Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2015 12:55:27 PM EDT
Just came across this, and found the frequency being used  interesting...

INTERMAR (German Maritime Mobile Network) is operating on 14.313mHz at 0800Z & 1630Z.
A small yacht (callsign: DF7PA) is 1,000 nautical miles from the nearest safe harbor with a broken mast and is only making three knots speed. They are relying on Winlink and SSB via HF to guide her home. Please keep the frequency CLEAR for their emergency/priority traffic and avoid QRM!

I did a couple of quick checks and found that Intermar uses 14.300 as primary, and 14.313 as secondary.  

DF7PA is listed on the Intermar website as being on 14.313.  Website in German: http://www.intermar-ev.de/

I can't imagine a worse frequency to use for an emergency situation.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:59:02 PM EDT
[#1]
No kidding...but...it might be just the excuse the Feds need to clean house...not that they haven't been active or anything
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:17:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I have 14.313 programmed OUT of my radios.

I can honestly say I have never been on or near that frequency.

You can SEE me around 14.230 - 14.236 - SSTV and DSSTV

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:18:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No kidding...but...it might be just the excuse the Feds need to clean house...not that they haven't been active or anything
View Quote

The Feds so seem to be paying attention to that frequency quite a bit lately.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:20:59 PM EDT
[#4]
They just fined the clowns on 14.313 mhz some big money.

14.313 mhz used to be used as an alternate frequency for the emergency maritime nets, but was then taken over by the clowns.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:33:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They just fined the AMERICAN clowns on 14.313 mhz some big money..
View Quote

It's gonna take a Commando raid to Vancouver, BC to get the main troublemaker off the air because the Canadian FCC ain't gonna do squat.

ETA either that or an 0300 commando raid with a Sawzall.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:02:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It's gonna take a Commando raid to Vancouver, BC to get the main troublemaker off the air because the Canadian FCC ain't gonna do squat.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

fucking JDAM would do the trick
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess I am out of touch with reality and my white privelage etc...$11k doesn't sound like a massive fine when some of the guys probably have close to that sunk in their equipment.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

14.313 mhz used to be used as the primary frequency for the emergency maritime nets, but was then taken over by the clowns.
View Quote
fify  I know most of you don't go back that far.  I used to be there 2 or 3 days a week.  They moved to 14.300 because of the problems.  I had several regulars that I would meet with there.  Once we made contact we would usually move to 14.308 and down to a clear frequency.  At that time I had a heathkit HB101, SB200 and Mosley TA33 at 60 ft.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:13:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

14.313 mhz used to be used as an alternate frequency for the emergency maritime nets, but was then taken over by the clowns.
View Quote

Send the clowns back to CB.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:45:32 AM EDT
[#10]
I heard some guy calling CQ on 14.313 this last weekend  (no, I mean a legitimate CQ). He made quite a few QSOs while I was listening. Of course, there were the usual asshats stepping on him and trying to interfere.

Perhaps there is a push to take back over the freq. If the FCC would do their part, it could be made better, but without the Canucks pitching in, it will be a nut job honeyhole.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:51:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I suggest a small team raid to spike the antenna lines.  A needle connecting center lead to coax will bring an end to his finals if he doesn't check/tune before keying up.
A group used this solution to deal with CB'r running a linear back in the mid-70's.  It was a final solution.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:23:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Cut coax add 110volt plug , plug into outside of house.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:25:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I suggest a small team raid to spike the antenna lines.  A needle connecting center lead to coax will bring an end to his finals if he doesn't check/tune before keying up.
A group used this solution to deal with CB'r running a linear back in the mid-70's.  It was a final solution.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately with any rig made in the last 30 or so years, the rig will either fold back power when it detects the fault, it may just trip the radio off, or the auto antenna tuner will load it up anyway.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:07:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I guess I am out of touch with reality and my white privelage etc...$11k doesn't sound like a massive fine when some of the guys probably have close to that sunk in their equipment.
View Quote

They frequently seize the gear too.  First fine.  More for failure to pay.  Loss of license.
Fines increase exponentially for repeat offenses.  Felony convictions are possible if you really push it.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:13:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Here is a guy who was sentenced to seven years in federal prison for being an asshole on the radio.

And, you will notice that since his release, he is at it again.

I think it is safe to say at this point that he has serious mental issues and needs to leave society (back to prison).
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:16:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I use 313 for calling cq. If you ignore the morons, it's a lot of fun. Kinda like operating in unfriendly territory trying to get your message through.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:32:56 PM EDT
[#17]
We had a pretty good night there
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top