(this is ARFCOM after all)
View Quote

That will probably happen eventually

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 6:30:41 PM EDT
[#4]
KPA-500, so you can advise me on whether I need one
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 6:32:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Got the KAT500 and KPA500 a few weeks back.  The 500 watts (with my crappy dipole) makes a HUGE difference.  Now when I can hear someone I can almost always make them hear me.  The integration with the K3 is sweet - you end up with a 500W transceiver.  Worth $3000?  It was for me.

Joe
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 6:36:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Got the KAT500 and KPA500 a few weeks back.  The 500 watts (with my crappy dipole) makes a HUGE difference.  Now when I can hear someone I can almost always make them hear me.  The integration with the K3 is sweet - you end up with a 500W transceiver.  Worth $3000?  It was for me.

Joe

I'm leaning hard towards getting the KPA500 first since I already have the KAT500

Hopefully I'll have enough by the end of the month,

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 7:10:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 8:16:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Look at Acom 1000 amps before you consider a KPA500. They are whisper quiet and use cheap GU-74B tubes. Their design and build quality are above any other amps I've seen so far, including Alphas.  You get a solid kilowatt on all modes. Array solutions just received a new shipment. I sold my Commander POS amp and ordered a new Acom 1000 last week. It should be here any day.
ACOM 1000 reviews
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 8:29:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Look at Acom 1000 amps before you consider a KPA500. They are whisper quiet and use cheap GU-74B tubes. Their design and build quality are above any other amps I've seen so far, including Alphas.  You get a solid kilowatt on all modes. Array solutions just received a new shipment. I sold my Commander POS amp and ordered a new Acom 1000 last week. It should be here any day.
ACOM 1000 reviews
View Quote

I'm going with the KPA500 because it integrates into the K3 and KAT55 (tuner) seamlessly

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Joe
View Quote

100% agree, I basically did the exact same thing. My 80M OCFD could hear a lot, but making the grade on ESSB ragchews, busting pile-up's and working DX was tough. I wasn't in a position to spend $3K on antenna/towers, but the amp was an easy do. Now I can work everyone I can hear. And as my first amp it was a good choice because it is bulletproof. Accidentally try to drive it at 100W? Hah, it just laughs (beeps) at you and calls you names It worked like a charm with my Flex, and now with my ANAN. Highly recommended!

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 9:07:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Assuming you're operating SSB. If you're having trouble with the high bands, get a better antenna. If it's with the low bands, get the amp.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 6:46:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Get both!

(this is ARFCOM after all)

Then it is simply, which will you used most right now?

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:12:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm going with the KPA500 because it integrates into the K3 and KAT55 (tuner) seamlessly

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ACOM 1000 reviews

If you started using DXLabs, you could literally point and shoot
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:52:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
ACOM 1000 reviews

I may need to do that someday

The amp is winning out ,
The KX3 looks fun but I'm not sure I would use it enough to make it worth it... At least for now.

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The amp is winning out ,
The KX3 looks fun but I'm not sure I would use it enough to make it worth it... At least for now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
ACOM 1000 reviews

The amp is winning out ,

Wonder what the KX3 coupled with the KPA500 would put out?

This is justification for get both.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 7:43:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
ACOM 1000 reviews

The amp is winning out ,

I think I read that the KPA500 takes about 30 watts to drive it to 500

So maybe 175-200 ?

If things all work out I should be ordering the amp by the end of the month.
The KX3 looks very interesting, but I'm not sure it will get much use...

I had pretty much gotten fully out of radio up until a few years ago and then my son re-kindled my interest.
If I had money just to really blow I'd get build the KX3 and give it to him.

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 7:56:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I think I read that the KPA500 takes about 30 watts to drive it to 500

View Quote

That's correct.  The power out on my Flex 5000 is set from around 22 to 27 on most bands to get around 500 out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top