Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/22/2015 2:30:01 PM EDT
I fent. $99 bucks shipped.
Here it is on Amazon

Anyone have experience with this or similar? Any insight on programming via chirp, etc would be appreciated.

Will report more on unboxing and some QSOs.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:29:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Let us know how you like it. I suspect the RX front end is no better than a Baofeng but at least the price is in the Baofeng range.
The microphone looks awfully familiar.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:52:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Let us know how you like it. I suspect the RX front end is no better than a Baofeng but at least the price is in the Baofeng range.
The microphone looks awfully familiar.
View Quote

I'm not to sure its an actual triband. I cant find any other information on that brand but there are QYT's and Zastones that look the exact same and they are only 2m/440
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:21:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, for example, portable TYT UV-3R is "hidden" (opening with standard manufacturer software) tri-bander. Why not mobile analog?

ETA: http://www.chinajuentai.com/
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:01:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm definitely interested in seeing if this will operate on the 222MHz band.

Please do keep us posted.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:04:19 AM EDT
[#5]
kinda want.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:20:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm definitely interested in seeing if this will operate on the 222MHz band.

Please do keep us posted.
View Quote

as am I, if it does, I'll be picking one up.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:30:33 PM EDT
[#7]
My suspicion is that, like many of the chinese radios, there are models that support the 220 band so the software supports that band, but that there is only hardware to support two bands in any particular radio, and those are VHF & UHF models.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:17:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My suspicion is that, like many of the chinese radios, there are models that support the 220 band so the software supports that band, but that there is only hardware to support two bands in any particular radio, and those are VHF & UHF models.
View Quote

Not sure what you're trying to say here.  Isn't 222 MHz VHF?
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:42:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't know I needed to specify "VHF High Band 136-174MHz".

No practical transceiver can include the 220MHz range in with the normal VHF high band in one continuous band.  It would be a separate band of frequency coverage - a separate RF path in the radio.

If it's a "dual band" transceiver, it would include two bands.  From the specifications, those bands would include some combination of VHF (136-174), the 220 range (probably 216-240 or something like that), and UHF (some part of the 406-512 range).

Then again, the Chinese companies don't translate things very well and have in the past described something as a "dual band" radio because it displays two frequencies on the screen at the same time, regardless of what the RF capability is of the radio.

Spec sheets on Chinese radios frequently describe what is possibly available in various versions of the radio, not necessarily that one version does everything.  We have seen this over and over, where spec sheets describe 220MHz coverage as a possibility, but that doesn't mean it is always included.  Witness the UV-5R variants which are VHF/220 along with a couple of the other Chinese brands.  I think one of the companies had a 220/UHF radio at one point.  Some of the radios describe UHF bands like (350-400) (406-470) (430-512) or something like that.  Doesn't mean one radio does all of those, it means that those are the ranges that are available depending on the version of the radio.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 11:03:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Having been around long enough to have seen turbo buttons on PC clones with docs indicating "enable" and "disenable", I am fully prepared for a Chinglish user manual.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 12:10:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Having been around long enough to have seen turbo buttons on PC clones with docs indicating "enable" and "disenable", I am fully prepared for a Chinglish user manual.
View Quote

I was doing a project at a manufacturing plant is Savannah, GA. They had a motor starter with a neatly engraved label that said: "MASH GREEN BUTONE RUN SHIT PUMP" (original spelling and grammar).  
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:22:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No practical transceiver can include the 220MHz range in with the normal VHF high band in one continuous band.  It would be a separate band of frequency coverage - a separate RF path in the radio.

If it's a "dual band" transceiver, it would include two bands.  From the specifications, those bands would include some combination of VHF (136-174), the 220 range (probably 216-240 or something like that), and UHF (some part of the 406-512 range).

Then again, the Chinese companies don't translate things very well and have in the past described something as a "dual band" radio because it displays two frequencies on the screen at the same time, regardless of what the RF capability is of the radio.

Spec sheets on Chinese radios frequently describe what is possibly available in various versions of the radio, not necessarily that one version does everything.  We have seen this over and over, where spec sheets describe 220MHz coverage as a possibility, but that doesn't mean it is always included.  Witness the UV-5R variants which are VHF/220 along with a couple of the other Chinese brands.  I think one of the companies had a 220/UHF radio at one point.  Some of the radios describe UHF bands like (350-400) (406-470) (430-512) or something like that.  Doesn't mean one radio does all of those, it means that those are the ranges that are available depending on the version of the radio.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for clarifying.

Yeah, I've read enough Engrish manuals to know where you're coming from.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:31:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's awesome!  I was in the PC tech business during those days.  Looking forward to your review of the new rig.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:17:51 PM EDT
[#14]
...and it's here. Quick look now,  More to follow during the weekend.

Manual shows front data connection (3,5mm?) om the front panel below the mic RJ-45, does not exist on the unit.

Tiny! about the size of 2 side by side UV-3R's!

Menu has 45 items:

TDR
STEP
SQL
TXP
SCR
TOT
TOA
WN
ABR
BEEP
R-DCS
R-CTCS
TDCS
T-CTCS
DTMFST
BCL
SC-ADD
PRI-SC
PRI-CH
SC-REV
OPTSIG
SPMUTE
PTT-ID
PTT-LT
S-INFO
EMC-TP
EMC-CH
RING-T
CHNAME
CA-MDF
CB-MDF
AUTOLK
PONMSG
WT-LED
RX-LED
TX-LED
MEM-CH
DEL-CH
SFT-D
OFFSET
ANI
ANI-L
REP-S
REP-M
RESET ALL
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:28:10 PM EDT
[#15]
OK! Looking at the Amazon link and reading down, what the heck is Feature # 8 - Remote Stun and Feature # 9 - Remote Kill??? Did I miss something about a hidden stun gun and maybe something more lethal ???
Sarge
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:25:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
OK! Looking at the Amazon link and reading down, what the heck is Feature # 8 - Remote Stun and Feature # 9 - Remote Kill??? Did I miss something about a hidden stun gun and maybe something more lethal ???
Sarge
View Quote

You can set up he radio, not the users, Sarge.  :)

Both use a pre-set code on the unit. If that code is sent by DRtMF over the air, Stun will disable the transmitter and display text on the LCD. It will stay in this mode until a recover signal is sent.

Kill is similar, but keeps the controls locked, too.

These are more for business or other use more than any practical ham use.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 2:35:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Both use a pre-set code on the unit. If that code is sent by DRtMF over the air, Stun will disable the transmitter and display text on the LCD. It will stay in this mode until a recover signal is sent.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sarge

Does it transmit 1.25m or just 2m/440
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 3:46:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Does it crossband repeat?  I've seen where they answered that it does on Amazon but the menu options look like they might be for other types of functions with different tones, etc.  I also read a review by a European I believe that said the programming was horrible and didn't allow you to program and save repeater offsets. This was on the cousin radio QYT KT8900.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 6:44:52 PM EDT
[#19]
2m 440 xmit.

Cross band repeater seems possible given the chinglish the last few menu options.
Funny and limited tones for that function, though.  More later.

ETA: It's later.

Menu 42 selects 1000, 1450, 1730, or 2000 Hz to activate the repeater function.
Menu 43 selects the repeater mode between OFF, CARRier, CTDCS, TONE, or DTMF

The option descriptions for 42, repeater activate, all are "Launch, call single frequency tone frequency, for exciting relay station"
I need less excitement and less Chinglish in my life. LOL
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 1:01:02 AM EDT
[#20]
None of the 3.5mm cable tips on my multi USB programming cable work with the OEM software. Chirp doesn't have this one yet.

I have gotten 4 simplex freqs in and names assigned. Will delve into duplex tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 9:21:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

...I also read a review by a European I believe that said the programming was horrible and didn't allow you to program and save repeater offsets. This was on the cousin radio QYT KT8900.
View Quote

So far, if you're referring to that horribly formatted web page, belonging to G7EOB, one of  the obversations he made was about how difficult it was to assign channel names because he had to spin the channel know to select the characters. The UP/DOWN on the mic is a much faster method that he didn't seem to discover.

The connector on the power cord is a 2 blade T shaped connector that matches size and polarity with my Kenwood TM-732,

Oh, Brick O'Lore has the info about the OEM programming software here.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 9:37:28 AM EDT
[#22]
I see no indication this radio is "Tri Band", that is, that it will do 220 mhz.

There is nothing "hidden" in some of the little radios that makes them capable of 220 mhz.  The filters
will not allow it even if software programming makes them take 220 mhz frequencies.  Some people
got excited that they were able to input 220 mhz frequencies into their little Chinese radios but found
out the radios would simply not transmit.

There was a special order UV-5R model from RadioMart that was 220, it had different hardware filters
in the output.

Link Posted: 5/31/2015 11:53:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Thank you for your timely input.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 12:50:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Interesting looking radio, big turnoff being the menu squelch.    I would be interested in hearing how that functions in the real world.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 4:01:24 PM EDT
[#25]
does it really do 20/25 watts?
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#26]
No time on a meter yet. Will ETA here when I get some.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 11:08:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
does it really do 20/25 watts?
View Quote

Looks that way. This video is not me, but the wattage question has an interesting answer:

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 11:40:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Does it receive two frequencies at the same time or is it just one at a time?
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 11:43:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I see no indication this radio is "Tri Band", that is, that it will do 220 mhz.

There is nothing "hidden" in some of the little radios that makes them capable of 220 mhz.  The filters
will not allow it even if software programming makes them take 220 mhz frequencies.  Some people
got excited that they were able to input 220 mhz frequencies into their little Chinese radios but found
out the radios would simply not transmit.
View Quote

Hmmm. TYT TH-UV3R really transmits and receives 220-260 after unlocking the third band. Tested with Wouxun-669 (monoband) and SATCOM transmissions.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 12:26:20 PM EDT
[#30]
There is a dual watch function.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 10:21:33 AM EDT
[#31]
The Juentai download for the radio programming software is here.

The manual (big one-sheeter) is here.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 12:15:55 PM EDT
[#33]
The offset on memory channels question has been asked a few times now over on Amazon, and the response keeps talking about the big knob. Either there is a language problem, or the Big Knob is answering the questions in a deliberately obtuse way.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 12:17:29 PM EDT
[#34]

That guy has helped so many people, it feels good to give back a little.  :)

ETA: Mr Lore, I have been able to get simplex channels in just fine, and gotten channel names showing up on the display. What I'm not having is any luck getting offests to work on channels in memory. Dude in the UK review doesnt realize that the mic up and down buttons can select much faster than the channel knob.

...and that anonymous poster over there seems...
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 12:45:18 PM EDT
[#35]
...and another label!

VITAI VT-6188

Contact info to their web page is the same as Juentai's.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 7:46:29 PM EDT
[#36]
So how is the audio quality and signal cleanliness of this radio?

I wouldn't mind buying one but no one seems to be saying much about how they actually sound on the air.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 10:19:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
So how is the audio quality and signal cleanliness of this radio?

I wouldn't mind buying one but no one seems to be saying much about how they actually sound on the air.
View Quote

Once I get some memory channels programmed up, I'll be happy to give you an audio report. The european review was vavorable on both tx and rx audio.
VFO and manual offsets are not the kind of thing you want to do on the fly.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 10:41:45 AM EDT
[#38]
ANYONE with channel offset issues: are you programming in by hand, or using the software?

The software has separate column for tx freq, rx freq, CTCSS/DCS decode & encode, Wide/Narrow, CHNAME, and other fields.

Thanks

Link Posted: 6/4/2015 7:43:49 PM EDT
[#39]
I might go ahead an pick one of these up.

Just so we're clear, would it be a good idea to pay a little extra and go ahead and get the one that includes the programming cable?
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 8:29:32 PM EDT
[#40]
I would order the cable,  yeah.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 11:32:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Data file used by the I'm software kinda looks like a hex dump.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 11:35:17 PM EDT
[#42]
hand entered a local repeater some 15 miles away.  In low power setting  into a RS scanner ground plane,  I was reported to have full quieting and good audio.  rx audio sounded good.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 12:08:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Thanks for the info.

I'm hoping one of the different radio blogs will pick one up and see how "clean" the signal is.

Even so, I still plan on getting one.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 9:00:48 AM EDT
[#44]
... and the audio on the fm broadcast band function is glorious.  I wonder how they got low loss oxygen free monster cable in such a tiny box?

Just get one.  Even if you decide it's crap,  your out less than a ht from the big names.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 10:42:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Can you post some pictures in your hands or by a coke can? I am trying to get an idea on the size.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 2:29:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Sure,  but in the meantime,  imagine two uv5rs on their backs and side by side
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 2:48:59 PM EDT
[#47]
the real question is....

...how is the selectivity ?

At that price, I'd expect a bunch of intermod
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 4:06:38 PM EDT
[#48]
The real test would be to use the rig in an urban environment.  Intermod might be an issue for those in a big city.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 7:36:16 PM EDT
[#49]
OK gang this has got me interested as a small radio I can use in a company car that I cannot put any radio into on more than a temporary basis. I've been using a HT with a small mag mount and this would give me a bit more "git out there". Any more information?? I presume the programming cable is a must.
Sarge
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 11:09:17 PM EDT
[#50]
The best test is to grab one and test in the conditions and scenarios you envision.   Sadly,  I don't work in a radio shop or calibration lab to give lots of objective data.

If buying new,  I would certainly get the cable at the time of purchase,  but as far as I know,  the question of storing repeater offsets to memory channels  by using a cable has not been answered,  though a solid case for not being able to on the front panel is growing.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top