Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2015 1:41:35 AM EDT
I have a question for you guys. I know we can't broadcast on our radios, and we can't play music or what not (unless ISS is involve). But back before New Years I got sent from work across town around this time one night and heard a local 2m repeater link up to a IRLP as I was scanning around. What was going on wasn't really a net, but was more of a news show. I mean, it sounded JUST like a news show. It was all Ham based, talking about how Hams have used their radios to help out in emergencies and such. It was pretty cool little show, and the repeater unlinked before I got to find out what the heck it actually was.

Anyone know what the heck that might have been?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:21:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably Amateur Radio Newsline.

There's a fine line between broadcasting and messages of general interest to amateur radio operators.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:57:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Some repeaters play programs that are of general interest to the amateur community which are one of the exempt conditions for broadcasting.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:36:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Our local repeater plays the Amateur Radio Newsline on one night and the RAIN Report on another night.

I am not a lawyer but there is some kind of an exception for programs like this that are of general amateur interest. This has been approved and has been done for years.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:15:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Podcast Guest George has spoken about the Bay-Net repeaters airing the programs listed above.  Sounds like a pretty good idea esp. after hours
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:11:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not complaining, it sounded like a pretty neat show and I was curious about it (hence the post) so I could look up more info on it. I also wanted a bit of clarification on that broadcasting question, I figured it was okay since it seemed rather well put together.

Thanks for the info guys!
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:32:10 PM EDT
[#6]
The ARRL has been doing it for decades with their daily bulletins and code practice transmissions.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:37:59 PM EDT
[#7]
There are a few amateur radio specific programs that are acceptable for replay over the amateur service. The ARRL newsletter, Amateur Radio Newsline, and The RAIN Report. The ARRL newsletter is frequently heard on the HF bands.

As for the legality here's something from the Technician question pool. Question T1D10 if you want to look it up. Also reference CFR 97.3(a)(10).

Q- What is the meaning of the term 'broadcasting' in the FCC rules for the amateur services?
A- Transmissions intended for reception by the general public .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top