Most everything is sorted out and Rest Stop 1 already closed up

My station:  

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:05:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm inside this

A bit cramped though
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:43:16 PM EDT
[#3]
nice weather out for a bike ride, homie.

btw, where is that internet being piped in from?  Miami-Dade ambulance pays for some wireless access in their ambulances?

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:49:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
nice weather out for a bike ride, homie.

btw, where is that internet being piped in from?  Miami-Dade ambulance pays for some wireless access in their ambulances?

View Quote

pfffffffffftttt.

It's my iPhone hotspot lol
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:35:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
pfffffffffftttt.

It's my iPhone hotspot lol
View Quote

how long does the event go on for today, bro?  sounds like a pretty big event.  how many riders?

pretty busy on the repeaters today.  quite the job you signed up for.

ETA: where's that net control ambulance sitting at?  you guys downtown, or down in Homestead somewhere?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:46:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, pretty busy lol.

Plus we always have that ONE rider who will tough it out, dragging out everyone's time, 2 hours past the end, only to quit 15 minutes from the end.

Currently there is ONE rider holding up the tail end
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:48:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah, pretty busy lol.

Plus we always have that ONE rider who will tough it out, dragging out everyone's time, 2 hours past the end, only to quit 15 minutes from the end.

Currently there is ONE rider holding up the tail end
View Quote

QSL.  let me know when things quiet down & is a good time to call in with an ARFCOM radio check.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:05:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, that ONE rider is now getting a ride to the end

We still have riders on the course but they're much faster than this ONE

Should be done soon.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Still going!

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:30:34 PM EDT
[#11]

That's awesome.

Kudos to you for volunteering!
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 6:45:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Day 2 has begun for the volunteers.

Distributing water and such at this time.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 1:30:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Day 2 has begun for the volunteers.

Distributing water and such at this time.
View Quote

just turned my radio on for the day, homie.  you're still at it, 2nd day in a row.

hopefully you're under cover, & out of the rain.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 1:36:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Yep, in the Urban Rescue Vehicle; A/C, coffee, donuts and my laptop with iphone hotspot
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 1:41:48 PM EDT
[#15]
That's a lot  of work!!!  I work the Medical net KO5MS   6 medic services and Helo support.      You ought to get 50 Atta Boys.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 4:39:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Are you using APRS? We found it extremely helpful to track tail and SAG vehicles via Depiction and APRS. Ride officials loved having a picture of the event and it streamlined dispatching the closest vehicle to an incident.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 4:40:34 PM EDT
[#17]
arfcom repeater shoutout complete.  enjoy the rest of your weekend, homie.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 9:33:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Are you using APRS? We found it extremely helpful to track tail and SAG vehicles via Depiction and APRS. Ride officials loved having a picture of the event and it streamlined dispatching the closest vehicle to an incident.
View Quote

There is lots of room for APRS.

As it is Race Command had Verizon jump in and provide cell phones of some sort that included some big brother option. Verizon also has this web portal, Field Office Manager.

I don't know who programmed what but the phones were labeled, SAG 32, TAIL 1, SPPRT 1, etc and as the phone travelled the website would update.

I can see the upside to this deployment, no ham licenses required (I'm sure I'm missing there).

The catch I noticed is that even with a Manual Update of the screen, the unit (phone) was about 5 min behind what that Operator was telling me about their location.

I personally would love to see an event utilizing AVMap and APRS.  I know you can packet (text) over APRS, probably even create an auto updater where the APRS highlights arrival. Such as 'TAIL 1 REST STOP 4'.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 10:53:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
arfcom repeater shoutout complete.  enjoy the rest of your weekend, homie.
View Quote

Thanks.

And we were stationed at the FIU Stadium, southside. Forgot that part
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 11:18:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

As it is Race Command had Verizon jump in and provide cell phones of some sort that included some big brother option. Verizon also has this web portal, Field Office Manager.

I don't know who programmed what but the phones were labeled, SAG 32, TAIL 1, SPPRT 1, etc and as the phone travelled the website would update.

I can see the upside to this deployment, no ham licenses required (I'm sure I'm missing there).

The catch I noticed is that even with a Manual Update of the screen, the unit (phone) was about 5 min behind what that Operator was telling me about their location.

I personally would love to see an event utilizing AVMap and APRS.  I know you can packet (text) over APRS, probably even create an auto updater where the APRS highlights arrival. Such as 'TAIL 1 REST STOP 4'.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's pretty cool about the phones.

We found it very useful. Since not everybody had the ability to message from their own rig we'd relay from those that could. One of our annual events was routed through very rural Florida so we'd put someone at one of the remote rest stations as a digipeater to extend our range.

Worth looking into for your next event.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top