Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2015 1:29:53 PM EDT
I got an email ad from MTC that included "new old stock" NS-508 mics they had found stashed away & were selling for $39 (mic only, no cable).  I looked up what I could find & ordered one figuring it might be a possibility for either the TS-590S or the TM-732a VHF/UHF on the bench since I only had the coiled cord hand mic for the 732.  

Turns out it was a good match for the TM-732a.  The pinouts on the RJ-45 connectors match up so I could get away with just using a cat 5 patch cable ( I did wrap a half dozen turns around a type 61 toroid just before the radio connection).  All the buttons on the mic work fine with their labeled functions on the radio - calling freq/ VFO/ MR/ PF/ UP freq(channel)/ DWN freq(channel)/ power/ ptt/ lock.   The TM-732a supplys power so no need for batteries.  Got a "good audio" report when I went up on a repeater 48 miles down the road even though the mic was currently set for SSB rather than FM.  I have not adjusted the volume setting on the mic from the stock setting.

Don't know how it would work for the TS-590S as that would require an RJ-45 -> 8 pin round DIN type cable & I don't have a spare round connector to build from at the moment.

A linked image from universal radio:

ETA - I've made a few more contacts with the TM-732a /NS-508 combo and the reports are uniformly good.  For those who mentioned a preference, the SSB setting had a slight edge over the FM setting - but most just said "they both sound good"...  I like having a desk mic on a base unit, so this looks like a keeper.

Nick
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top