Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2015 8:39:39 PM EDT
Fired up the MFJ-269 to do some checking of inductors. The damn thing is broke ... again. I'm done with it.

Need some field reports on the RigExpert line. Specifically the AA-54 and the AA-170.

Also I'm in need of a grid dip meter. The MFJ-269 could do that with an inexpensive set of coils. Now that it's broke I'm out a grid dip meter also. Can the RigExperts do that also? Or should I go another route?
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:42:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the 170 and like it, It's easy to use and the PC software if handy.

I took screen shots of my plots and keep them for referance.

It is a whole lot easier to tune an antenna then the old way with an SWR meter
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:48:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I know the 170 will show a dip on a coil just with a simple loop encircling it. Don't know if it compares to a purpose built dipper though.  The AA-170 has been doing a good job for me. I really like using the antscope software with it to let me archive swr sweeps for comparison at later points in time. It was my first "big ticket" (for me) HAM purchase & have no regrets.

Nick
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:04:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the 170 and love it!  I'd also never had a grip dip meter before but needed one to ID an unknown trap.  Got a "mint" 1960's grid dip meter with case & manuals on Ebay for cheap and it works great.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:46:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Page 36-37 of the aa-600 manual talks about testing Capacitors inductors. It does all kinds of cool stuff. Page 33 is cool too. (Time Domain Reflectometer) I think they made that last word up.

http://www.rigexpert.com/files/manuals/aa1000/aa-600-1000-1400-manual.pdf
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 11:33:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the older AA-200, zero regrets.  I've used a half dozen or more different models of analyzers.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 12:00:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I have the AA-54, and it works great!

Something you might check on the MFJ, the most common problem, I've been told, is the soldered connection
from circuit board to the SO-239 socket.  Reflow the solder and see if that helps.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 12:11:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a 600 and it is the cat's meow. Tuning an antenna with it almost seems like cheating.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Seems like the AA-170 is the winner. Will get one ordered.

Downloaded the manuals for both and they both will do inductor testing. Probably would be better off getting a dedicated grid dip meter but I'll give the antenna analyzer a try first.

Quoted:
Something you might check on the MFJ, the most common problem, I've been told, is the soldered connection
from circuit board to the SO-239 socket.  Reflow the solder and see if that helps.
View Quote
The issue with mine is it won't boot. Turn it on and you get the row of bars on the top line then the screen goes blank. Internal or external power it doesn't matter. It's dead Jim. Having sent it back once already I'm very reluctant to throw more money at it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 2:43:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the AA-170 and I keep finding things that it will do that I didn't even think of when I bought it.

If you hold down the X and F buttons while turning on the power, it becomes an espresso machine.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 3:45:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have the AA-170 and I keep finding things that it will do that I didn't even think of when I bought it.

If you hold down the X and F buttons while turning on the power, it becomes an espresso machine.
View Quote
I'm calling bullshit on that... It takes at least the AA-600 for that feature.  

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 3:55:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a AA-54 figuring I'm only building and tuning HF antennas.  I do have access to UHF/VHF meters on the rare occasion, if needed.  Generally I purchase commercial produced UHF/VHF antennas.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 8:39:37 PM EDT
[#12]
AA 54 here, and I only used it once, but that was after the antenna came down in an ice storm.  
I figured out the antenna problem quickly when the meter actually read infinity around 4Mhz and 16.1 on most other bands!

I have heard NOTHING good about the MFJ's.

Bill
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top