Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2015 8:02:15 AM EDT
Hey Gang..
I just got the ARRL's "ARES E-Letter"
It seems they do have a standing policy according to this and it has been in effect since last year..
Here's the excerpt. Original is about 3/4 down the page at link.
http://www.arrl.org/ares-el?issue=2015-03-18

Weapons, Safety and Personal Responsibility

Recently, I've seen questions on carrying weapons on ARES deployments. Here is the statement of Chief Executive Officer David Sumner, K1ZZ, released March 31, 2014 and supersedes any prior communication on the subject.

"Anyone seeking permission to carry weapons during an ARES deployment is to be advised that the ARRL cannot give such permission. Neither does the ARRL prohibit legal weapons, but the ARRL accepts no responsibility or liability for injury or damages to anyone as the result of possession of a weapon by an ARES volunteer. The responsibility or liability for injury or damages to anyone as a result of an individual's possession of a weapon remains with the individual. ARES volunteers must obey all federal, state, and local laws while on deployment. When supporting a served agency, ARES volunteers must also adhere to the policies of the served agency. The ARRL does not expect volunteers to participate in a dangerous activity or to place themselves in what they perceive to be a dangerous or unsafe environment. Volunteers should avoid or cease participating in any ARRL activity or deployment under circumstances which make them uncomfortable."
View Quote

So it appears to me that they're taking a rather neutral stance by saying comply with the local, state & federal laws and the policy of the served agencies.

What say the herd??

..FN..
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 8:07:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Should have been their stance all along.  They wouldn't have had to deal with the fallout from their last edict.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 8:10:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I am perfectly fine with this.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 8:12:15 AM EDT
[#3]
That's the stance they should have Originally had.  

Follow state and local laws.  No need to join in on the derp with political stances.  No doubt the original policy was due to a doushebag 'showing off his CCW' and panicking some steeple.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 8:21:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hey Gang..
It seems they do have a standing policy according to this and it has been in effect since last year..

Recently, I've seen questions on carrying weapons on ARES deployments. Here is the statement of Chief Executive Officer David Sumner, K1ZZ, released March 31, 2014 and supersedes any prior communication on the subject.

"Anyone seeking permission to carry weapons during an ARES deployment is to be advised that the ARRL cannot give such permission. Neither does the ARRL prohibit legal weapons, but the ARRL accepts no responsibility or liability for injury or damages to anyone as the result of possession of a weapon by an ARES volunteer. The responsibility or liability for injury or damages to anyone as a result of an individual's possession of a weapon remains with the individual. ARES volunteers must obey all federal, state, and local laws while on deployment. When supporting a served agency, ARES volunteers must also adhere to the policies of the served agency. The ARRL does not expect volunteers to participate in a dangerous activity or to place themselves in what they perceive to be a dangerous or unsafe environment. Volunteers should avoid or cease participating in any ARRL activity or deployment under circumstances which make them uncomfortable."
View Quote

So it appears to me that they're taking a rather neutral stance by saying comply with the local, state & federal laws and the policy of the served agencies.

What say the herd??

..FN..
View Quote

That whole thing could have been said, "It's on you, dude.  Peace!"

ETA: Sorry, I should have said "dude or dudette"

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 9:18:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I am fine with that.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 9:21:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Yep, that works for me.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 9:40:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey Gang..

What say the herd??

..FN..

This. Their policy is verbose but otherwise sound.

ETA: The part about "avoid or cease..." is a cop out. Work a response, hell anywhere in public, you meet sketchy characters. So we're supposed to just pack up and leave if some tweaker starts casing our rig?
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 9:43:27 AM EDT
[#8]
OMG

I'm quitting the ARRL

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 9:46:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Our local clubs/ares/races groups have quite a bit of armed individuals in them.  Everything from fuddish folk, to those with 2.5 ton vehicles.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top