Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2015 8:30:49 AM EDT
http://www.arrl.org/news/view/fcc-fines-pennsylvania-ham-11-500-for-causing-intentional-interference

In both instances, the FCC said, it responded in March 2014 to “several complaints of intentional interference” on 14.313 MHz, and Commission agents used radio direction-finding techniques to pin down the transmission sources. According to the NAL issued to Crow, FCC agents monitored transmissions from his station for approximately 3 hours on March 14, 2014, and heard him transmit slow-scan television (SSTV) signals and “a pre-recorded voice transmission of another amateur station on the frequency.”
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:33:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Assholes will be Assholes.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:39:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Good, for once a GOVT listening does something worthwhile.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:52:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I remember listening around that time and hearing some discussion that either he or another op on 313 was transmitting a photo of his call sign in the SSTV signal.  The claim was the FCC requires ID but does not specify the power or format.  Also one of the guys was turning his power down to 1 watt so that you could not hear his call sign when he transmitted it.  I kept thinking wow, these guys are doing everything they can to get slapped.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:59:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I figured the FCC would leave 14,313 all alone and concentrate more on the common idiots that buy a 2m rig and destroy all repeaters in his neighborhood.  
One of the culprits Brian Crow, moved from PA to Boynton Beach, FL. near my sister & BIL's home.  Hopefully he sold all of his rigs prior to the move.

Bill
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:27:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:41:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Google the FL address.  That address is not the only licensed station using that same box at the mail store.  Maybe he never physically moved from PA.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:45:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I saw the address was a commercial building, and did not search beyond that.  I guess that is the official 14,313 address...

Bill

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Google the FL address.  That address is not the only licensed station using that same box at the mail store.  Maybe he never physically moved from PA.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:01:02 AM EDT
[#8]
It's good to see some enforcement.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:43:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Good....and for those of you here that secretly enjoy taking part in the chaos on 14.313.....be forewarned.  

Never let the man in you life.  

It seems he might actually be listening there.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:04:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Good....and for those of you here that secretly enjoy taking part in the chaos on 14.313.....be forewarned.  

View Quote

I listen occasionally and never transmit on 313.  Its like a radio version of Jerry Springer.  Its fun to watch but I never wanted to be a guest on the show.   I found it humorous learning new ways to insult others.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:29:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I figured the FCC would leave 14,313 all alone and concentrate more on the common idiots that buy a 2m rig and destroy all repeaters in his neighborhood.  
One of the culprits Brian Crow, moved from PA to Boynton Beach, FL. near my sister & BIL's home.  Hopefully he sold all of his rigs prior to the move.

Bill
View Quote

Are you speaking of hams or just people with radios?
How do they destroy the repeater?
Please shed more info on this.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:39:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bill

San Antonio was having a big problem with 146.520.

http://www.wx5us.us/project146.52.html

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:44:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bill

Just put a carrier on the input?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:47:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm positive he is.

On a related note, I was reading a few weeks ago that apparently the FCC DF system got an upgrade
in the last couple years. If it's using what I think it's using (GPS sync'd TOA receivers) they can pin down a
HF transmission to within a few miles with a single transmission that need only be a second long, if that.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:20:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I listen occasionally and never transmit on 313.  Its like a radio version of Jerry Springer.  Its fun to watch but I never wanted to be a guest on the show.   I found it humorous learning new ways to insult others.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its like listening to the truckers on channel 19 CB.  Just chaos and foolishness.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:35:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:39:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 4:16:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, if I am surfing ARFCOM I will sometimes set the radio to 14.313 just to listen to the silliness.

Occasionally, they are actually entertaining.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 4:32:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yep, if I am surfing ARFCOM I will sometimes set the radio to 14.313 just to listen to the silliness.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:00:07 PM EDT
[#20]
The trouble with shutting down the clowns here in the US is, that just let's Karl go more nuts.

Turn it on, it is worse (or as good) as ever, Donnie!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:14:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It's good to see some enforcement.
View Quote

Yep.

Fuck those idiots

It's not what ham radio is about.  

for me 20m = 14.000-14.220'ish
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:29:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm positive he is.

On a related note, I was reading a few weeks ago that apparently the FCC DF system got an upgrade
in the last couple years. If it's using what I think it's using (GPS sync'd TOA receivers) they can pin down a
HF transmission to within a few miles with a single transmission that need only be a second long, if that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm positive he is.

but my 300bps transmitter needs a few seconds to send the messages and even longer on 75bps...
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:02:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Do you think the fines will ever actually be paid?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:24:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
http://www.arrl.org/news/view/fcc-fines-pennsylvania-ham-11-500-for-causing-intentional-interference

In both instances, the FCC said, it responded in March 2014 to “several complaints of intentional interference” on 14.313 MHz, and Commission agents used radio direction-finding techniques to pin down the transmission sources. According to the NAL issued to Crow, FCC agents monitored transmissions from his station for approximately 3 hours on March 14, 2014, and heard him transmit slow-scan television (SSTV) signals and “a pre-recorded voice transmission of another amateur station on the frequency.”
View Quote

View Quote

I always wondered about the psychology behind guys who disrupt frequencies like that.

Back in the 80's in my hometown there was a guy with some kind of overpowered CB radio and he'd spend hours with his mike keyed talking, whistling, or just playing whatever was on his TV. We named him "Pickledick."

It seems like a lot of effort just to annoy people.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:36:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Back in the 80's in my hometown there was a guy with some kind of overpowered CB radio and he'd spend hours with his mike keyed talking, whistling, or just playing whatever was on his TV. We named him "Pickledick."

View Quote

Around that same time I was dabbling with CB and in town there was a guy that would get on and repeat "bababooey" over and over for hours.  It was not a recording as he would pause and interact with people bitching at him but still saying the same thing just changing his tone.  

roughly 15 years later I turned on the radio and sure enough the same voice calling the same thing.   I have to wonder if he waited that long and just happened to be doing it the same days I was listening or if he had been doing it for the last 15 years without getting caught.  What a mental giant it takes to do something like that.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:49:55 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I always wondered about the psychology behind guys who disrupt frequencies like that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

In both instances, the FCC said, it responded in March 2014 to "several complaints of intentional interference” on 14.313 MHz, and Commission agents used radio direction-finding techniques to pin down the transmission sources. According to the NAL issued to Crow, FCC agents monitored transmissions from his station for approximately 3 hours on March 14, 2014, and heard him transmit slow-scan television (SSTV) signals and "a pre-recorded voice transmission of another amateur station on the frequency.”

Same folks that drive at the speed limit (or just under) in the left lane and refuse to move over to let you pass.

Some folks get immense enjoyment out of being assholes--I subscribe to the small dick theory.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:02:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Around that same time I was dabbling with CB and in town there was a guy that would get on and repeat "bababooey" over and over for hours.  It was not a recording as he would pause and interact with people bitching at him but still saying the same thing just changing his tone.  

roughly 15 years later I turned on the radio and sure enough the same voice calling the same thing.   I have to wonder if he waited that long and just happened to be doing it the same days I was listening or if he had been doing it for the last 15 years without getting caught.  What a mental giant it takes to do something like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh hell no, why would you think that he just picked two nights out of a span of 15 years to engage in faggotry. You know he has been doing it for decades from his mom's basement.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:24:44 PM EDT
[#28]
I have not checked lately but I wonder if he finally moved to Canada and got his ham license.  :-)
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:33:59 AM EDT
[#29]
There is a guy here in town who was fined by FCC three times. Each fine was $8,000 if I remember correctly. The best part is...... he is a school teacher.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:59:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A dollar and, hell, make that two dollars and two donuts, they are on welfare and living in section 8 on your dime and mine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top