Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2015 9:59:32 PM EDT
I have a question for some of the more experienced hams/tech types here.  I have a Wouxun KG-UVD1P that has been in use for about two years.  No abuse or drops... it pretty much stays in my vehicle.  A few weeks ago I noticed that there is no volume when I turn it on.  If I leave it on, it sometimes starts working, but only intermittently.  I've read about the NVRAM chips that Wouxun uses are causing problems with memory on many of their units, but nothing about this effecting volume.   Any thoughts or ideas?

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:19:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Similar problem with mine.

No Volume.

But, by plugging in the lapel mic/speaker, everything works fine.

I'm guessing my problem is with the bypass switch on the speaker jack,

but haven't dug into it yet.

One day...........

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:30:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't see the appeal. A bunch of people in the club (over 10) Every last one has had a problem of some sort.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 7:42:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I have 4 (four) Wouxun HT's
1: 1D
1: 2D (my original)
2: 5D

Never a Problem?
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:13:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I think that Boo-Fang must use the same boards and parts.  I have:

UV-5R Plus (2)
UV-82 (2)
GT-3 (1)

The only problem I've had is with one UV-5R that has no modulation without the hand mic plugged in.  The LED changes color as it should, and the receiving HT shows that there's signal, but there's no audio.

After an appropriate period of swearing I remembered that when Bic pens run out of ink, they stop writing.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:14:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The only problem I've had is with one UV-5R that has no modulation without the hand mic plugged in. The LED changes color as it should, and the receiving HT shows that there's signal, but there's no audio.
View Quote

I have the same issue.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:03:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, sound's like I'm not the only one.   I guess I need to start looking for a replacement.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:12:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:34:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Life expectancy maybe?  I have several Wouxun and UV-5R HT radios and all still work without much issue...  Of course I don't turn them on and off multiple times a day for a year on end...  I have had mine for about 3 years and they all still work fine.  Hopefully they continue to do so.  

I did recently receive a UV-5RA from a buddy (same models as what I have, my primary user is actually older then his) and it has a volume level issue.  Unless you get the volume knob in the exact right place you get static audio or no audio out of the speaker.  Funny thing is I had an old Motorola talk about that did the very exact same thing a decade ago or so.  Wiggling the volume knob would make it better or worse.  Cheap parts maybe?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top