to mess around with.

View Quote

I have 5 of them in use 24hrs a day.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:12:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Got one running PLEX for a TV, and another one that will be a workstation for my go box.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:22:45 AM EDT
[#12]
What do y'all use for displays on these? Both for setting up headless units and also for portable displays. I'm getting interested again.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:32:21 AM EDT
[#13]
I use all of mine headless. Most are B, some are B+, I think the printer's is a B+ but athat's the only one I remember for sure. Some of them are first-revision model B. I don't have a model A, but I can see the utility in the form-factor. I should replace the B with an A in the GPSD NTP server.

One is a portable RTL-SDR spectrum analyzer.
One is an rtl-sdr APRS IGate.
One is a GPS disciplined NTP server.
One runs my 3d printer.
One is a GameBoy form-factor NES emulator.
One is a remote-listening post at my in-laws house on HF, using an RTLSDR with a 20m bandpass filter and direct sampling.

One is sitting on my bench going to become a wifi-time synced alarm clock with an OLED screen.
One is sitting next to the alarm clock to become a controller for my softrock rxtx to replace the rtlsdr listening post.

Jesus I have a lot of these things...
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:43:29 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I use all of mine headless. Most are B, some are B+, I think the printer's is a B+ but athat's the only one I remember for sure. Some of them are first-revision model B. I don't have a model A, but I can see the utility in the form-factor. I should replace the B with an A in the GPSD NTP server.

One is a portable RTL-SDR spectrum analyzer.

One is an rtl-sdr APRS IGate.

One is a GPS disciplined NTP server.

One runs my 3d printer.

One is a GameBoy form-factor NES emulator.

One is a remote-listening post at my in-laws house on HF, using an RTLSDR with a 20m bandpass filter and direct sampling.

One is sitting on my bench going to become a wifi-time synced alarm clock with an OLED screen.

One is sitting next to the alarm clock to become a controller for my softrock rxtx to replace the rtlsdr listening post.

Jesus I have a lot of these things...
View Quote
Don't you need some kind of display for the initial configuration/setup?  What do they use, HDMI or something?

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:25:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

What do y'all use for displays on these? Both for setting up headless units and also for portable displays. I'm getting interested again.
View Quote

PUTTY through the network.

None of mine have displays.  But Im not using them with any need to see the actual boot process.

DSTAR

IRLP

PROSODY IM SERVER

DAVIS WX STATION/WEEWX
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:52:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Setup can be done without a display if you configure the SD card on a PC with a few edits to
key files. But yes, you can use a HDMI or HDMI to DVI adapter to get a screen if you want.

I use ssh on my linux box. Heck, you can ssh -Y into the Pi and run X on the Pi and have the
apps show on your linux PC's screen as well. (That's how I do the net every week, except
it's not a Pi I ssh into.)
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:01:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I have several running.  Three are running webcams using the UVC interface.  Two are doing ADS-B reception with SDR dongles.  I also have MySQL DB's running and one has WordPress on it.  Nice little devices and really cheap for what you can do.  Sadly I had one get fried by lightning back on 5/31.  I keep some spares so I was able to replace it rather quickly.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:30:50 PM EDT
[#18]
SSH is how I administer a lot of stuff. My Pi's, my home server, Microtik routers…SCADA systems for big oil.

I generally run headless for experimenting. Initial configuration is generally done via Minicom if there isn't a network connected. If there is, I'll generally just search for it using arp and then nmap -P22 -O it to make sure I've selected the proper IP.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:51:34 AM EDT
[#19]
I really want one to do the aircraft tracking in the shack with a dedicated monitor.......
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:49:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:Don't you need some kind of display for the initial configuration/setup?  What do they use, HDMI or something?

View Quote

Nope. Just drop the image on the SD card, plug the mac address into my dhcp server, and ssh in once it boots.

If it doesn't require network comms, I just use a serial console.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:13:18 AM EDT
[#21]
I guess I have some reading to do
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:23:01 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a few for media centers running our TVs. We don't have cable anymore but a raspberry pi running osmc (new xbmc replacement) makes the need for cable television obsolete
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top